Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4420 4421 [4422] 4423 4424 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428267 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66315 on: October 06, 2013, 08:20:36 am »

And they call it Cortana.
*shakes fist*
MICROSOFT
Will it be in a state of possibly loving someone who's face you never see, I wonder?
BUT
BUT THEY'RE MICROSOFT
THEY HAVE TO NAME IT CLIPPY
OR AM
OR HAL
OR SOMETHING

If they go the cleverbot route expect half of its database to be sex :P

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66316 on: October 06, 2013, 12:36:56 pm »

Once again, a period of productive writing is at an end. Now I'm stuck feeling listless and bored. Why do I always have peaks of creativity that are subjugated by months of boredom? I have so much still to do but I can't complete it. It's not even procrastination, as I can sit down and try to write but nothing comes. It can't be writer's block because I don't think it comes in waves. How the hell do people manage to finish books like this? I'm never going to do anything at all in my life.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66317 on: October 06, 2013, 12:46:02 pm »

Take a page from crappy English courses, and work out an outline. Also, short stories. Then build it up from there.

Problem I've always had with writing is the details. :P I get an idea for a premise or for a scene, but the other details bugger me over.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66318 on: October 06, 2013, 02:04:13 pm »

I've got a similar problem with painting. I can get the general gist and atmosphere mostly right, but adding all the little details always feels like busywork that doesn't add enough to warrant it, so I rarely do it, and because of that I suck at doing it :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66319 on: October 06, 2013, 02:19:05 pm »

Hah, I have exactly the opposite problem. I love doing details as an exercise in relaxation, but I'm terrible at composition and actually drawing things. Probably a consequence of getting my start in artwork with sprite editing (emphasis on "editing").
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66320 on: October 06, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »

I'm about to enlist in a project I've been desperately wanting to start since before I went through puberty, and I'm scared shitless.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66321 on: October 06, 2013, 03:30:55 pm »

I had a dream about interviewing for a job at a fast food place in the evening, surrounded by a bunch of bitter husks of people. The hiring manager, who looked like she could have been a high school student, spent her time passive-aggressively belittling and nitpicking at my resume and education, but of course I had to stay cordial... I was desperate for work.

When it was over, I walked out into the parking lot to drive home, and found a bunch of other employees standing in a loose crowd, looking out onto the street. It was night by then, but the moon was bright, and illuminated 5 adult deer and 2 fawns wandering down the middle of the road, seemingly bewildered. In a flash, they were struck first by one car, then another. Some were dazed, others bloodied with limbs at odd angles, and one twitching weakly on the ground. Everyone started hooting and laughing about it. I couldn't look away. Then, a line of vehicles struck them, some of the deer bouncing and reeling away from one impact, only to be struck in the back by a truck going the opposite direction, and bursting. Before long, they were all dead and mangled, with innards and grisly bits everywhere.

Then the senior manager, an older woman with a drawn and sallow face, came out to meet me. She said I got the job. I felt relieved.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 03:32:42 pm by Solifuge »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66322 on: October 06, 2013, 03:57:50 pm »

I'm about to enlist in a project I've been desperately wanting to start since before I went through puberty, and I'm scared shitless.
The fortune cookie I just got said that this is a time for caution, but not fear.

The other one said that my true love will show up on my doorstep. I think if they're going to show up they should hurry up, I'm a busy person with things to do.

<snip>
I had a dream I was being followed and harassed by a giant tomato that bounced around like a giant beach ball, it was truly horrifying. Thankfully both of these things were just dreams.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 04:00:43 pm by Pnx »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66323 on: October 06, 2013, 04:22:13 pm »

When it was over, I walked out into the parking lot to drive home, and found a bunch of other employees standing in a loose crowd, looking out onto the street. It was night by then, but the moon was bright, and illuminated 5 adult deer and 2 fawns wandering down the middle of the road, seemingly bewildered. In a flash, they were struck first by one car, then another. Some were dazed, others bloodied with limbs at odd angles, and one twitching weakly on the ground. Everyone started hooting and laughing about it. I couldn't look away. Then, a line of vehicles struck them, some of the deer bouncing and reeling away from one impact, only to be struck in the back by a truck going the opposite direction, and bursting. Before long, they were all dead and mangled, with innards and grisly bits everywhere.

Ugh, this reminds me of a dream I had once... I was 13, I think.  I was a man driving a car down a dirt road, summer, plain sunlight, dusty, so bright that things seemed obscured because of it.  Hit a little girl playing in the middle.  She's wearing a pinked-up sundress and humming some sort of tune--was, anyway.  Pick up her body, go to a pond at a nearby farmhouse, trying to wash up, I don't know why.  Sun sets.  Water's red.  Still washing.  Wearing all my clothes, waist-deep in this pond, surrounded by reeds.  A man comes out and picks up her broken corpse, asks me what I'm doing there.  He's calm as anything.  Dressed in dark green, long blond hair, glasses, pale, head to foot one long rotten red splattery smear.  Just kind of stares.  No trouble.  I tell some flavor of lie and he lets me leave.

The rest of the dream is a disjointed, jostling fragmentation of watching this man--the single father of another twelve children--slowly, quietly going mad, his house going into ruin, taken over by spiders and dust, children dying of neglect, any nobility he might have had overtaken by putrefaction and age, until finally he stops going outdoors, won't leave his chair, perishes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66324 on: October 06, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »

They honestly both sound like things I'd expect from a foreign avant garde movie.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66325 on: October 06, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »

Fantastic Four 2. I suffered from a bout of 'I couldn't give less of a shit about any of these characters'itis. I wanted Galactus to win.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #66326 on: October 06, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »

Fantastic Four 2. I suffered from a bout of 'I couldn't give less of a shit about any of these characters'itis. I wanted Galactus to win.

I wanted to see Galactus as a giant person in silly looking armor.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66327 on: October 06, 2013, 08:01:37 pm »

I wanted to see Galactus as a giant person in silly looking armor.
They showed flashes of him that way, but yeah it would've been better to see him as that and not a space thunderstorm.
Once again, a period of productive writing is at an end. Now I'm stuck feeling listless and bored. Why do I always have peaks of creativity that are subjugated by months of boredom? I have so much still to do but I can't complete it. It's not even procrastination, as I can sit down and try to write but nothing comes. It can't be writer's block because I don't think it comes in waves. How the hell do people manage to finish books like this? I'm never going to do anything at all in my life.
Writers block actually does go like this. It's just the way the brain works, I suppose? Just go do something else if you can't do anything. What's important is that you try.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66328 on: October 06, 2013, 10:46:09 pm »

Throat. Throat. It's been a while since you've done this. I guess it's due, or whatever.

But. Please? Please stop trying to tear yourself into little pieces, and let me breath. Pass this message on to the lungs, as well. Could do without this.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66329 on: October 06, 2013, 10:59:33 pm »

I know. . . I've been really worried about her, too.  I hope she's okay.

Pages: 1 ... 4420 4421 [4422] 4423 4424 ... 8167