Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4318 4319 [4320] 4321 4322 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440888 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64785 on: August 15, 2013, 06:20:34 pm »

Actually, I do have a tendency to call him Bill once the conversation's established which one we're talking about. And the other one I call Dubya >_________>

Of course, that has more to do with the my perception of them as a person and an acceptable target for not-treating-respectfully, respectively. As opposed to as a public figure to be discussed professionally. So, uh, I don't think I'm actually raising an objection.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64786 on: August 15, 2013, 06:23:49 pm »

Perhaps more importantly than anything else, autocorrect recognizes Nietzsche but does not recognize Sarkeesian.

But there's also the fact that your listed examples are US Presidents and a world famous philosopher/author, while Anita Sarkeesian is a college graduate who makes videos on the internet and is now doing consultation for EA. Not even close to being the kind of prestige for a last-name basis.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64787 on: August 15, 2013, 06:26:56 pm »

Of course, that has more to do with the my perception of them as a person and an acceptable target for not-treating-respectfully, respectively. As opposed to as a public figure to be discussed professionally. So, uh, I don't think I'm actually raising an objection.

Fascinating.

But there's also the fact that your listed examples are US Presidents and a world famous philosopher/author, while Anita Sarcesian is a college graduate who makes videos on the internet and is now doing consultation for EA. Not even close to being the kind of prestige for a last-name basis.

I certainly don't call any professors by their first name, even when I'm insulting them behind their backs.  They aren't exactly prestigious.  I don't call my high school teachers by their first names, either.

Is Anita Sarkheesian your personal friend?  Please do introduce us ASAP.

EDIT: Look, I don't want to start a big fight, but I would like it if you thought about what you're expressing through your forms of address for a couple seconds.  That's it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:29:20 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64788 on: August 15, 2013, 06:28:25 pm »

You see Anita doesn't project herself as a doctor, she is meant to be appealing to a wide audience.

Hence why she uses her first name and doesn't call herself Dr. Sarcesian

Which come to think of it is the common difference between public figures and professionals. Public figures project their first name because they want to project familiarity, while professionals want to project professional disconnect and thus project their last names.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64789 on: August 15, 2013, 06:30:24 pm »

You see Anita doesn't project herself as a doctor, she is meant to be appealing to a wide audience.

That is possibly also because she does not possess a doctorate.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64790 on: August 15, 2013, 06:31:46 pm »

That is possibly also because she does not possess a doctorate.

Is it a Masters?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64791 on: August 15, 2013, 06:31:56 pm »

But there's also the fact that your listed examples are US Presidents and a world famous philosopher/author, while Anita Sarcesian is a college graduate who makes videos on the internet and is now doing consultation for EA. Not even close to being the kind of prestige for a last-name basis.

I certainly don't call any professors by their first name, even when I'm insulting them behind their backs.  They aren't exactly prestigious.  I don't call my high school teachers by their first names, either.

Is Anita Sarkheesian your personal friend?  Please do introduce us ASAP.
Of course she is not, but she also isn't my better in any professional sense. If I were her student I might be compelled to call her Ms. Sarkeesian (and seriously, I have to keep that typed in my Google bar to get it right), but I am not. If she had a PhD I would probably call her Dr. Sarkeesian regardless, but she does not.

As far as I am concerned, Anita Sarkeesian is some person on the internet, nothing more. And you generally refer to people on the internet by their first name, because this is an egalitarian medium and usernames don't conform to the usual naming conventions.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64792 on: August 15, 2013, 06:34:47 pm »

... most of my college profs (well, for the bachelors studies anyway) actually asked that and preferred it for their students to call them by their first name :(

Few of m'high school teachers, too. For what it's worth.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64793 on: August 15, 2013, 06:39:47 pm »

... most of my college profs (well, for the bachelors studies anyway) actually asked that and preferred it for their students to call them by their first name :(

Few of m'high school teachers, too. For what it's worth.

I honestly think there is a growing movement (or rather cultural development) towards people preferring first names to last names.

Even if I was a doctor I'd prefer my first name. Heck Dr. Neonivek

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64794 on: August 15, 2013, 06:45:02 pm »

See, all but one of my college professors and most of my high school teachers insisted on their last names. Must vary from place to place.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64795 on: August 15, 2013, 06:54:12 pm »

People have a habit of disappearing, or being unable to help at all when I'm moving, despite that I've helped those I know move a grand total of 9 times in the past year. So I'm doing a 60-mile move solo, in my little car. Exciting.

Along with this, my soon-to-be-former roommate insisted that I get rid of a beautiful, but heavy entertainment center I'd garbage-picked, cleaned up, and repaired, but won't have room for until my next move.

Spoiler: This One (click to show/hide)

Once I take it all down, he decides it is really nice, and asks if he can keep it at the old place until I have room for it again. Happy to hear that I'll be able to keep it after all, I reassemble it. Turns out he only wants to keep the bottom half of it, since the top won't fit his gigantic-ass TV (the one he bought to replace his old gigantic-ass TV, all the while telling me how hard it was for him to afford his bills and make ends meet).

I asked him if I could store the top half in the storage unit at the apartment he'll be keeping it at. He refuses, and tells me to just take it with me. I tell him that I won't have the room for that at my new place. He tells me to just throw it out.

TL;DR - My friends are douchebags. Why do I surround myself with douchebags?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64796 on: August 15, 2013, 06:58:38 pm »

There is a fly in here. A tiny, nimble one I cannot seem to kill. Goddamn it, I just got the place apparently-insect-free last week. It must've got in when the door was stuck open while my roommate finished moving out.

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64797 on: August 15, 2013, 07:02:43 pm »

See, all but one of my college professors and most of my high school teachers insisted on their last names. Must vary from place to place.
I only had one professor (a music professor) that was anal on being called professor or doctor. Everyone else didn't care or encouraged it. We're all adults in the room and Im pretty sure we know who knows more about the subject. I think its also because being adults we aren't little twits from small school and we recognize authority so theres not much point to enforce it ( im paying for school anyways)

Point being, Start calling Toady professor and see what happens :P

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #64798 on: August 15, 2013, 07:18:58 pm »

For a significant portion of the US populace, using Title + Lastname except in an atmosphere of EXTREME professionalism is a huge insult; and implies a certain degree of contempt. Social standards are not the same anywhere.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64799 on: August 15, 2013, 07:22:24 pm »

For a significant portion of the US populace, using Title + Lastname except in an atmosphere of EXTREME professionalism is a huge insult; and implies a certain degree of contempt. Social standards are not the same anywhere.
Really? Everywhere I've been, a doctor (The medical type) is usually referred to as Dr. Morris or the equivalent.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 4318 4319 [4320] 4321 4322 ... 8167