Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4378 4379 [4380] 4381 4382 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419983 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65685 on: September 16, 2013, 02:34:14 pm »

Demigod might be what you're looking for, something like it. Demigod usually means an avatar of a god, though. So even that's not perfect.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65686 on: September 16, 2013, 02:34:58 pm »

Demigod might be what you're looking for, something like it. Demigod usually means an avatar of a god, though. So even that's not perfect.

Well then how about this... It is a divine force.

It is a force of nature that seems semi-sentient and exerts a divine presence and is worshipped like a god and seems to react accordingly.

It is a setting where nature, magic, and divinity are all the same source so to speak.

And yet that can mean there is diversity even in religion. After all whether or not transforming a planet through Feng Sui (or however you spell it) actually becomes a real issue, and even if you don't want to build a dam because clogging a river has an effect on your divine protector... the monsters created from building a settlement make it hard to survive without a wheat mill.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:39:40 pm by Neonivek »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #65687 on: September 16, 2013, 05:02:44 pm »

Eh. They have pretty good points, actually. Dracula is a natural target for anyone who's into ANY kind of vampire media due to being the "original", and it is an exceptionally dry, slow, and confusing book. When I tried to read it, I was completely unable to follow the story (note that I'm a fan of Wheel of Time and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, which aren't exactly easy reads), or even make sense of the descriptions. Of course, I was reading an annotated version, where the annotations were so extensive that they were ten pages behind the text.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #65688 on: September 16, 2013, 05:18:44 pm »

I can't wait for the inevitable complaints to pop up that 120 Days of Sodom was disturbing and fucked-up rather than a ~~fabulous~~ romance about a dreamy nobleman and his taste in milquetoast bondage like Fifty Shades of Grey.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #65689 on: September 16, 2013, 05:19:08 pm »

As much as I hate Twilight, as a modern pleasure novel, it IS. The writing is impenetrable, the pace is extremely slow, and the presentation is extremely odd. The story itself isn't bad (based on the Cliff's Notes), but it is almost impossible to FIND the damn story.  It certainly has greater literary merit, and is justly famed as the progenitor of modern vampire fiction, but it isn't a fun read.

A sample of one of the easier portions of the text:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I had to read that ten times before I really understood it, and the exceedingly non-standard  conversational style is extremely jarring. The complaints are not without merit.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65690 on: September 16, 2013, 05:32:59 pm »

There were actually a good number of vampire works before Dracula, but they were mostly Victorian pulp fiction works that basically used the whole vampire thing as a way of getting around sexual mores or as a cheap thrill thing. In general, none of these were really anything like sophisticated fiction though.
So in that respect I think Twilight might in some ways be more true to the origins of vampire fiction.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #65691 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »

The problem I have with comparing Twilight to Dracula is that there's just a bit of a gap between when Dracula was written and Twilight was written.

It's like comparing Bach to dubstep and the main complaint is that "Bach just doesn't use enough wubs. Skrillex is so much better."
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #65692 on: September 16, 2013, 06:04:33 pm »

What was the criticism for it? It sounds interesting, perhaps you just presented it poorly or it needs more development or whatever you want to use it for won't work out well

"If the planets are gods why don't they just summon up a destructive force to kill all the pesky humans?"

Which frankly my answer is that they cannot. They aren't omnipotent.

I don't know what the context for what you're saying is. But what you said there is hilarious if you're familiar with the Nasuverse.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65693 on: September 16, 2013, 06:14:43 pm »

There were actually a good number of vampire works before Dracula, but they were mostly Victorian pulp fiction works that basically used the whole vampire thing as a way of getting around sexual mores or as a cheap thrill thing.

Er... even "Dracula" does this. Lucy's whole vampirization thing is basically a big old sexy metaphore for her *ehem* Loss of Innocence. It even drives her Fiancé to seek revenge against the man who *ehemhemhemcoughcough* Lead her Astray. The big thing about the novel is that, though the mythology of Vampires existed in folklore prior, and even in pulpy horror serials, it wasn't mainstream knowledge... and Stoker sort of codified a lot of the folklore that went on to become standard tropes within Vampire Fiction.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #65694 on: September 16, 2013, 06:22:22 pm »

That's all well and good, but the thing I really wanna know is: Dracula, better or worse love story than Twilight?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65695 on: September 16, 2013, 06:25:03 pm »

:I

But to answer your question, yes it's better.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65696 on: September 16, 2013, 06:34:54 pm »

That's all well and good, but the thing I really wanna know is: Dracula, better or worse love story than Twilight?
Do you really need to ask?

Also, Cata DDA thread is locked for no apparent reason.  :(

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65697 on: September 16, 2013, 06:41:17 pm »

Toady's cleaning up.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65698 on: September 16, 2013, 06:43:12 pm »

A F.A.T.A.L. campaign is a better love story than twilight.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65699 on: September 16, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »

A F.A.T.A.L. campaign is a better love story than twilight.
More realistic, too. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 4378 4379 [4380] 4381 4382 ... 8167