Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4464 4465 [4466] 4467 4468 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8936037 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66975 on: October 27, 2013, 05:16:22 pm »

people don't know that scotland is a country

oy
What most people see as a country, is not what Scotland is anyway. Unless Owlbread dream comes true of course :P

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66976 on: October 27, 2013, 05:29:49 pm »

If you want to be technical, the United Kingdom is a union of 4 "countries" (fuck Cornwall).

In practice, esp. before devolution in Scotland, Wales, and North Ireland, it's one country. Internationally, the U.K. speaks for all of them. Internally, most things are decided on a U.K. wide scale.

... If I'm wrong, tell me~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66977 on: October 27, 2013, 05:43:45 pm »

Internally, certain things (predominantly public sector issues like education, healthcate etc) are devolved to the individual nations, though Scotland has greater autonomy in this regard, NI the least, and Wales somewhere between the two. this makes for interesting times when opposing parties wield power, such as is the case now in Wales, where we have a Labour/Plaid coalition taking our public sector in a very different direction (where legallaly able to do so) from the Tories in London, with what limited funds Westminster provides.
This is a blank sig.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #66978 on: October 27, 2013, 05:49:02 pm »

Heh. I honestly have no idea what the provincial... people do we elect :P. I think the only reason people ever bother to vote for them is because they in turn vote for our senators.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66979 on: October 27, 2013, 06:03:47 pm »

If you want to be technical, the United Kingdom is a union of 4 "countries" (fuck Cornwall).

In practice, esp. before devolution in Scotland, Wales, and North Ireland, it's one country. Internationally, the U.K. speaks for all of them. Internally, most things are decided on a U.K. wide scale.

... If I'm wrong, tell me~

You are 100% correct except the Northern Irish tend not to like being called a country, they prefer to be called a Province. That goes for the Loyalists anyway, the Republicans don't even consider it a province because they will correctly point out the existence of Donegal, a large part of Ulster which is in the Republic of Ireland. The whole "country" thing is just Westminster deceit though, Scotland is less than a colony. We're barely a province. We've been colonized by wankers and so forth, cue Irvine Welsh quotes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 06:05:47 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #66980 on: October 27, 2013, 06:08:07 pm »

The whole "country" thing is just Westminster deceit though, Scotland is less than a colony. We're barely a province. We've been colonized by wankers and so forth, cue Irvine Welsh quotes.
I hope Scotland will never get independent, as I never want this to end :3

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66981 on: October 27, 2013, 06:11:36 pm »

Heh, at least you dont get called a "Principality", which pretty much translates into "yeah, you arent important".
This is a blank sig.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66982 on: October 27, 2013, 06:13:11 pm »

Nah, what'll happen is that Scotland goes indie, Wales and North Ireland go "Uh... Can we join you guys?", the Republic of Ireland decides "Hey, why not make a Celtic union?"

And England is left out in the cold.

... Fuck Cornwall.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66983 on: October 27, 2013, 06:33:45 pm »

people don't know that scotland is a country

oy
Scotland, Scotland...

OH! You must mean that place with the leprechauns and four leaf clovers!
MURDER.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66984 on: October 27, 2013, 06:53:12 pm »

The Celtic Union is almost certainly going to happen. There's already a "Celtic League". You're also forgetting the Isle of Man and Brittany being thrown into this mix.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66985 on: October 27, 2013, 07:24:17 pm »

I actually have the Scottish flag hanging in my bedroom, right behind me. It is glorious.

On a sad note, I was just told one of my friends might be depressed to the point of suicide. She wouldn't be the only friend I know to be that depressed, but she's responsible for pretty much all of the progress I've made socially. Without her friendship, I probably wouldn't have the confidence I needed to pull out of the self-depression rut as much as I have.
I really want to be there for her now, and I'm kicking myself because I really should've been closer to her over the summer. I've been so caught up with how much I needed her friendship that I'd forgotten to be a friend to her.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66986 on: October 27, 2013, 08:15:32 pm »

~Snip~

Any experience with it yourself?

There's this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which isn't just one single suggestion. Read into it about 8 layers.

Also, read hyperbole and a half's pages on depression.

I really got close to my GF because we were both going through some pretty bad shit together, and still do on occasion. What really helps, above anything else, is knowing that somebody cares for you. Show her that you do.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66987 on: October 27, 2013, 08:20:23 pm »

Oh, and under no circumstances do you even think about anything but discouraging her from suicide. Don't be harsh - but be sensible. And let her know that suicide is anything but.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66988 on: October 27, 2013, 09:11:22 pm »

~Snip~

Any experience with it yourself?

There's this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Which isn't just one single suggestion. Read into it about 8 layers.

Also, read hyperbole and a half's pages on depression.

I really got close to my GF because we were both going through some pretty bad shit together, and still do on occasion. What really helps, above anything else, is knowing that somebody cares for you. Show her that you do.
I've gotten pretty damn close in the past, but my brother was suicidal once. Several other friends of mine have admitted they cut themselves, either in the past or in the present. This is even worse than those times though. I've decided no matter how bad things get, I'm not going to give up, and I'm not that close with my brother.

So I understand some of what she's going through. It's unrequited love (to simplify it) so I understand that too. She isn't at rock bottom, I don't think, but I'm really worried about what's going to happen when the penny drops and she realizes it won't work out with her and her friend. Until then, it's just rumors and judgement, which sucks.

I want to let her know she means a lot to me and that she's important to me, but not in a way that would seem fake or like I was just trying to tell her so she wouldn't do anything drastic.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66989 on: October 27, 2013, 09:27:16 pm »

As an American, I know only one thing about Scotland. It isn't kilts, it bagpipes, or Braveheart, because all that stuff has been absorbed into American culture, though not to the extent that I would like. No, what I know is that there is a Chinese takeaway opening soon in Galashiels, and you should go visit it when it opens, because my sister and brother-in-law want anonymous feedback.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 4464 4465 [4466] 4467 4468 ... 8159