Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4356 4357 [4358] 4359 4360 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9419485 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65355 on: September 04, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »

No it doesn't monkeyhead, you people just wanted to make aluminum sound absurd by adding extra letters. Colour sounds basically the same so its not really any better/worse.

But aside from that, thinking about things related to actually making money soonish today has been a terrible idea. I could make some chainmail stuff, I could mess around with rpg maker, I could go apply for more things nearby. But the first two I don't think anyone would want to buy (the first because these clasps aren't very good if I need one and I only have one size of rings, the second because it would be my first game and probably wouldn't be as great as it seems like to me) and I've already been doing the latter for awhile and getting nowhere at all. >:(
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65356 on: September 04, 2013, 04:25:28 pm »

... and Twain was not jesting. Though he did make one very pertinent point about censorship which is overquoted.

Yup.  Huckleberry Finn was very important and I'm glad he wrote it.  Tom Sawyer was really funny.  His biography of Joan of Arc was to my understanding the only sincere thing he ever wrote, and though I can't say it was especially well-written or talented (funny how he didn't have much style when he couldn't hide behind wit), it was the best secondary source we had for something like 100 years.  I feel like much of his other work was (though he did not necessarily intend this) a bitter backlash against intellectualism and sentiment, transports of feeling, all that.  And you know, we've got populist writing now and genre fiction.  And that's great.  I may not like it much, but I recognize that it satisfies a need.  But that doesn't mean that the great, sweeping, layered books of the past are bad, that symbolism is inherently bad, that his hated "weather scenes" are bad for their lack of realism.

Previously I objected only to the "Twainism vs. Austenism" literary debates, where people rely on each's reputation and witticisms to attack the other's position on realism vs. symbolism.  I didn't think his writing was all that clever, but I was willing to give him a pass for the era he was in.  Now I'm feeling much less kindly.

Other sad: my former best friend just finished a degree in linguistics at Reed and is looking for work as a proofreader.  And can't find any.  I really dislike this person and hate the way she's treated me, from her stupid fixation with being blonde to her smacking me around because she has a status-conferring boyfriend (handsome and extremely wealthy), but she's demonstrating that she doesn't have the shoulder muscle to build a good life for herself.

She'll probably be fine and very happy, but she wanted to be great.  We used to be so similar that she would be constantly mistaken for me, even though we had very different looks.  Now no one would call us at all alike.  Our trajectories are so disparate, our ethics so contradictory, that we could not possibly even be friends, I don't think.  She considers my very existence a threat to her well-being, since I am willing to work hard and do without and don't seem especially put off by it.

I guess I'll just have to be great for two.  But still--I'm sad things are turning out this way.  It's not that she's lacking in skills or talent.  It's that she doesn't want to claw her way into life and hold on, and thinks she deserves to have people kneel at her feet because some of her family has a bit of fame.  Yes, she could go to graduate school and get a job, but she doesn't seem to know that you're going to have to claw to get a posh job after grad school, too.  She's been living in a bubble, and choosing that bubble over trying things out, for so long that I don't see her changing her mind.

I don't especially like the reversed "re/er" in several words, it definitely feels a bit archaic.

It's also French.  A lot of the "Americanized" spelling is a movement towards straight-up English phonetics and away from traits absorbed when French words drifted into the language.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65357 on: September 04, 2013, 08:53:29 pm »

I just spent twenty minutes agonizing over every minute detail of my dinner order, only to discover at checkout that they don't do delivery :/

Time to try a different store...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65358 on: September 04, 2013, 09:02:22 pm »

It doesn't add anything to the conversation, it's just. . . Grossmannssucht.  Macho posturing.
Nitpicked that for you.
If you want to use pretentious German words and let the Schöngeist out, you better get your Rechtschreibung together. :P

Also, in Twain's defense, didn't he make a living of being a journalist? Bashing popular pop culture is still something to make a lot of money off today, so why shouldn't he do it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65359 on: September 04, 2013, 09:11:00 pm »

It doesn't add anything to the conversation, it's just. . . Grossmannssucht.  Macho posturing.
Nitpicked that for you.
If you want to use pretentious German words and let the Schöngeist out, you better get your Rechtschreibung together. :P

Also, in Twain's defense, didn't he make a living of being a journalist? Bashing popular pop culture is still something to make a lot of money off today, so why shouldn't he do it.

Danke schön =]

Because this isn't popular culture, it's some poor sap's crappy first novella and he was well-established enough at the time that he didn't need to exercise his powers of literary criticism on such a poor subject.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65360 on: September 04, 2013, 09:17:12 pm »

Well, yeah, but was it a completely unknown guy or was it one of those popular things that got forgotten like 5 years later? (Not an expert in American literature so I have no idea). Even if Twain was an asshole, you kinda have to be one to be as biting a satiricist as he was.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65361 on: September 04, 2013, 09:20:35 pm »

Well, yeah, but was it a completely unknown guy or was it one of those popular things that got forgotten like 5 years later? (Not an expert in American literature so I have no idea). Even if Twain was an asshole, you kinda have to be one to be as biting a satiricist as he was.

Completely unknown guy.  Completely.  He only received one other review, which basically said in far politer terms that the novel was complete trash--and that was from his alma mater's literary journal.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #65362 on: September 04, 2013, 09:22:48 pm »

American English is the one true English.

Why do you hate your own people, MonkeyHead? Think of all the Welsh you could speak.

Remember, American English was good enough for Jesus Christ, so it's good enough for you.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65363 on: September 04, 2013, 09:24:03 pm »

Why do you hate your own people, MonkeyHead? Think of all the Welsh you could speak.

Remember, American English was good enough for Jesus Christ, so it's good enough for you.
This would be a hell of a lot funnier if there weren't people who honestly believe this.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #65364 on: September 04, 2013, 09:24:09 pm »

Nitpicked that for you.

Danke schön =]

Because this isn't popular culture, it's some poor sap's crappy first novella and he was well-established enough at the time that he didn't need to exercise his powers of literary criticism on such a poor subject.

Don't forget that Samuel Clemens spent almost his entire adult life dead broke (having lost a fortune in inventions and his publishing house), and would write anything to bring in some cash, especially in his later years. Sure, he was a popular writer in his own day, and is revered as a literary giant in the modern era, but that didn't make him rich.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65365 on: September 04, 2013, 09:29:46 pm »

I guess, if the guy was completely unknown, it's a dick move to trash him. But then, if you know how writers struggled to make a living in the 19th century (and actually in the 20th and 21th too), making a fast buck on an easy target is somewhat understandable. That's still how a lot of "journalism" works today.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #65366 on: September 04, 2013, 09:30:52 pm »

This would be a hell of a lot funnier if there weren't people who honestly believe this.

Including a governor of Texas, no less! It's comforting to know the office is occupied by more world-wise men of state in these enlightened times.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65367 on: September 04, 2013, 09:33:55 pm »

Oh man, I wasn't trying to say he was rich.  However, I do think it was kind of immoral.  If he wanted to make money as a literary critic, there's better ways to do that than to dig up the final copy of an out-of-print novel everyone had forgotten about and pan it.

I've also visited his house.  I realize that having an amazingly beautiful house full of nice furniture and walls of swanky possessions doesn't mean that you're rich, but as a person who grew up in substantially meaner circumstances I really have a hard time feeling like he was so hard up that he had to do this.  Compared to a great many authors I've studied, he was fantastically well-off, and they didn't stoop to rottenness like this.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65368 on: September 04, 2013, 09:38:34 pm »

A lot of creative people I like are huge egomaniac assholes. But they have to be to be as great as they are.

Also Twain wasn't that well off for most of his life, the house you can visit today is obviously from the later, more successful stage of his life.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65369 on: September 04, 2013, 09:42:32 pm »

Being an egomaniac asshole makes you great?  News to me.

Pages: 1 ... 4356 4357 [4358] 4359 4360 ... 8167