Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4315 4316 [4317] 4318 4319 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441998 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64740 on: August 14, 2013, 11:57:08 am »

It's not necessarily that I feel that I don't deserve it.  I've worked in unconventional ways compared to most of my peers, and I always knew I was going to either go big or die in the gutter.  Everyone always knew--I don't know why.  My grades weren't that great and there was always someone more prominent.

It's like how, as a child, I spent my whole life focused on getting into college.  But I had not conceptualized a me-in-college.  It was as though my old self had died, I was a brand new person, and I had no idea how to cope... the old goal was gone.  And similarly, I haven't prepared for success.  Definitely not this kind.  So when I say I'm going to distract myself, what I mean is that I need to find a new direction.  Because somehow, I made it to a goal I wasn't even trying for.  I wasn't prepared for any of this.  Now I have to be a whole new self, who has this kind of success but still has goals.  I was entirely unprepared to even consider this situation...

Anyway, thank you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64741 on: August 14, 2013, 12:08:42 pm »

Ah, ok... yeah, I guess I can kinda see that happening if I ever get to where I want to be.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64742 on: August 14, 2013, 12:50:54 pm »

I'm feeling kind of punch-drunk today. Stupid post-concussion garbage.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64743 on: August 14, 2013, 01:51:49 pm »

goddamnit bay12 following the recent 200% rabbit per rabbit conversation i want a rabbit and the worst part is there is nothing i can possibly think of that stops me from taking several cratefuls of rabbits and strewing them around, achieving beautiful levels of fuzziness and rabbit-y things

let's hope rabbits are expensive, you bastards

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #64744 on: August 14, 2013, 02:32:17 pm »

paaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnn
It's FEF, not FEOF

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64745 on: August 14, 2013, 07:53:19 pm »

So I got a letter in the mail from the college I'm going to, I thought it would be some kind of billing thing, I open it up to find out that it's an acceptance letter from the honours society that I applied to at the beginning of the summer.

My mother, upon finding this out, decides to chew me out about how unachieved I am, and I mean seriously chewing me out, she was shouting pretty loudly. My father politely asks her to stop, she shouts at him asking him why she should stop, he responds by saying that I already know all of this.

Then some time later my mother broods about how in the summer the animals will be left alone in the house consistently for the first time in years, and that I'll have to bring the cat to school because she needs 24/7 care (this cat was hurt some time back, but actually appears to be doing ok), and proclaims I'm abandoning the animals... then she says she was only joking about that... she sure didn't sound like it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64746 on: August 14, 2013, 11:47:25 pm »

I just want to wake up in the morning not feeling alone and miserable. Waking up from my dreams, vividly remembering everything I deeply regret and wish I could change just makes me want to die. I don't know what it says about me that I wake up murmuring 'I hate myself' to myself.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64747 on: August 15, 2013, 12:02:14 am »

I don't know, either.

I'm pretty depressed, too.  Haven't felt quite this way in a long time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64748 on: August 15, 2013, 12:23:56 am »

I just want to wake up in the morning not feeling alone and miserable. Waking up from my dreams, vividly remembering everything I deeply regret and wish I could change just makes me want to die. I don't know what it says about me that I wake up murmuring 'I hate myself' to myself.

Hating yourself doesn't do you any good... and you should do what's good for you. Life 101.

I hold on to regrets too. They have a nasty habit of popping up in my mind, and frustrating or hurting or embarrassing me, even if it's been years since the event I regret. All these little things I wish I could have done better, or done differently. I've actually developed a tic from the way I sometimes get bit by these invasive regrets, where I'll groan, or grit my teeth, or even curse under my breath, just to vent the recycled negative feelings, and get them out of my mind when I don't have time to deal with them.

Forgiving other people comes pretty easily for me. Perhaps it's strange, then, that it's so hard for me to forgive myself, and let go of my regrets. This gets even worse when I'm depressed. If you're anything like me in this regard, I'd suggest you try to exercise self-forgiveness. Take those regrets, and try to isolate what you wish you had done differently. Then, spend some time coming up with a plan to avoid that happening again. Rehearse a similar scenario in your head, if you have to. Then, after you've got your plan, make an agreement with yourself to let that regret go, and not feel bad about it unless you mess up the same way again. And in that case, just repeat the above process.

It's not an easy thing to do... but you deserve good things. Don't keep happiness from yourself by hoarding regret. Show yourself the same kindness you extend to others.

Anyway, this may be helpful. Possibly for you too, Vector, for different reasons.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64749 on: August 15, 2013, 12:53:58 am »

No, I am fucking losing it.  I've been scared to post something like that because I really don't want any help.  But I am legit ... something.  I don't know what to call it.  Something that keeps coming back.  I keep ending up in this spot, and it keeps being harder to get myself out of it.

I need work because I need to work not for some payment reason and I'm scared that somehow they saw my inane postings on the interwebs and are trying to figure out how to legally screw me out of the job because then I'm going to get worse.  I've been out of work two weeks, one week largely spent intensely looking for work, and I'm fucking falling off the cliff.  I'm considering finding an entirely new field to chew into because seriously, cliff, this is bad and the stimulus required to keep me balanced in terms of sheer novelty has expanded by a factor of... 15, if I were to measure with a rather literal metric I won't subject you to.  I'm so bored I can't sleep.

Tomorrow I'm going on a Draconian schedule and making sure I translate for at least 9 hours and do a lot of running.  I have a project I've been putting off for years and in the next couple days, it's happening.  Then I can decide on something else to do.  Even the dense critical theory tomes I've been reading aren't doing it anymore, so much as I don't want to I probably need to switch languages, too.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64750 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:55 am »

You know, sometimes your workaholic tendencies worry me.

I don't know, I have the exact opposite issue, I compulsively avoid a lot of things I should really be doing, and not just because they're necessary from a "there will be big consequences if you don't do this" point of view, but because they're things I know will be great for me personally longer term.
Instead I sort of futz around pacing, or spend a lot of time playing games that really aren't engaging or entertaining me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64751 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:15 am »

Good luck, everyone. Not much more to say, really.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #64752 on: August 15, 2013, 01:26:28 am »

It's not necessarily that I feel that I don't deserve it.  I've worked in unconventional ways compared to most of my peers, and I always knew I was going to either go big or die in the gutter.  Everyone always knew--I don't know why.  My grades weren't that great and there was always someone more prominent.

It's like how, as a child, I spent my whole life focused on getting into college.  But I had not conceptualized a me-in-college.  It was as though my old self had died, I was a brand new person, and I had no idea how to cope... the old goal was gone.  And similarly, I haven't prepared for success.  Definitely not this kind.  So when I say I'm going to distract myself, what I mean is that I need to find a new direction.  Because somehow, I made it to a goal I wasn't even trying for.  I wasn't prepared for any of this.  Now I have to be a whole new self, who has this kind of success but still has goals.  I was entirely unprepared to even consider this situation...

Anyway, thank you.
Heh, that sounds all too familiar. Thinking about it, I'm beginning to suspect the root cause may be conditioning resulting from myths about the 'child prodigy.' And that you may have the cause and effect in your first paragraph backwards.

From my experience, there is an enormous pressure put on people when they become viewed as a 'child prodigy' of some sort; and usually starting at a very young age. For me, it was somewhere around first or second grade. At which points pressures began to mount from all sides. Not just parents, whose biases about their child being the best have now been validated by early testing, but by society as a whole. Both teachers and more importantly, peers, begin to see you as the 'smart kid' who they look up to; and continue to do so regardless of whether you do well in classes. The common misconception being that, having a head start, you will simply continue to widen the gap... when actual data suggests the opposite is what usually happens. With the results being soemwhat nasty...

Having been implicitly told for your entire childhood that "you are better than all these other people/you can do more than all these other people," failure is no longer an option. Not only that, but even being average at something you care about is a failure. Even being above average is largely unacceptable, when you can look up and see others who are better and say to yourself "if they could do it, I certainly should be able to." Whether or not it is consciously believed, the feeling of "I can do better than other people," and more to the point "I should do better than other people," has by this point been driven deep into one's subconscious. Every success is tainted with apprehension and self doubt, as you look around and see all these other people on your level, or even above it, and think to yourself how much more deserving they are; how you have failed because there are all these people who are better at what you do than you are, despite knowing that I should do better than other people. Simply looking up once more, and wishing merely to be average in that group; regardless of the fact that the group is the top 1%; or 0.5%; or 0.25%; or 0.125%....

Or at least that's been my experience of things.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64753 on: August 15, 2013, 01:38:52 am »

Yeah, and my problem is that I know that if I stick to pacing or playing games that aren't engaging me, I'll start intentionally hurting myself or have little random thoughts about drinking dishwater because, I don't know, that would be new, wouldn't it.

Hence pushing myself towards work, because then I look functional, productive, and totally sane.  And successful.  And all that great stuff that society is so fond of.

Alway... I don't know what to say, but you're wrong in so many ways for my particular case.  I don't know anyone else who is doing what I'm doing, nor have I heard of anyone else who is doing what I'm doing.  That's why I'm so stressed out about it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #64754 on: August 15, 2013, 01:45:02 am »

Could be me, or maybe not. =/

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 4315 4316 [4317] 4318 4319 ... 8167