Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4461 4462 [4463] 4464 4465 ... 8169

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9530395 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66930 on: October 26, 2013, 08:26:08 am »

General discussion, page 1

SEVEN spambot threads.

I think this forum needs an improvement in anti-spambot measures.

Spambots? what are you talking about :P

i have two pages of threads with unread replies after i wake up

and i don't touch more than half of them since i can't be bothered to turn off post notifications

had i browsed only said replies, you'd be unable to see my glory in the amount of threads you're allowed to do so in now

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #66931 on: October 26, 2013, 10:37:52 am »

How am I supposed to go to college when it seems my family can't afford it? :X I need a scholarship to not go bankrupt mid-semester. And everyone knows how rare those are.

That's assuming I even get into a uni. A recent fight with mi madre has put me in a sombre mood.

edit: My mom also wants me to stop going to bay12 forums because clearly, being "bay 12 games forum" it's related to games and makes me want to play them.

edit2: ... I don't know what to do anymore...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:00:07 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66932 on: October 26, 2013, 11:12:37 am »

why do people suck at logic
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66933 on: October 26, 2013, 11:12:54 am »

How much time do you spend in the Mathematics Help Thread or the Programming Help Thread, or any of the other ones that you can point to as clear "They help me study" things? If none so far, start posting in them just so you have something to point to.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66934 on: October 26, 2013, 11:13:10 am »

why do people suck at logic

why does logic suck at people

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66935 on: October 26, 2013, 11:21:51 am »

Stop trying to get into an American university, for one. Try a Canadian one, they're cheaper and you get the same education. Really, there's no point in going to any of the three types of American universities. The prestigous you go to just for the name, you don't learn jack shit. The public ones are more expensive than Canada's and for not much better learning, if at all better. And the private ones... Well... *cough* Just no.

Besides, Canada could use smart people! And you're a smart cookie. :>

Edeet: Oh god I sound like Owlbread is about Scotland. @_@
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66936 on: October 26, 2013, 11:24:27 am »

Stop trying to get into an American university, for one. Try a Canadian one, they're cheaper and you get the same education. Really, there's no point in going to any of the three types of American universities. The prestigous you go to just for the name, you don't learn jack shit. The public ones are more expensive than Canada's and for not much better learning, if at all better. And the private ones... Well... *cough* Just no.

Gaze not into Scotland, lest Scotland gazeth into thee.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #66937 on: October 26, 2013, 11:27:34 am »

How much time do you spend in the Mathematics Help Thread or the Programming Help Thread, or any of the other ones that you can point to as clear "They help me study" things? If none so far, start posting in them just so you have something to point to.
Any arguments that bay12 games isn't actually about games is swiftly denied :( I see no way out of any of my problems

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66938 on: October 26, 2013, 11:29:24 am »

Any arguments that bay12 games isn't actually about games is swiftly denied :( I see no way out of any of my problems
You could point to DF itself: "You call this a game? This is madness!"
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66939 on: October 26, 2013, 11:30:52 am »

I actually started doing that for a specific reason. If you read my early posts they aren't at all like that. I decided a year or two ago that I wanted to raise the profile of my country as a country in online communities and educate people, so I decided I'd talk about it a lot in that way. It's worked I think. There's nothing to be ashamed of about it though, Canada is an interesting place that deserves greater attention and if you advertise it then you're just doing your bit.

All this said, if we vote no next year I will probably never talk about Scotland again.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:34:15 am by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66940 on: October 26, 2013, 11:36:13 am »

I actually started doing that for a specific reason. If you read my early posts they aren't at all like that. I decided a year or two ago that I wanted to raise the profile of my country as a country in online communities, so I decided I'd talk about it a lot in that way. It's worked I think. There's nothing to be ashamed of about it though, Canada is an interesting place that deserves greater attention.

you know what country deserves more attention?

tajikistan

now while your countries are nice and deserve attention you do get attention while the least time i heard about tajikistan on the internet was when i brought it up myself (and if i started to bring it up regularly, i'd probably be assumed to be sarcastically mocking your respective ones anyhow)

remember tajikistan 2013

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66941 on: October 26, 2013, 11:38:14 am »

I love talking about Tajikistan. I've done it a few times I think but the opportunity doesn't come up enough. I'm particularly interested in stuff like the Yaghnobi people and their ancient language that is very closely related to Sogdian. I will always however stand up for the independence of the people of Gorno-Badakhshan from their Tajik overlords.

The country I have actually never heard come up in conversation (ever) is the Central African Republic.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 11:40:37 am by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66942 on: October 26, 2013, 11:48:09 am »

the central african republic pops up a bit actually, though only in the context of being a source of blood diamonds

i'm not sure if the pamiri could... well, handle this much land if the tajiks and kyrgyz seem to have an interest in it. there's also a fair deal of economical issues, though if we want to go in depth we might be wanting to find and resurrect that central asian politics thread for our purposes

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66943 on: October 26, 2013, 11:49:34 am »

I'm familiar with the CAR, as it ranks as one of the worst places on Earth. North Korea, Sudan, Somalia, and Saudi Arabia are the only ones that are worse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66944 on: October 26, 2013, 01:01:42 pm »

Explain that it's a discussion board run by an American Computer Programmer and Doctor of Mathematics from Stanford named Tarn Adams? Whom she can also look up online, in news and Wikipedia, because he' sort of famous? And also is the creator of an incredibly complex world-simulation engine that's featured in an Art Museum, because it's so intelligently designed and intricate? And that many of the people who discuss on the board are college-bound students, or college students/graduates from the UK and US, and help each other with academics, sharing and learning computer programming, and undertaking other creative enterprises?

Because those are all things.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 01:03:16 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 4461 4462 [4463] 4464 4465 ... 8169