Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4311 4312 [4313] 4314 4315 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9434391 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64680 on: August 11, 2013, 10:13:55 am »

My god, I finished the linked game Oracle of Seasons and Ages, defeated Ganon, and saved NotHyrule from certain destruction.

I have to say though, the last hour of that game was pure, unadulterated hair-pulling frustration. The penultimate final boss had a bizarre weakness that I honestly would never have found out if I didn't look it up in a walkthrough, I just thought she had SHITTONS of health as I wailed on her with my Master Sword for maybe a solid half-hour, but it turns out that even though she was making a noise and flashing in a way that clues the player into the fact she's being hurt, she wasn't being hurt at all, it was a bold faced lie to the player.

What you have to do, is you have to use this odd little weapon that up to that point in the game could barely hurt normal enemies and otherwise didn't have any story significance whatsoever, and normally the game clues you in that you have to use a certain weapon by providing it shortly beforehand, or by providing you ammo for it in the very arena that you're in, which it didn't this time around. That was unmistakeable, ultimate, absolute time wasting bullshit. I was just saying "My god just fucking die and end the game already." and I still had another irritating boss to fight right after that. I was fuming angry by the time the final credits rolled.

Zelda games are usually better than that, it left me supremely disappointed.

First time I did that fight, I noticed she wasn't dying and used that certain other weapon on her. You know, the one you had to specifically use on 2-3 other bosses. Didn't realize that the other similar weapons also worked. Though, admittedly, this particular boss didn't have the usual hint.
Spoiler: weapon spoiler (click to show/hide)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64681 on: August 11, 2013, 10:37:37 am »

My god, I finished the linked game Oracle of Seasons and Ages, defeated Ganon, and saved NotHyrule from certain destruction.

I have to say though, the last hour of that game was pure, unadulterated hair-pulling frustration. The penultimate final boss had a bizarre weakness that I honestly would never have found out if I didn't look it up in a walkthrough, I just thought she had SHITTONS of health as I wailed on her with my Master Sword for maybe a solid half-hour, but it turns out that even though she was making a noise and flashing in a way that clues the player into the fact she's being hurt, she wasn't being hurt at all, it was a bold faced lie to the player.

What you have to do, is you have to use this odd little weapon that up to that point in the game could barely hurt normal enemies and otherwise didn't have any story significance whatsoever, and normally the game clues you in that you have to use a certain weapon by providing it shortly beforehand, or by providing you ammo for it in the very arena that you're in, which it didn't this time around. That was unmistakeable, ultimate, absolute time wasting bullshit. I was just saying "My god just fucking die and end the game already." and I still had another irritating boss to fight right after that. I was fuming angry by the time the final credits rolled.

Zelda games are usually better than that, it left me supremely disappointed.

First time I did that fight, I noticed she wasn't dying and used that certain other weapon on her. You know, the one you had to specifically use on 2-3 other bosses. Didn't realize that the other similar weapons also worked. Though, admittedly, this particular boss didn't have the usual hint.
Spoiler: weapon spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah I probably should have noticed that she wasn't dying after awhile and changed my tactics, but I was in a hurry to beat the game, and so I was just mindless charging at her going "JUST DIE JUST DIE JUST DIE ALREADY! JUST GIVE UP AND DIE! I WANT TO STOP PLAYING THIS GAME FFS!", and she WAS making the "I'm damaged!" sound an every hit so I was just thinking "Maybe just one more sword swing will do it..." and so I wound up wasting alot more of my time than I needed to.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #64682 on: August 11, 2013, 10:43:02 am »

Perhaps not clinical depression, but still feeling pretty bad. It's more loss of motivation and a feeling of hopelessness that goes on for a long long time than depression, maybe. Suspecting it's caused by school.
Yeah, lack of motivation and feelings of hopelessness sounds like common depression symptoms. I'd say the best thing to do is just go do something and take your mind off it, but from personal experience this can be hard to do, depending on how super-frakking-sad you are.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #64683 on: August 11, 2013, 10:49:10 am »

Perhaps not clinical depression, but still feeling pretty bad. It's more loss of motivation and a feeling of hopelessness that goes on for a long long time than depression, maybe. Suspecting it's caused by school.
Yeah, lack of motivation and feelings of hopelessness sounds like common depression symptoms. I'd say the best thing to do is just go do something and take your mind off it, but from personal experience this can be hard to do, depending on how super-frakking-sad you are.
...Well.Great. So I've got depression.

..Woo~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #64684 on: August 11, 2013, 10:51:01 am »

Only if you have them constantly and over a,ling period of time and also a bunch of other symptoms ;)
Love, scriver~

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #64685 on: August 11, 2013, 11:02:29 am »

Yes, I'm diagnosing myself and tracing it back through the years since post-high school.

So...yeah, I believe I've a mild and self-treatable case of it, where the latter comes via introspection and me talking to myself.

..Yay depression. >_>

Sad for today: Storms!

Local weather raises signal 3: the common 'worst' case for tropical typhoons before Signal 4 (which is close to lethal).

> All Elementary and HS schools do not have classes.
> College?

* Tiruin prepares thick jacket with hood, nice high boots, thick socks, gloves and that white umbrella.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64686 on: August 11, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »

Still no rain.

A big storm was forecasted to hit the general Balkans area two days ago, most of it hit and it was awesome. Here, nothing, not even a menacing cloud. Sure the temperature has dropped by like 15 degrees over two days, but that's nothing compared to an awesome rainstorm :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64687 on: August 11, 2013, 06:57:14 pm »

Sad for today: Storms!

Local weather raises signal 3: the common 'worst' case for tropical typhoons before Signal 4 (which is close to lethal).

> All Elementary and HS schools do not have classes.
> College?

* Tiruin prepares thick jacket with hood, nice high boots, thick socks, gloves and that white umbrella.

We too have thunderstorms today! Though not that bad.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #64688 on: August 11, 2013, 09:11:50 pm »

So you can go to school with the middle school students, Tiruin! ;D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #64689 on: August 11, 2013, 09:13:56 pm »

Pretty sure Tiruin is Aussie? We don't have middle school.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64690 on: August 11, 2013, 10:30:48 pm »

My father doesn't really know computers.  He's trying and he is willing to let me show him how to do something.  He is always moving music from a music player to his computer and I even taught him how to use a cool turntable device that converts old vinyl records to MP3.

But I also know he uses the internet, and he is not particularly safe on it.  He once went to a malicious site.  The antivirus I had installed on his computer gave it's warning, I heard it a room away, and I told him previously what to do if it goes off.

He ignored it, and when I asked him about it he told me that he wasn't going to let the computer tell him what he can and cannot do.

The 2 month old laptop is now running noticeably slower, I'm pretty sure it has some kind of infection, but there is nothing popping up screaming problem at him.  In fact he thinks it's the antivirus slowing him down, saying that it worked fine until my 'thing' popped up.

I'm pretty sure he would let me run my tools on it if I insisted, and I wanna help. But at the same time, I know what kind of sites he visits, and no matter what I do it's just going to happen again, and it feels like any effort I put in would be wasted. It's frustrating and depressing.
At least he's too paranoid with his information to ever put anything valuable in the computer.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64691 on: August 11, 2013, 10:40:03 pm »

Pretty sure Tiruin is Aussie? We don't have middle school.

Filipina.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64692 on: August 12, 2013, 02:35:13 am »

-snip-
Be thankful he listens and tries. My mother DEMANDS that you explain it to her, not just do it yourself. Then she decides that she isn't going to listen to you and do what you say. If you call her out on this bullshit, she bitches about how she doesn't know what you're talking about. Even though all I told her to do is to press the fucking button. That is right there. IT EVEN HAS A PICTURE OF A PRINTER ON IT. OF COURSE IT PRINTS YOU IDIOT.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64693 on: August 12, 2013, 03:16:55 am »

So many bright people will tell you that math and love are antipodes.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #64694 on: August 12, 2013, 05:40:50 am »

Speaking of math.
It's killing me and along with every single other school subject I can't take it anymore. It just exhausts me and feels pointless, but there's that stress where I feel that if I fail I'm not going anywhere in life. Just so ARGH Dx

And teachers are useless on this topic. I brought up the subject but she brushed it off as "What else can you do? Just try harder and get good scores." If you want to make mathematicians an elite group where only a small small number of people enter (even fewer than now), just spread Korean-style maths to every corner of the civilized world. A couple generations barely have to pass before there will be a derth of people interested in math.

So exhausted... A mere 18 months of high school was enough to do this, how will I survive the 18 months to follow?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 4311 4312 [4313] 4314 4315 ... 8167