Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4306 4307 [4308] 4309 4310 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429205 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64605 on: August 08, 2013, 12:38:40 pm »

A man needs his toolbars, Vector! There's... Tools in them!
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64606 on: August 08, 2013, 12:39:35 pm »

I'm moving out semi-permanently in like two weeks so it's not like the functionality of my parents' computer will ever be a concern to me again.  My laptop's been going strong for six years now.

No viruses, though.  My parents know how to internet.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #64607 on: August 08, 2013, 02:19:17 pm »

I'm going to start becoming permanently extremely busy, so now I have to decide which of my not a few forum games I have to kill. I don't think I'd be able to run more than one anymore. :L

socks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64608 on: August 08, 2013, 04:10:41 pm »

Having a really good day made me sad?  ??? is that weird? I couldn't stop thinking about dying...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64609 on: August 08, 2013, 04:29:39 pm »

Somehow, I'm already suffering from this.

. . . What is wrong with me
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64610 on: August 08, 2013, 04:32:37 pm »

You're a human being, it sucks I know.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64611 on: August 08, 2013, 04:35:51 pm »

Phew, I found out that the government will take a lot of my money in taxes.  That's a relief.

Now, if I could only find a smaller room to live in for a good price... I'd like 10 x 10 or so, anything more than that is way too big.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #64612 on: August 08, 2013, 04:50:57 pm »

Somehow, I'm already suffering from this.

Huh. I kind of knew about this, but hadn't actually read up on this effect before. Interesting.

Even more interesting knowing that I'm a bit of an aberration in this. I recognize how much enjoyment I get from small pleasures in life to the point that I rarely care about going after large 'special' ones, even though I could easily afford most of them if I really wanted to.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64613 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:37 pm »

Now, if I could only find a smaller room to live in for a good price... I'd like 10 x 10 or so, anything more than that is way too big.
A truck's sleeper cabin is smaller than that! Get a truck and it's like a miniature RV that you can drive to work :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64614 on: August 08, 2013, 05:07:47 pm »

See, there are some big things I consider very value-added and satisfying.

1. Maybe owning land someday
2. Being able to afford to watch a performance once in a while
3. Being able to live or voyage abroad a couple times in my life
4. Being able to afford medical bills.
5. Being able to afford a brand-new pair of boots.

But in general... I like living with lots of roommates in a small room, I like eating on the cheap, and I'd prefer not to own all that much stuff; I'm happy buying only stuff that's on sale or used.  What I really want out of life is meaningful work and a legacy of generous habits--not charity, but legitimate generosity.  And maybe some roses for my table.

Anyway, I dunno.  I'll think of something to do.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64615 on: August 08, 2013, 05:15:23 pm »

Phew, I found out that the government will take a lot of my money in taxes.  That's a relief.

You're thinking of moving into a jail? I hear the roommates are horrible.

But on a more serious note be sure you're calculating your income tax correctly. Both your state and federal income tax use a marginal tax system, which that if you have $50,000 in income, you don't pay the full 25% on all of it, you pay 10% for the first $8,925, then 15% for the $27,326 in the $8,925 to $36,250 bracket, then 25% on the remaining $13,750.
So it'd be $8,428.9 in tax rather than $12,500 if you were paying a full 25% for all of it.

Also I believe your state income tax is deductible from your federal income tax. In addition there may be other tax deductions to make, such as getting a bit back for medical expenses and other stuff.

EDIT: Not to say I think you can't do math properly, just pointing it out in case you're suffering from ermm sticker shock but for taxes.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:24:26 pm by Pnx »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64616 on: August 08, 2013, 05:26:21 pm »

Haha, no, it wasn't sticker shock--more like relief >_> <_<

In any case if I put enough in a 401k and charity I could be able to drop a tax bracket AND give money away to save the planet.  So that would be cool.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #64617 on: August 08, 2013, 05:33:05 pm »

As the person on welfare, I feel qualified to say money does have it's benefits.*

Also, everything best in moderation. Luxury too. The problem is human nature's "Ever Upward" mentality. Staying where you are sucks, going up is hard, and going down to go back up is a temporary and hollow measure. So go up, slowly! Why not.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #64618 on: August 08, 2013, 05:34:18 pm »

Haha, no, it wasn't sticker shock--more like relief >_> <_<

In any case if I put enough in a 401k and charity I could be able to drop a tax bracket AND give money away to save the planet.  So that would be cool.

Living simply and saving up money for the really important big stuff is a good plan. After all, if you're going to own land might as well make it the best land for you that you can get, rather than settling for something you don't like as much but is all can afford.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64619 on: August 08, 2013, 05:38:56 pm »

Well I want to buy a church, and they're a couple hundred thousand. >____> On the lower side, even.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 4306 4307 [4308] 4309 4310 ... 8167