Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4320 4321 [4322] 4323 4324 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439337 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64815 on: August 16, 2013, 11:49:02 am »

I looked at those.  That's sadness worthy.  I knew to be skeptical with utilizing something that we have very little understanding of, but it reminds me that I'm perfectly justified in feeling outright terrified of it.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64816 on: August 16, 2013, 02:25:12 pm »

my screen is dying and lets me know that by the occasional flickering and constant highly pitched sound coming from an undefined location inside it. good thing i have headphones, and hopefully it only needs to last two more weeks. if it doesn't i'm going to take my ridiculous-size crt tv and use it instead.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #64817 on: August 16, 2013, 02:50:28 pm »

It's hard to explain. They're Quebec, it's ... it's Quebec.
It's okay.  Take your time.
It's just a thing that happens with Quebec because Quebec and then the Quebec is so Quebec that Quebec is Quebec.
Can some other Canadian explan this? It's like an inborn instinct.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64818 on: August 16, 2013, 03:08:41 pm »

Ugh, fine, I guess I'm the only non-kneejerk Canadian here.

Apologizing for this would involve the government and the catholic church losing face at a time when neither of them particularly wants to lose more face than they already have. There have already been a string of corruption charges against government officials in Quebec, and the catholic church has recently (and for a while) been losing its hold on parts of Quebec. The province likes to hold up the more progressive leanings of its city dwelling populations as the driving force behind the province, and is eager to not sully that image (that its more conservative rural populations don't agree with to begin with).

It's politics, it's always politics.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64819 on: August 16, 2013, 03:38:38 pm »

I've put out something like 20 different housing request letters for Craigslist and only two have responded.  One of those was a "Doctor" who typed in all caps, all the time.  The other is the place I was going to move into on Sunday, but it looks like that's not happening.

I won't be out of house and home if this falls through.  I've got somewhere else I can live.  Only problem is that it's back in with my old housemates, one of whom is hella abusive (others are total rockstars of coolness, however).

Still nothing back from the job.  Interviewed Wednesday before last, sent the thank-you notes last Friday.  Very nervous.  Going to call in soon...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64820 on: August 16, 2013, 03:42:15 pm »

What a coincidence! I've recently put up a Craigslist housing ad, and gotten two responses, both of which wanted my bank account information "so they could wire me some money for the rent".

hahahahano.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64821 on: August 16, 2013, 05:47:35 pm »

When my friend sent me a short film about zombies, I did not expect it to be this sad.

Are you my friend? Because I sent this to a friend not an hour ago!
(Probably a coincidence, though, since it was featured on Cracked. It was pretty amazing from a creative standpoint, but pretty sad, as well.

Oh dear god.  I could tell just from a 5-second glance at the top comments exactly what I was getting into.  Somehow it still managed to hit me much harder than I thought it would.  Being a parent probably doesn't help.  That was beautiful.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64822 on: August 16, 2013, 06:43:32 pm »

Normal minor sadness of visitors mixed with TVs.

I can't help but find myself wondering.

Does Pat Sajak ever have nightmares of clap tracks?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #64823 on: August 16, 2013, 07:22:56 pm »

Ugh, fine, I guess I'm the only non-kneejerk Canadian here.

Apologizing for this would involve the government and the catholic church losing face at a time when neither of them particularly wants to lose more face than they already have. There have already been a string of corruption charges against government officials in Quebec, and the catholic church has recently (and for a while) been losing its hold on parts of Quebec. The province likes to hold up the more progressive leanings of its city dwelling populations as the driving force behind the province, and is eager to not sully that image (that its more conservative rural populations don't agree with to begin with).

It's politics, it's always politics.
There we go.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #64824 on: August 16, 2013, 07:50:13 pm »

Teeth feel uncomfortable. They're either realigning myself after my wisdom teeth were removed, of its because the numbing hasn't entirely worn off yet.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64825 on: August 16, 2013, 08:45:47 pm »

Bleh. The left speaker on my pair of Earbuds stopped working.
All the more reason to save for a decent headset, I guess.
As it stands though, OCD will force me to have it in my ear, while OCD will force me to take it out because it feels like it's just sitting there doing nothing.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64826 on: August 16, 2013, 10:04:41 pm »

My new avatar doesn't seem to work. Unless it does, and then please tell me.

Edit: At least Steam likes it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:07:51 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64827 on: August 16, 2013, 10:54:05 pm »

Nevermind last night, I was just being retarded again.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:02:45 am by MadMalkavian »
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64828 on: August 17, 2013, 12:52:21 am »

Man, what's with this tingling, numb sensation in my left hand and arm. It's like I've fallen asleep on it, but I haven't. I'm just minding my own business at home as usual. What the hell is wrong I can't get it to stop...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64829 on: August 17, 2013, 12:55:09 am »

Do what I do when that happens - give in to the paranoia and check your pulse. Far more likely, though, a nerve got pinched or something and it'll clear up in a while.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 4320 4321 [4322] 4323 4324 ... 8167