Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4331 4332 [4333] 4334 4335 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429399 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64980 on: August 22, 2013, 02:30:50 pm »

!! My last wisdom tooth, just today, finally starting poking out of the gums.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64981 on: August 22, 2013, 02:34:01 pm »

I have some stuff peaking out of my gums I think. It doesn't hurt though, so all is good.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64982 on: August 22, 2013, 02:39:42 pm »

When I was much younger, I felt the tip of my molar just sticking out for a long time. Didn't have the faintest clue what it was till it eventually started sticking out more and became a tooth.

No sign of the Wisdom Teeth here.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64983 on: August 22, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »

Actually, now I think about it, my lower front teeth used to be perfectly straight. They're gay not perfectly in line any more so I guess that's my wisdom teeth' fault.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64984 on: August 22, 2013, 03:28:18 pm »

Ugh, my mom's been a real asshole for the past couple of days.  She says she's getting sick, which I understand, but I went in the kitchen and went all "LOLOL my friend is totally crushing on me ~<3" and she was like "Yes, that's what I thought >:( >:( >:("

And then she got mad at me because I thought she was angry.  Since she apparently has zero control over her tone of voice and constantly sounds irritated, annoyed, or angry, and then expects everyone else to assume that she isn't and act just as lovey-dovey with this tower of fury.

Being around my mom presents similar issues, but half of the time she actually is angry and bitter. She's really confrontational, and doesn't have a lot of self-control; one bad thing (even something as small as accidentally sitting on a book, or spilling something on the floor) can set her off for a day or more... and responding to her irritation with more irritation only causes her to escalate.

Honestly, I think she goes through life looking for excuses to lash out at other people, verbally or otherwise, because she isn't happy with her life at present... but is also unwilling to make the changes necessary to fix it.
... Yes, I have the crazy mother issues blues too.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #64985 on: August 22, 2013, 03:41:24 pm »

Most of my teeth have 3 or 4 roots per tooth, makes extraction or root canals rather problematic. Don't know how common it is, but apparently I inherited it from my mother.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #64986 on: August 22, 2013, 04:14:58 pm »

So watched an episode of Fresh Prince of Bel Air recently. Damnit, why'd it have to be the episode that ends with this? This scene always gets me, not enough to make me actually crack...but close. It hits me on an unconscious level, from a time before my memory. I barely remember my biological father. One or two scenes from when I was incredibly young, and a very awkward singular encounter in my teenage years that lasted a few minutes, not much more. An encounter he didn't plan on, and didn't want.

Sometimes I wonder. I know he had children after me, that I somewhere have a step-mother, half-brother and half-sister, cousins, aunts and uncles. None of whom I've met since I was too young to remember more than vague images and sensations about scenes scenes long lost from memory.

He knows where I am. He knows how he could get in touch with me. And I owe him nothing, I need nothing from him and I need nothing for him. As Will so elegantly put it, to hell with him.

But the others...brother, sister. I have a half-sister from my mother and step-father (whom I call Dad, who raised me from a young age and is as a true father in all but blood). I was raised alongside her, I watched her grow from a baby. She is my sister. I know what the sibling experience is like.

But I can't help but wonder, what are the unmet ones like? How does the other half of my blood live? Do they ever wonder about me? Do they even know they have an older brother? Would they even care? Why would they, if I was too young to remember more than that I did at one point see them, and they were even younger than me, how could they possibly remember? Or were they told of me?

Does it really matter? We were raised apart, all we share is the blood of a man that is a stranger to me. Nothing more.

Maybe I'm just in one of those moods.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 04:38:03 pm by MorleyDev »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64987 on: August 22, 2013, 05:20:28 pm »

So watched an episode of Fresh Prince of Bel Air recently. Damnit, why'd it have to be the episode that ends with this?

Oh man. Me, you, and Will Smith can be Absentee Dad bros now.

Maybe I'm lucky, in that we reconnected periodically through my life... but my relationship with my Dad has always been complicated. For most of childhood, he was just a fun guy to be around on the occasions I saw him, like a fun Uncle. I picked up a lot of creative interests from him, as well as his generally calm and rational attitude. But when he tried to step back into my life as a father, and teach me how to shave and drive and date a girl and all those things, he was kinda 10 years too late for those. Missed opportunities that I know he regrets missing, but... well, he still missed them. Sorta had to be my own Dad in that regard, and there's nothing that he can do to change that.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64988 on: August 22, 2013, 05:21:54 pm »

*shrug* My two lower teeth came out. My two upper ones didn't, but don't really give me any trouble, so I'm leaving them alone.

BTW: Cochrane
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #64989 on: August 22, 2013, 05:59:25 pm »

Maybe I'm lucky, in that we reconnected periodically through my life...

As I understand what happened, he had a history of being emotionally abusive that my mum's pregnancy seemed to magnify. He ended up cheating on my mother whilst she was pregnant with me. She found out not long after I was born, when he left his mistress and she responded by telling my mum everything. She asked if he could promise he'd never do it again, he said he couldn't. She moved out, took me with her and they got divorced. I would be about 6 months old at that point, both of them would of been only in their mid twenties.

Skip forward about four years and my mother wasn't happy with how little child support he was paying. They never went to court to get him to pay it, and knew if they did he would have to pay significantly more. At the time he was paying nothing near what a single mother would need to support a child, she says (my mum and step-dad were still in the "exclusive dating" stage at this point I believe). But she didn't want to have to go through the legal process and drag that out so they gave him a choice: Pay more child support (not sure how much more they were asking), or forsake his fortnightly visitation and pay no child support at all. He chose the latter.

All I remember of this visits is he used to bring me sweets, that he once accidentally lost me in a WHSmith for a bit, he once ran a red light, that the car once broke and he had to flag a bus, and he once took me to meet his new wife and child. Odd what sticks in the memory.

A harsh interpretation of him would say he decided the money was more important than his first-born son, a harsh interpretation of my mum would say she held her son to ransom against his father when he had a newly growing family to support. Nobody's a hero.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 06:21:42 pm by MorleyDev »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64990 on: August 22, 2013, 06:01:24 pm »

I'd really like to know whether this thing I'm singling out in tomorrow's presentation is a nucleolus or just a chromatin clump. I'll avoid labelling it and be ambiguous just in case.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64991 on: August 22, 2013, 06:23:54 pm »

-snip-

A harsh interpretation of him would say he decided the money was more important than his first-born son, a harsh interpretation of my mum would say she held her son to ransom against his father when he had a newly growing family to support. Nobody's a hero.

I haven't delved much into my folks divorce. I was too young to remember, and talking about the terms still makes either one of them upset. Old wounds, and all that. But I do know that after years of no child support, they came to an agreement that my father wouldn't have to pay back-owed child support, and could still spend time with us, as long as he covered our college expenses and medical bills. Something which he briefly tried, but also eventually failed to do.

Mum never took him to task on it, because he's been in a rough financial spot, she'd remarried since then, and me and my siblings had been working and paying for ourselves since we were in highschool. That said, I still think she has been too lenient and forgiving with him, and he kept making promises he couldn't keep. He probably owes enough for her to afford to completely remodel the house, or pay for all of our undergrad tuition for a few years. I don't think any of us will ever see that... but it's not something I ever really expected, or even wanted from him.

The resentful part of me just wants to show him that I can do all the things I want to do without his help. That I didn't need him then, and I don't need him now. But the rest of me wants to keep working to rebuild things. He's getting older, and I'd like to have a relationship with him, while we can. And... honestly, my stubborn independence has really fucked me over through the years. I've been learning to accept help when I really do need it, rather than just quietly suffering my way through it all the time. I'm still very bad at this.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64992 on: August 22, 2013, 06:53:45 pm »

Ach!

Pardon the double post, but I'm preparing to compete with a team in the 27th Ludum Dare game jam tomorrow. Touched base with the lead programmer on our team, and he apparently just had oral surgery done, and feels like poop... plus his wife is throwing a birthday party for some kids at their house during the competition!

Crap on a cracker... I'm not sure if we can do this. I mean, I could try to use something like Gamemaker and take over that side of development, but a programmer I am not. And if I do that, that means we're out a dedicated artist... plus we'd have to scrap the homemade engine our programmer had been preparing for us.

Anyone know a programmer who wants to make games, is decent at Java, and has some free time from Friday to Monday to help our team? These 72-Hour Game Jam games don't have to be amazing... but we can't really do anything without one.

Otherwise, I must away on a quest to find us a new Javamancer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:01:35 pm by Solifuge »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64993 on: August 22, 2013, 09:22:23 pm »

So I have an issue.  I want to play through Fallout 2 with the AP ammo fix, but I cannot find it.  If this persists, Ill just move on.  Hopefully I can beat the series before classes begin!
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64994 on: August 22, 2013, 09:38:19 pm »

... might have better luck popping a thread up over in other games. Does look like (one of?) the restoration patches fixes the issue, though, if you're willing to play with whatever those things add in.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 4331 4332 [4333] 4334 4335 ... 8167