Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4462 4463 [4464] 4465 4466 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9530608 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66945 on: October 26, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »

Personalsad: having the longest 5 hour shift ever. I've talked to one customer over two hours. How do office supplies stores stay in business?

Also, what Solifuge said.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:11:09 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66946 on: October 26, 2013, 04:59:28 pm »

I have not enough money to do all the cool things I want to.
When I get paid again I shall have to re-organize my spending for maximum coolness.
Also money for food would probably be a plus... Meh, I'm more worried about missing a cool gig tonight. :¢ Gonna have to make up for that tomorrow.

Yeah that's me too. I'm going to Canada to visit my lady and I want to have money and also not be eye-scratchingly broke.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66947 on: October 26, 2013, 05:34:29 pm »

there is tea running down my sleeve and I just don't fucking care anymore

I didn't know you bleed tea Vector.  :P
Joking aside, what happened?

Kind of sick, made myself some tea, and I'm clumsy so I spilled it all over myself without really noticing.

Also I took some Nyquil last night and slept thirteen hours, and now I feel like shit in the way you uniquely do upon drugging yourself and waking up at 2:30 PM.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66948 on: October 26, 2013, 05:44:45 pm »

How do office supplies stores stay in business?
I assume that they hold banks hostage for bailouts. If the supply stores go out of business, the banks will rapidly run out of their primary raw materials for business.

now I feel like shit in the way you uniquely do upon drugging yourself and waking up at 2:30 PM.
Big cup of water and an extreme temperature change have been helpful for me here. That's happened to me... too often. At least the sleep 13 hours part. The drugging part is rarer since I reduced the booze intake. Take a hot shower, when you're done drop to cold, perhaps?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #66949 on: October 26, 2013, 07:33:16 pm »

People saying mean things about me on the internet. Some shame and shock at my upset too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #66950 on: October 26, 2013, 07:37:11 pm »

People saying mean things about me on the internet. Some shame and shock at my upset too.
It's the internet, whether or not you believe it should be that way it's going to happen. Depending on the situation either dismiss it as stupid, baseless insults or see it as a crude, yet potentially effective form of criticism.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66951 on: October 26, 2013, 07:39:33 pm »

It's generally best to ignore anything with vitriol. If they were actually trying to give constructive criticism, they wouldn't use insults.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #66952 on: October 26, 2013, 07:44:36 pm »

It's generally best to ignore anything with vitriol. If they were actually trying to give constructive criticism, they wouldn't use insults.
Any kind of criticism is good criticism, you just have to learn not to get offended easily. Constructive criticism is much more useful granted, but if you find yourself ignoring all kinds of criticism that isn't constructive, you'll end up eventually ignoring the constructive kind as well.

But seriously, it's the internet. It sucks to be insulted, but just suck it up and take it all in stride.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66953 on: October 26, 2013, 07:50:23 pm »

Slippery slope fallacy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #66954 on: October 26, 2013, 07:53:30 pm »

Slippery slope fallacy.
Fallacist's Fallacy.
Welcome to Reality.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66955 on: October 26, 2013, 07:55:29 pm »

You have a cogent argument for "ignoring non-constructive criticism will lead you to ignore all criticism?"

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #66956 on: October 26, 2013, 07:56:27 pm »

You have a cogent argument for "ignoring non-constructive criticism will lead you to ignore all criticism?"
I was just showing how easy it was to reply to a statement by just stating a fallacy.
Welcome to Reality.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #66957 on: October 26, 2013, 08:17:27 pm »

Usually I have thicker skin. Some of it was arguably constructive, but stemmed mostly from a difference in taste. I doubt they thought I'd even read it (internet feeling both private and public despite usually being the latter).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66958 on: October 26, 2013, 08:43:04 pm »

Any kind of criticism is good criticism
Let's go with "no" for a thousand, Alex.

Unfounded criticism is as bad as it is useless, and should be rejected out of hand. It serves no purpose for anyone but the critic (if that), and considering it is a waste of time and effort.

And while not a hundred percent correlation, I've found a very strong negative trend between use of vulgarity and insult and the usefulness of criticism. As one goes up, the other tends to go down proportionately. There's exceptions, of course, but they're rare -- and usually only effect the intensity of the trend, not its existence.

Especially if you're having to deal with a large body of such things, or your ability to filter data is time constrained, it's highly likely that adopting the heuristic "reject criticism that includes insults and/or vulgarity" is one that is going to effect the benefit you gain from considering what criticism you deal with very, very little.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #66959 on: October 26, 2013, 08:46:29 pm »

I wasn't even trying to get into the argument of what is and isn't good criticism, I was just trying to say that if you got upset or deeply offended by everything directed at you on the internet, you'd be upset on a nearly daily basis. Should it be that way? Arguable either way depending on your point of view. If you don't want it to upset you as much, then either you change how people on the internet act or just learn to ignore it.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 4462 4463 [4464] 4465 4466 ... 8169