Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4442 4443 [4444] 4445 4446 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473390 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66645 on: October 19, 2013, 08:04:39 pm »

Not without hunting up a recipe or whatev', no. I'm not terribly fond of it (I mean, it's alright, but... not something I'd go out of my way to cook.), so I haven't gone out of my way to learn how.

Unless it's the (edible, if highly subpar) frozen stuff. That's easy :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #66646 on: October 19, 2013, 08:28:52 pm »

Today is Homecoming, and I'm staying home.
I want to go, but I know I'll just stand awkwardly by myself, hanging off a wall. Or I'll end up hiding in the bathroom.

Either way: fuck that.

School dances and crap like homecoming are really only interesting if you're an extroverted, popular, socially adept individual with a date and tons of friends. Otherwise it's pretty stupid. Extrovert privileges.

I'm kinda tempted to go to mine next week, in the sense that it's my senior year and I'm interested in just how lame of a thing it is. Also I want to see what music is played at these things. I'd probably hate it because I'm introverted, socially inept, have few friends, no date, and I don't like any of the pop or dance music I'm assuming they'd play at these things. But still, I gotta go, I can't just not go to the school dances on senior year, right? [/sarcasm]
---
@egg conversation: I'm impressed at the wide variety of topics this forum can talk about. From the science of Hitler committing genocide by stabbing everyone in the face himself to the ethics of eating animals compared to banging them to how eating meat is less efficient than eating bugs to how Einstein didn't like eggs. Bay12.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66647 on: October 19, 2013, 08:31:38 pm »

... eggs do pretty well cooked into a lot of other things. Eggs and rice, ferex. S'other stuff, too, but that's the only one I know how to proper cook, as opposed to cooking the eggs separately and stirring them in.
Are you saying you don't know how to make French toast?
I used to love french toast when i was much younger, though I never liked just plain eggs. Then my aunt had to go and ruin it for me. She soaked a piece of bread in eggs. Like, completely saturated it. Then barely cooked it. Could never stomach even the good stuff after that.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66648 on: October 19, 2013, 08:54:46 pm »

Today is Homecoming, and I'm staying home.
I want to go, but I know I'll just stand awkwardly by myself, hanging off a wall. Or I'll end up hiding in the bathroom.

Either way: fuck that.

School dances and crap like homecoming are really only interesting if you're an extroverted, popular, socially adept individual with a date and tons of friends. Otherwise it's pretty stupid. Extrovert privileges.
Um... I am extroverted.

I just suck at it.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66649 on: October 19, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »

I'm not very good at writing...

I wanna write a alt. hist. fic about what a Gaelic empire that formed in opposition to the Roman Empire while it was still growing (Say, around 100BC, after Spain has been conquered but before Gaul has been touched?)

Possibly with the addition of two early techs, railroads and telegraphs (Plus the more obvious attendant techs, like electric lighting and coal power. But no guns!)

BUT I'M NOT GOOD AT WRITINGGGG ;-;
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66650 on: October 19, 2013, 09:25:22 pm »

The motto of every bowel-movement suicide bomber...
Actually, that motto is
Pretzels+water+pretzels+water x50
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66651 on: October 19, 2013, 10:39:46 pm »

I'm not very good at writing...

I wanna write a alt. hist. fic about what a Gaelic empire that formed in opposition to the Roman Empire while it was still growing (Say, around 100BC, after Spain has been conquered but before Gaul has been touched?)

Possibly with the addition of two early techs, railroads and telegraphs (Plus the more obvious attendant techs, like electric lighting and coal power. But no guns!)

BUT I'M NOT GOOD AT WRITINGGGG ;-;
You'd be surprised at how much of that is simply a lack of confidence blocking you from following through on your best ideas.

But hey, if you want writing help/tips, let me know. I doubt I could ever write a book, but that's mainly because I lack creativity. I'm actually pretty decent at writing itself, when it comes down to it.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66652 on: October 19, 2013, 11:19:27 pm »

Writing 101:
1: Disregard what you were told to write like in school because it will probably end up reading as either pretentious or unoriginal.
2: Write something
3: Read that something
4: Change the bits you don't like

I'm still stuck on step 1, because I kind of need to go through with all that arbitrary shit to satisfy the examining boards.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66653 on: October 19, 2013, 11:34:59 pm »

Especially disregard all the grammar rules you were taught. If you have any reason to break a grammar rule, break it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66654 on: October 19, 2013, 11:55:08 pm »

Yes speak you how you want to and don't afraid of anything.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66655 on: October 19, 2013, 11:59:11 pm »

Let me rephrase that: If you have a good reason to break a grammar rule, break it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 12:03:26 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66656 on: October 20, 2013, 12:02:34 am »

Writing 101:
1: Disregard what you were told to write like in school because it will probably end up reading as either pretentious or unoriginal.

I'm still stuck on step 1, because I kind of need to go through with all that arbitrary shit to satisfy the examining boards.
I'm sorry, but rule #1 of writing is "Read". Read something close to what you want to write. If that doesn't exist, fuck it, read anything. Now take the book you just read, read it it again, and this time watch how they use language.

The rest of your numbers are correct.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66657 on: October 20, 2013, 12:03:38 am »

Let me rephrase that: If you have a good/i] reason to break a grammar rule, break it.
;)

Same goes for any "rule" in any form of art, incidentally.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #66658 on: October 20, 2013, 12:14:15 am »

I don't know. I like the Grammar rule that says "Avoid ambiguity; rephrase and simplify". A lot of sentences would be more readable if they obeyed this rule. A lot of people tend to simply flip the bird at the rules of grammar, and the logical conclusion that they are misunderstood. English is only ambiguous when you make it so,.

Most people fear Grammar. but it's very useful. I can use semicolons without fear; I keep the tenses in line. The odd thing is I simply don't remember the actual names for what I remember.
Yes, speak as you wish; don't fear anything.
I could go full Grammar Nazi any day now. I just don't have the will.
Writing 101:

I'm sorry, but rule #1 of writing is "Read". Read something close to what you want to write. If that doesn't exist, fuck it, read anything. Now take the book you just read, read it it again, and this time watch how they use language.

The rest of your numbers are correct.
This too. I went from shitty to decent at writing without actually doing much writing. Reading and learning, noting how so-and-so is done. You notice certain writing conventions, you notice how a certain thing is accomplished, etc.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66659 on: October 20, 2013, 12:18:09 am »

Random anecdote: I was writing a crappy fanfiction ages ago, and decided to look for a book around the house to get some examples of prose. Except bibles, I could not find a single book of fiction.  It was horrible.
Pages: 1 ... 4442 4443 [4444] 4445 4446 ... 8167