Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4419 4420 [4421] 4422 4423 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9427773 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66300 on: October 05, 2013, 09:08:45 am »

Hey, Windows 8 made Steam support Linux. It's not all bad.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66301 on: October 05, 2013, 09:09:48 am »

there's money in programming apps for all these little bullshit devices though

so if you can brave the pain, even free ones can get you some dosh via the power of advertising

how do you even begin when it comes to that shit.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66302 on: October 05, 2013, 09:20:51 am »

I feel really morose... and kind of lonely, and frustrated...

I keep thinking about how much I want to just fly far, far, away from this household that's been killing me so much for so long, I've even considered a few destinations, but honestly the prospect terrifies me way too much. *sigh* I don't know what to do with myself.

EDIT: And I'm realising I've been seriously contemplating suicide again... Ugh, I'm so angry at myself for being like this, but I don't know how to stop it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:38:36 am by Pnx »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66303 on: October 05, 2013, 02:33:56 pm »

Does anyone else ever get it to where they're so sad that their mental processes start to slow down?

Like it's even worse when you can physically feel yourself slipping further and further down, the pit in your chest getting deeper and deeper, and alongside it the thoughts in your head are getting rounder, smoother, simpler... I just feel the human mind is designed to destroy itself sometimes.
Yup. That's what loneliness does to me. It sucks all the ass, man.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #66304 on: October 05, 2013, 02:46:17 pm »

I have never been more upset at a piece of programming in my lfe.

My Mom decides to take her computer troubles into her own hands, and despite the fact that she knows nothing at all about computers, went and bought a small acer laptop with Windows 8 installed on it.

I've quickly come to discover that Windows 8 is the most streamlined, handholding piece of trash I have ever personally laid eyes upon. This OS feels like an abusive captor that is holding the computer hostage, but it speaks a different goddamn langauge from me so I can't even negotiate with it, I have to use sweeping and obvious hand gestures to get the simplest ideas across, and even then there's egregious misunderstandings.

Why's it so different from Window 7? Like, I've worked with computers my whole life, but I can't wrap my head around this nonsense. I'm so utterly frustrated with this piece of trash software, and with my Mom for not consulting with me first.
People say Windows 8 actually makes sense on tablet PCs and touchscreen laptops, like Window's Surface Pro.

I don't know. Whenever I dink around with tablets, I just get red in the face I'm so angry and frustrated. My sister got an android tablet, and the UI of this thing was designed from the ground up to give me instant headaches. If, god forbid, I want to do something simple with one of these things, my more than a decade of tech experience is completely useless!

It irritates me so thoroughly that anyone in their right mind could think that the ideal method of streamlining is to completely preempt the users desires, and to design the interface like a Fisher Price toy to cater to these utterly shallow assumptions!

I just want to be able to use the tools I've grown up learning to use to do what I want when I have a perfectly good computer in my hands, rather than have them slapped out of my hands by some designer cause he thinks he knows whats best for the customer!

I'm just disgusted by all this, I swear.

Imagine how older generations feel, who didn't grow up around computers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66305 on: October 05, 2013, 03:04:20 pm »

This is why we need friendly, advanced AI. Not to advance science, not to prove/disprove that consciousness is reducible. But so that we can stick it in a computer and have it construct the architecture we need, just by asking it "Hey, I need a computer that can do this, this, and that, in that order of importance."

And/or have it on the computers that designers use and when they do something stupid, have it tell them.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #66306 on: October 05, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »

Apparently I dozed off in the middle of doing a thing with one of my friends online last night.

I feel just.... Awful. Going off unexpectedly like that. On top of that I'm just sick of my sleep schedule turning self destructive like this. I'm going to bed too damn early in the night, and still waking up too early to even be rested.

I need to fix this, since I don't have time in the day to do some things I need to study and otherwise work on during the actual afternoon and night hours. So if this keeps up I'm gonna be even less productive than usual and that's really fucking saying something.

You know, I had missed the "online" in the first phrase, which made the whole thing sound like something else altogether...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #66307 on: October 05, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »

Apparently I dozed off in the middle of doing a thing with one of my friends online last night.

I feel just.... Awful. Going off unexpectedly like that. On top of that I'm just sick of my sleep schedule turning self destructive like this. I'm going to bed too damn early in the night, and still waking up too early to even be rested.

I need to fix this, since I don't have time in the day to do some things I need to study and otherwise work on during the actual afternoon and night hours. So if this keeps up I'm gonna be even less productive than usual and that's really fucking saying something.

I can relate so much >_>

Collapsing due to fatigue. So personally shameful (well for me.) :S

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #66308 on: October 05, 2013, 10:56:01 pm »

This is why we need friendly, advanced AI. Not to advance science, not to prove/disprove that consciousness is reducible. But so that we can stick it in a computer and have it construct the architecture we need, just by asking it "Hey, I need a computer that can do this, this, and that, in that order of importance."

And/or have it on the computers that designers use and when they do something stupid, have it tell them.
Funny you should mention that. Because they're already working on it. http://www.zdnet.com/cortana-more-on-microsofts-next-generation-personal-assistant-7000020602/
Cortana, Microsoft's assistant technology, likewise will be able to learn and adapt, relying on machine-learning technology and the "Satori" knowledge repository powering Bing.

Cortana will be more than just an app that lets users interact with their phones more naturally using voice commands. Cortana is core to the makeover of the entire "shell" -- the core services and experience -- of the future versions of Windows Phone, Windows and the Xbox One operating systems, from what I've heard from my contacts.

"Our UI will be deeply personalized, based on the advanced, almost magical, intelligence in our cloud that learns more and more over time about people and the world. Our shell will natively support all of our essential services, and will be great at responding seamlessly to what people ask for, and even anticipating what they need before they ask for it."

The coming shell won't simply surface information stored on users' phones, PCs and consoles like a search engine can do today. It also will "broker information among our services to bring them together on our devices in ways that will enable richer and deeper app experiences," Ballmer said in his memo. (That "brokering" is handled by Bing's Satori, which intelligently interconnects entities, i.e., information about people, places and things.)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66309 on: October 05, 2013, 10:57:06 pm »

And they call it Cortana.
*shakes fist*
MICROSOFT
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66310 on: October 05, 2013, 11:00:37 pm »

And they call it Cortana.
*shakes fist*
MICROSOFT
Will it be in a state of possibly loving someone who's face you never see, I wonder?
BUT
BUT THEY'RE MICROSOFT
THEY HAVE TO NAME IT CLIPPY
OR AM
OR HAL
OR SOMETHING
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66311 on: October 05, 2013, 11:33:44 pm »

they could just go with bob mark II

but then does anyone even remember the original bob.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66312 on: October 06, 2013, 05:56:43 am »

Does anyone else have trouble playing videogames or enjoying movies, even very good ones, because their mind wanders to the troubles in life, disemboweling any enjoyment they could be having?

Like, I've been playing the remastered LoZ: Ocarina of Time for 3DS. This remake is absolutely amazing, really bringing me back and I get to enjoy all the wonderful design and music all over again. But over the course of playing, it's just natural that the game can't preoccupy my entire mind, so I still have rogue thoughts running in the background, obsessing and dwelling over my loneliness and other sad issues. It just gets to where I have to put the game down cause I can't even focus on whatever part of the quest I'm on, and do something that's not leaving these parts of my brain idle and spinning with nowhere to go.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #66313 on: October 06, 2013, 06:50:28 am »

Feeling lost, stresse, and generally down. x:

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #66314 on: October 06, 2013, 07:50:28 am »

Feeling lost, stresse, and generally down. x:
Feeling this for the past 3 weeks with exponential shifts.

Woo~
Pages: 1 ... 4419 4420 [4421] 4422 4423 ... 8167