Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4355 4356 [4357] 4358 4359 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9418871 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #65340 on: September 04, 2013, 02:48:50 pm »

But dead people have no anuses.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65341 on: September 04, 2013, 02:49:41 pm »

Point.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65342 on: September 04, 2013, 02:50:08 pm »

Depends how long they've been dead, tbh.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65343 on: September 04, 2013, 02:52:11 pm »

Naw man, that's how doctors find out if you're dead or not.  When permadeath happens your anus disappears, because that's the housing of your soul.

Feh, I thought everyone knew that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65344 on: September 04, 2013, 02:59:16 pm »

Naw man, that's how doctors find out if you're dead or not.  When permadeath happens your anus disappears, because that's the housing of your soul.

Ok, this is probably the craziest thing I've ever heard you say... I'm impressed.

Also what makes you say Mark Twain's an asshole?

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65345 on: September 04, 2013, 03:01:23 pm »

But it's true!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65346 on: September 04, 2013, 03:20:18 pm »

Ok, this is probably the craziest thing I've ever heard you say... I'm impressed.

I live to please =]

Also what makes you say Mark Twain's an asshole?

I feel like he built a lot of his reputation not as an author, but rather as a wit/great mind, by tearing down other people's work.  It's one thing to say "I don't like the work you're making, so I'll make something of my own," and it's another thing to rip into amateur writing and make a publication of it.  The comment about digging Jane Austen up so he could beat her to death comes to mind as well, though she was certainly not an amateur.

He published a book called "A Cure for the Blues," which is a roast of a particularly unfortunate novella some young man wrote.  And yes, the novella has no literary value save as a benchmark for the bad writing of the time, but for someone with the strength and public stature of Mark Twain to rip apart an amateur's work and make all sorts of snide comments about the writer's faculties seems. . . cruel.

It's like if John Irving or someone similar published My Immortal with an essay explaining why it's terrible.  Or if I took to writing long critiques of wish-fulfillment stories clearly written by 7-year-olds.  It's one thing to say "look, I've been reading a lot of really no-good things and here's a style guide of what I see as common errors, along with some representative examples," or to discuss something popular like Bieber or Twilight while criticizing the technical/moral aspects of the work, rather than the fans--but it's another thing to pick one out of the flock of amateur, unpopular writing and make money on tearing it down.  It doesn't add anything to the conversation, it's just. . . Grossmansucht.  Macho posturing.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65347 on: September 04, 2013, 03:39:08 pm »

So ... what about MST3K?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65348 on: September 04, 2013, 03:46:44 pm »

It's not Stephen Spielberg who's doing MST3K, now is it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65349 on: September 04, 2013, 03:47:41 pm »

... and Twain was not jesting. Though he did make one very pertinent point about censorship which is overquoted.
This is a blank sig.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65350 on: September 04, 2013, 03:57:25 pm »

The death of English English.
I suggest that we kill convert burn re-educate destroy the infidels. By which I mean users of American 'English'.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65351 on: September 04, 2013, 04:00:18 pm »

I suggest that we kill convert burn re-educate destroy the infidels. By which I mean users of American 'English'.

This all depends on the color of thier aluminum armor.

Oh god it feels wrong tying that. Ugh.
This is a blank sig.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65352 on: September 04, 2013, 04:02:14 pm »

American English is the one true English.

Why do you hate your own people, MonkeyHead? Think of all the Welsh you could speak.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #65353 on: September 04, 2013, 04:04:06 pm »

This all depends on the color of thier aluminum armor.

Oh god it feels wrong tying that. Ugh.

you spelled "their" wrong >_>

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65354 on: September 04, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »

Honestly at this point what kind of English I'm using depends on what kind of spellchecker I'm using.
Some words I just can't get used to spelling the American way, "defence" feels wrong to me without a C, and I always feel honour should have a U in it (comparing honor/honour has interesting results), but on the other hand I don't especially like the reversed "re/er" in several words, it definitely feels a bit archaic.
Pages: 1 ... 4355 4356 [4357] 4358 4359 ... 8167