Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4417 4418 [4419] 4420 4421 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430110 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66270 on: October 04, 2013, 01:10:36 pm »

Want to know something? Mothers have the special 'Nag' ability. Unfortunately some simply take it as 'Where did I go wrong with you' rather than look at the problem being in them.

Mind you, the Rational Adult faults himself first, and others later. However, shifting the blame is something everyone does. Solution to the problem is generally looking at it from the outside. My mother's a genius in tearing apart my self-esteem, but I'm a tough bastard born to conquer the world, so I build it back up the moment she tears it down.

The trick is letting the thing rest for a day or two. Your brain will automatically come up with enough excuses to bring your mood back up to full power, or outright push the nasty thought at the back of your mind.
Humans aren't made to be depressed, and they aren't made to be cheerful. They're made to be durable.
Grit your teeth and march on, you'll soon feel better.

Another thing is simply screaming your anger out in the middle of nowhere.
That works miracles too.

Update, and slight offtopic (it should belong to WTF thread now): I'm really starting to suspect she has BPD or something. It's been three hours between the initial conversation and another call, and she went from being stand-offish and degrading to entirely sanguine. Not the first time I've observed that, either. It feel kinda like a malfunctioning Skinner box that occasionally starts sending shocks despite the conditions not changing.

The thing is, in that situation, as in others before, I've already blamed myself, quite rightly, for a minor problem (I wrongly memorized the time a class starts, and by the time I found out, I've already been late half an hour, so I need to find the professor and ask when I can catch up) that transpired. And as I was right in the middle of fixing the situation, I got the call during which I got treated as though I didn't realize I dun goofed and got torn apart.

I'm pretty tough, or should I say, calloused, myself, but the issue was not with a ruined self-esteem but with the absolutely unsympathetic way the beatdown was delivered.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #66271 on: October 04, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »

wait.
Late half an hour for a class which I suppose was the first one? I don't know how much of a 'mistake' that can be. I mean sure, it's pretty strange but...it's more of a 'lolwut' rather than an outright 'Rip your skin and flail you alive' thing.

That's really ground for a nice 'Chill' answer. I mean, if it were something like 'I didn't go to college for five classes because I got lost on the road to life' I'd understand but that?
Sheesh. In Italy we have guys who come the next hour or skip classes. They never lost their sweat and caught up fairly quickly. (Unless that half an hour is of something ultra-important like some high-level technologic babble I'll have no hope of ever learning that is)
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66272 on: October 04, 2013, 01:52:31 pm »

wait.
Late half an hour for a class which I suppose was the first one? I don't know how much of a 'mistake' that can be. I mean sure, it's pretty strange but...it's more of a 'lolwut' rather than an outright 'Rip your skin and flail you alive' thing.

That's really ground for a nice 'Chill' answer. I mean, if it were something like 'I didn't go to college for five classes because I got lost on the road to life' I'd understand but that?
Sheesh. In Italy we have guys who come the next hour or skip classes. They never lost their sweat and caught up fairly quickly. (Unless that half an hour is of something ultra-important like some high-level technologic babble I'll have no hope of ever learning that is)

Like I said, it's very, very minor thing, which makes the reaction pretty weird, but I kinda got used to that. Though I was not late, I just didn't show up (and couldn't, since getting to the place took me an hour) - I REALIZED I should show up there when it was half an hour after it already begun, and it was on a different faculty that happened to be in the middle of the city during rush hour.

And there is some terminological problems: I've got lectures, which I can freely skip, since they are pretty much optional, laboratory exercises and proseminars, which I cannot miss even if I'm currently dying of SARS/AIDS hybrid (or more technically, if I miss them I have to contact the professor and catch up by joining up with another group for a class on the same subject, which is what I've been trying to do).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #66273 on: October 04, 2013, 01:56:29 pm »

Ah, now I understand. Still, it's university life. Mistakes are human and heck, I once ended up on the other side of Tourin trying to reach a faculty of the Engineering School that was detached from the campus. It took me calling the police -who were actually pretty decent folks- to guide me out of there because I was frigging lost in the countryside.
(Which, by the way, totally is a warning against taking random buses in the hope of 'going back where you came from')
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66274 on: October 04, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »

And that, dear friends, is -why- I have a smart phone.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66275 on: October 04, 2013, 02:27:43 pm »

I realized I've never been invited to hang out with anyone, so I have literally no idea what it is people do outside of school. I really, really hate my younger-self for avoiding people when I was younger. I'm not sure I can stress that enough in mere words.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66276 on: October 04, 2013, 02:50:51 pm »

I realized I've never been invited to hang out with anyone, so I have literally no idea what it is people do outside of school. I really, really hate my younger-self for avoiding people when I was younger. I'm not sure I can stress that enough in mere words.

Hah, I feel you. I've narrowly avoided that fate myself, and this was mostly luck and getting to know the right person. The fact that I had pretty uncommon interests (relatively speaking), in a school with small class size (averaging 10 people), most of which I hated.

But, when it comes to social interaction, think of it like exercise: if you didn't do it for a long time, it will be tiresome and leave you aching for a bit until you get used to doing that and will be able to pull it off without even noticing.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #66277 on: October 04, 2013, 03:36:30 pm »

This. I recently joined a club, but up until now I simply stayed at home. Part of that is my general reluctance to do things of course.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66278 on: October 04, 2013, 04:14:02 pm »

Been feeling an incredible lack of motivation for the past couple of days. Can barely get out of the house, and even then it's because I can't be arsed to think up an excuse for whoever asked me out.

And I really want to find some, I just have no idea what would it take :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #66279 on: October 04, 2013, 04:18:38 pm »

Been feeling an incredible lack of motivation for the past couple of days. Can barely get out of the house, and even then it's because I can't be arsed to think up an excuse for whoever asked me out.

I wonder how well a product that was 'Motivation in a can/bottle/pill' would work, via the Placebo effect?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66280 on: October 04, 2013, 04:27:45 pm »

I wonder how well a product that was 'Motivation in a can/bottle/pill' would work, via the Placebo effect?
Why not via dopamine receptors? Oh wait, that's meth :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66281 on: October 04, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »

Right, been meaning to get cooking with kaenneth, never though I'd be using it myself honestly.
AS - IG

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66282 on: October 04, 2013, 05:11:54 pm »

Same. Do they ... do homework? Go start fights? Complain on forums about not knowing what to do?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #66283 on: October 04, 2013, 05:26:40 pm »

Why not via dopamine receptors? Oh wait, that's meth :P

The main problem is that once you mess with the brain biochemistry with chems, once the chems wear off there's a pendulum effect and you go off-balance in the opposite direction. That's why long-time alcoholics get jittery when withdrawal effect kicks in, for example: the parts alcohol depresses get over-excited. So, any motivation-enchancing drug would usually cause a motivation-decreasing withdrawal.

There's also the problem that people would start associating the dopamine rush with the pill instead of the activity.

Keep in mind, my self-motivation is very WIP right now, but I've worked out the solution to tell myself that I can either do that thing I should do, or I will sit in front of the computer, wasting my life away. Although I lately discovered a security workaround in that method, namely something both pleasant and developing my skills, which I need to patch out.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66284 on: October 04, 2013, 05:33:28 pm »

I should probably try the Blerch method, hopefully I stick to it long enough to make a difference.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 4417 4418 [4419] 4420 4421 ... 8167