Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4438 4439 [4440] 4441 4442 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9474076 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66585 on: October 17, 2013, 07:11:11 pm »

Oh for fucks sake. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER AMERICA.
They kinda did.
Until February.
Okay, vote on killing off all US politicians and making them start over. All in favour?
*raises hand*

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66586 on: October 17, 2013, 07:12:54 pm »

Oh for fucks sake. GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER AMERICA.
They kinda did.
Until February.
Okay, vote on killing off all US politicians and making them start over. All in favour?
*raises hand*
*cellphone*
Yo, Galactus. Mind making a house call?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66587 on: October 17, 2013, 07:13:46 pm »

Eh, statistically there's bound to be a few decent people in there. Particularly if we're not just looking at the highest levels of federal government.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66588 on: October 17, 2013, 07:23:44 pm »

We need to start forcing politicians to pass empathy/intellect/batshit/corruption checks before they're allowed on the ballot. I know, that would oust 95%+ of politicians, but that's exactly what the system needs.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66589 on: October 17, 2013, 07:32:56 pm »

Yeah, but who checks the checkers?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66590 on: October 17, 2013, 07:34:17 pm »

I can't for the life of me understand why people have trouble with that. The other checkers check the checkers!

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66591 on: October 17, 2013, 07:36:43 pm »

Checkmate?
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #66592 on: October 17, 2013, 07:47:04 pm »

I can't for the life of me understand why people have trouble with that. The other checkers check the checkers!
This. With a sufficiently advanced bureaucracy, the likelihood of something slipping through the system is low. It might make things take much longer, but it will make sure that everyone has to agree on things and fuck I realized I'm just describing how Congress is designed now.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66593 on: October 17, 2013, 07:51:08 pm »

It's because when people imagine a checking system like that, they imagine one dude in an office vetting people, with no one to answer to.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66594 on: October 17, 2013, 08:08:05 pm »

I think the flip side that people tend to forget is that this sort of hate-filled vitriol is actually a sign of progress. Nobody tries to hold back progress that doesn't exist- that sort of hatemongering only takes place when it's a reaction to something. If "everyone knew" that transsexuals were Bad, or "everyone knew" they didn't exist, he'd feel no need to make such statements.
I'm not so sure that makes sense. Our reaction, and the fact that our reaction is a common reaction to his statements, is a sign of progress. Hate is never a sign of progress. Even when pretty much everyone "knew" slavery based on race or status --or, hell, any slavery-- was justifiable, slaveowners didn't really hesitate to lord that over their "property". Even back in "ye olde dayes", when everyone knew being homosexual was a crime, homosexuals were still prosecuted.

Really, what you're saying sounds really nice --and I'm glad you're trying to be positive-- but it's those kinds of thoughts that create complacency in the face of serious issues. It's what led to the Supreme Court's decision with the Voting Rights Act, too.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66595 on: October 17, 2013, 08:11:09 pm »

I think the flip side that people tend to forget is that this sort of hate-filled vitriol is actually a sign of progress. Nobody tries to hold back progress that doesn't exist- that sort of hatemongering only takes place when it's a reaction to something. If "everyone knew" that transsexuals were Bad, or "everyone knew" they didn't exist, he'd feel no need to make such statements.
To give an idea of that, imagine the general population felt about homosexuality and transexuality as we do right now about zoophilia*. Literally -everybody- except the actual practitioners think it's disgusting and immoral, it is illegal and punishable by jail and fines, and there is no visible minority doing it.

Now imagine he were to say those comments about transexuality in that climate. No one would bat an eye. In fact, they'd be like "Uh... Yeah. No shit. Why did you feel the need to say that?"

The fact that people actually are reporting it as "Holy shit this guy was elected" is great.

*Obviously the fact that animals can't consent and another dude/yourself CAN consent to being courted/changing physical sex, means it's an imperfect analogy. But it was the best I could think of at the time.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #66596 on: October 17, 2013, 09:14:07 pm »

Went to an interview today. It was pretty promising, got my hopes up real high. The interviewers seemed really responsive, and I felt like I nailed it. One lady even showed me around the offices, and showed me where a relative works.

Relative comes home, says that they told her they didn't think I had enough experience. Not sure why I bother.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66597 on: October 17, 2013, 09:15:14 pm »

Went to an interview today. It was pretty promising, got my hopes up real high. The interviewers seemed really responsive, and I felt like I nailed it. One lady even showed me around the offices, and showed me where a relative works.

Relative comes home, says that they told her they didn't think I had enough experience. Not sure why I bother.
The fuck. That's a "never speak to you again"-level offense in my book.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66598 on: October 17, 2013, 09:57:09 pm »

The fuck. That's a "never speak to you again"-level offense in my book.

I think you might be reading that the wrong way around. Company told relative they don't think KoF has enough experience, not vice versa.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #66599 on: October 17, 2013, 10:12:25 pm »

Yeah, that's what happened.

The big problem was that I pinned a lot, emotionally, on that job. After the interview I was pretty happy for the first time in months.

I kinda wish my relative hadn't told me. It was nice being happy for a minute.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 4438 4439 [4440] 4441 4442 ... 8167