Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4307 4308 [4309] 4310 4311 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430000 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64620 on: August 08, 2013, 05:40:17 pm »

What do you want a church for? Gonna convert it into a house?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64621 on: August 08, 2013, 05:41:55 pm »

Aye. They're beautiful~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64622 on: August 08, 2013, 05:46:25 pm »

... yeah, that's been a kind of tempting back-of-head thought for me, too. I generally like their floor plans, and there's a non-negligible tendency for them to be kinda'... out of the way, in some areas, but still close enough to things to be, y'know, close to things.

Smaller one, probably covert the general open area (pews et al) that's common with 'em into a two-story deal, put up some walls and whatnot in the open areas, maybe. S'usually a lot of open space you can play with in those things. Potential.

And expensive, of course. Ehn.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64623 on: August 08, 2013, 05:46:59 pm »

As the person on welfare, I feel qualified to say money does have it's benefits.*

Also, everything best in moderation. Luxury too. The problem is human nature's "Ever Upward" mentality. Staying where you are sucks, going up is hard, and going down to go back up is a temporary and hollow measure. So go up, slowly! Why not.

Nah, I'm not saying that poverty is amazing or something.  What I mean is that once you have the security to get your beans and rice and apples, and a little space to yourself, healthcare (which should be free to everyone BTW :I) and all that, then I start wondering what the hell I'm doing.

Dammit, we need more public works projects.  And monuments.  And development of Culture rather than Military, because that's a more satisfying victory condition anyway.

Living simply and saving up money for the really important big stuff is a good plan. After all, if you're going to own land might as well make it the best land for you that you can get, rather than settling for something you don't like as much but is all can afford.

Yeah, well... on the other hand I don't even really want to own land for my own usage or whatever, I just want us as a culture to do a better job taking care of our green things and animals.

I'd like it if the US built some cathedrals to nature :I  More churches to community, generosity, and love rather than whatever the hell we're doing right now!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #64624 on: August 08, 2013, 05:51:17 pm »

Nah, I'm not saying that poverty is amazing or something.  What I mean is that once you have the security to get your beans and rice and apples, and a little space to yourself, healthcare (which should be free to everyone BTW :I) and all that, then I start wondering what the hell I'm doing.
*Xantalos and Descan pounce*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64625 on: August 08, 2013, 05:54:16 pm »

Yeah... I hear yeh, Vec. When you're not someone that's really comfortable with the whole consume-consume-consume thing, it can get hard to see a point to things in this culture, some days.

Also hard to find stuff to support yourself on that doesn't, like, feed into that. Just want somewhat comfortable work that's actually giving some kind of benefit to my community/people instead of feeding the consumer machine and it's... not easy. Which makes motivation hard, bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64626 on: August 08, 2013, 05:56:43 pm »

Haha, no, it wasn't sticker shock--more like relief >_> <_<

In any case if I put enough in a 401k and charity I could be able to drop a tax bracket AND give money away to save the planet.  So that would be cool.
I don't think it quite works that way, it's still your income even if you give it away later.

Also you may not qualify for the savings deduction if your income is too high, it only really applies to people in the lowest brackets.

Then of course the state income tax deduction only applies if you opt to take it over the sales tax deduction, the sales tax deduction may wind up getting higher depending on your grocery bill and such.

There seems to be a few tax deductions that only apply in exchange for not taking another deduction... I feel like I should break out some spreadsheets for this stuff and use the number skills I got working out optimized builds (and they say video games taught me nothing).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64627 on: August 08, 2013, 06:01:24 pm »

Really?  That's why all those big companies do philanthropic work--they figure out that they can save money by giving some away.

Anyway, I don't really understand taxes.  We'll see.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #64628 on: August 08, 2013, 06:02:58 pm »

I'd like it if the US built some cathedrals to nature :I  More churches to community, generosity, and love rather than whatever the hell we're doing right now!

Dunno what crazy Westboro Baptist Church you've been going to, but in my experience the general Methodist church fits the bill of "community, generosity, and love" pretty well.

If you're referring to a building that supports generosity, community, etc but without the whole religion-y aspect then I think that'd be called a community center.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64629 on: August 08, 2013, 06:04:00 pm »

Really?  That's why all those big companies do philanthropic work--they figure out that they can save money by giving some away.

Anyway, I don't really understand taxes.  We'll see.
I think it's more to do with it being "free" PR, in that they lose the money, but it was money they were going to lose anyway.

I'm not entirely sure how it works either to be honest.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64630 on: August 08, 2013, 06:06:48 pm »

I'm looking for something that isn't built quite so much on a Christian foundation.  I think a lot of people confuse charity and generosity, and I'm not exactly happy about it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64631 on: August 08, 2013, 06:09:23 pm »

Tengri churches for everyone!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64632 on: August 08, 2013, 06:13:58 pm »

Like, seriously, only give stuff to people if they need it or you need something from them?  I just... man.  What if it would be good for them?  What if you don't need it?  What if they just want it?  What about giving just to exercise your muscles?  Why do you need to give in order to procure your own salvation?  That's not a gift, that's usury under another name!

And this goes into work practices, too.  "Only put in effort if they're paying you a lot."  Well, no, that only makes sense if your work lacks any inherent worth, and if that's the case then we've got bigger problems.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64633 on: August 08, 2013, 06:19:03 pm »

And this goes into work practices, too.  "Only put in effort if they're paying you a lot."  Well, no, that only makes sense if your work lacks any inherent worth, and if that's the case then we've got bigger problems.

this is capitalism at one of its finer points actually

no matter what you do, if the time you're selling to your employer fetches a higher price somewhere else and you're qualified to work there, the system expects you to go there because taking into account job satisfaction or other factors is for scrubs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #64634 on: August 08, 2013, 06:30:51 pm »

Today was a pretty bad day. I've accomplished none of the things I set out to do; I didn't pawn off my textbooks to the textbook exchange place because they were closed by the time I was done with student services, who couldn't file my transcript because it's always someone elses' responsibility, and my transcript wont be released until I pay off my debt, which skyrocketed from the expected $30 to over $500 overnight. Which, of course, I can't afford to pay off upfront, which means I have to pay it back in smaller portions over the next few months, which means I have to take the fall semester off because I need the damn transcripts sent. Or, you know, I could just throw the last 2 years of courses out the window and start over from the beginning.

So, priority number one is to make sure I find a new job as soon as I'm moved into the new house. I might as well make some cash off this wasted time.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 4307 4308 [4309] 4310 4311 ... 8167