Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4357 4358 [4359] 4360 4361 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419794 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65370 on: September 04, 2013, 09:44:58 pm »

In his last few years of life he hit it big on the lecture circuit. Not long before that, he had to declare bankruptcy to avoid his creditors.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65371 on: September 04, 2013, 09:50:41 pm »

Yeah, almost all great people are and/or were huge egomaniacs and attention whores. It' s what drives them to be as creative and prolific as they are. The quiet, reserved, normal kind of people rarely get any attention, even if they are geniuses, all they get is posthumous fame.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65372 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »

Yes, 1983 was the bankruptcy year after having sunk $7,894,736.84 in a printing project (conversion from 1893 dollars).

I really don't feel all that sorry for the guy.

Yeah, almost all great people are and/or were huge egomaniacs and attention whores. It' s what drives them to be as creative and prolific as they are. The quiet, reserved, normal kind of people rarely get any attention, even if they are geniuses, all they get is posthumous fame.

I see, so you must be recognized in your lifetime to be great, like Van Gogh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65373 on: September 04, 2013, 10:06:12 pm »

There are an awful lot of creative people who - like Van Gogh - never experienced fame in their lives. But that doesn't mean they weren't egomaniacs  ;). If you are as depressed and mentally ill as Van Gogh, you probably better are fixated on yourself a lot. Just because people didn't get any attention in their lifetime, doesn't mean they weren't craving for it. Especially when until very recently it was very difficult to be publicly noticed as an artist at all.
I tend to think that the outstanding creative people often, not always maybe but many of them, have a certain need to be recognised as great that "normal" people do not have. Doesn't always work out, and it's not the case with all great people, but with many of them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65374 on: September 04, 2013, 10:08:46 pm »

Yes, I'm that way (not that it means anything will come of me, haha).

It also doesn't require being a total shithead to people less skilled than you are.  In any case, you've stated that you don't have to be an egomaniac to be great, so I'm content.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65375 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:36 pm »

Oh, I'm that way too a bit and I'm probably not all that great (from what I reckon from the reviews). I think it comes with creativity, because we're social animals after all, we want to have our originality recognised by someone. I don't do much creative work these days, but if someone brings up something I did a few years ago, it's very satisfying in a way.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65376 on: September 04, 2013, 10:51:30 pm »

There are an awful lot of creative people who - like Van Gogh - never experienced fame in their lives. But that doesn't mean they weren't egomaniacs  ;). If you are as depressed and mentally ill as Van Gogh, you probably better are fixated on yourself a lot. Just because people didn't get any attention in their lifetime, doesn't mean they weren't craving for it. Especially when until very recently it was very difficult to be publicly noticed as an artist at all.
I tend to think that the outstanding creative people often, not always maybe but many of them, have a certain need to be recognised as great that "normal" people do not have. Doesn't always work out, and it's not the case with all great people, but with many of them.
I had a roommate that was like that. He was a half-deaf painter with Bipolar who thought of himself as a visionary when all he was doing was quoting the Bible and borrowing the same style that made Ren and Stimpy popular. Wouldn't shut up about his paintings and thought I was a dictator because I didn't like it when he smoked on the patio. Depressing thinking about him really.

Oh, I'm that way too a bit and I'm probably not all that great (from what I reckon from the reviews). I think it comes with creativity, because we're social animals after all, we want to have our originality recognised by someone. I don't do much creative work these days, but if someone brings up something I did a few years ago, it's very satisfying in a way.

I'm the opposite sometimes. I want people to forget about what I was doing a few years ago or even ten or twenty years ago. I myself want to forget so I don't feel so bothered by my own actions. At the same time though I don't want people to forget about me. I want people to contact me and keep in touch with me, but that just never happens like how I want it to. Nine-tenths of the people I've ever known lost contact with me somehow, either because of their lack of interest or my own not making enough effort to keep in touch. I don't want that to happen anymore.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:54:47 pm by MadMalkavian »
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65377 on: September 04, 2013, 11:18:45 pm »

I'm the opposite sometimes. I want people to forget about what I was doing a few years ago or even ten or twenty years ago. I myself want to forget so I don't feel so bothered by my own actions. At the same time though I don't want people to forget about me. I want people to contact me and keep in touch with me, but that just never happens like how I want it to. Nine-tenths of the people I've ever known lost contact with me somehow, either because of their lack of interest or my own not making enough effort to keep in touch. I don't want that to happen anymore.
I'm like that internally also, it's just that it's cool to meet people who enjoy something I've done, even if I for myself think it's shit. Sometimes it rubs me the wrong way, but generally it's a cool thing to hear that somebody liked something you did.

Since this is the sad thread, here are a few sad things:
I may be pretty much close to the end of a 10+ year relationship. Romantic love is a f**king lie. Or not. At least it hurts a lot.
The record label that put out most of my stuff many years ago asked me for a track for their anniversary compilation. I haven't made a song in many years and have no idea how do get that done.
I have 9 empty half-litre cans of beer standing on the table, only 3 left to go. It's a Wednesday, or actually a Thursday morning. That's not good, I guess. (alternatively because I shouldn't be drinking under the week or because I should have a lot more beer around when I need it.)

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65378 on: September 04, 2013, 11:24:40 pm »

I'm like that internally also, it's just that it's cool to meet people who enjoy something I've done, even if I for myself think it's shit. Sometimes it rubs me the wrong way, but generally it's a cool thing to hear that somebody liked something you did.

Since this is the sad thread, here are a few sad things:
I may be pretty much close to the end of a 10+ year relationship. Romantic love is a f**king lie. Or not. At least it hurts a lot.
The record label that put out most of my stuff many years ago asked me for a track for their anniversary compilation. I haven't made a song in many years and have no idea how do get that done.
I have 9 empty half-litre cans of beer standing on the table, only 3 left to go. It's a Wednesday, or actually a Thursday morning. That's not good, I guess. (alternatively because I shouldn't be drinking under the week or because I should have a lot more beer around when I need it.)

I'm sorry to hear about that Sock. I hope it all works out for you. That may sound generic but it's the best I can come up with.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65379 on: September 04, 2013, 11:32:49 pm »

I'm sorry to hear about that Sock. I hope it all works out for you. That may sound generic but it's the best I can come up with.
Don't worry, I kinda like living on the edge. Otherwise I wouldn't be a sad old f**k posting in a games forum. Usually it all works out for me.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65380 on: September 04, 2013, 11:41:18 pm »

Don't worry, I kinda like living on the edge. Otherwise I wouldn't be a sad old f**k posting in a games forum. Usually it all works out for me.
Well as long as it works out then.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65381 on: September 05, 2013, 01:03:46 am »

I'm considering going into robotics.  I think unfeeling intellects would be a steep improvement on the human race as it currently stands.

As much as I understand that from a moralistic perspective I'm wrong, I don't see any way out of this predicament that will permit me to survive with my heart intact.  There we go.  I'm saying it.  My story's not going to have a happy ending.  There isn't one.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65382 on: September 05, 2013, 01:25:23 am »

Happy endings are overrated. They're really a tiny part of the story, and aren't usually the part that makes it worth reading or that makes it a perspective-defining part of your own life.

And if we get the robotics thing up and running around the same time as the brain-uploading thing, we might get to dodge the "ending" part and even further down the line get around to the part where we can directly make ourselves better without having to kludge through all this meta-level stuff like trying to feel satisfied.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #65383 on: September 05, 2013, 05:55:00 am »

Happy ending? Nothing ends, Vector. Nothing ever ends.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65384 on: September 05, 2013, 06:00:06 am »

the idea of reincarnation is more or less mr bones wild ride

the ride never ends (unless you know how to game the system)

i have no idea what i wanted to write here regarding robotics but by all means, pm me when you get brain uploading and need sponsors
Pages: 1 ... 4357 4358 [4359] 4360 4361 ... 8167