Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4280 4281 [4282] 4283 4284 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9436203 times)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64215 on: July 26, 2013, 10:59:29 pm »

I'm actually Chinese enough that it's normal for my eyes to look that way, and I never got that much crap for it.  It makes wonder if those people think "it's ok because you're not Chinese, so you won't be offended".  I most often see bigots reveal themselves when they think that they are not in the company of the the people that they are hostile toward.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64216 on: July 26, 2013, 11:55:00 pm »

It turns out anti-tank dogs were actually used in WW2. The idea of a dog running under a tank and then exploding makes me very sad.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #64217 on: July 26, 2013, 11:56:49 pm »

I'm actually Chinese enough that it's normal for my eyes to look that way, and I never got that much crap for it.  It makes wonder if those people think "it's ok because you're not Chinese, so you won't be offended".  I most often see bigots reveal themselves when they think that they are not in the company of the the people that they are hostile toward.
Very much.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #64218 on: July 27, 2013, 12:34:18 am »

It turns out anti-tank dogs were actually used in WW2. The idea of a dog running under a tank and then exploding makes me very sad.

IF it makes you feel better, they blew up their own side.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64219 on: July 27, 2013, 12:40:39 am »

Reading discussion over the last few pages in here, I am sad because I'm terrible at being rude to people.
I mean, I often avoid people I dislike, etcetera, all that sort of thing-- but when I'm actually face-to-face with them I'm always polite and courteous, even when I really, really want to tell them to piss off. :(

I think I inherited the dislike of confrontation from my dad. My mother is rude as anything, to the other extreme.
I just wish I could speak my mind from time to time. ::)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64220 on: July 27, 2013, 01:45:07 am »

It was kind of short-sighted really.
But I still find the whole mental imagery of it pretty hilarious. But it probably wasn't in reality.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64221 on: July 27, 2013, 01:51:08 am »

But I still find the whole mental imagery of it pretty hilarious. But it probably wasn't in reality.
Yeah, outside of reality the idea of a dog running under a tank as the crew yells "NO NO, BAD DOG" is pretty funny just like incendiary pigs. But then in reality there were no tank crews yelling bad dog, and it was not funny.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64222 on: July 27, 2013, 01:55:28 am »

War isn't a topic that lends itself well to humor. One of the few long running military jokes has always been the mystery meat in the ration pack. Not many people laugh at the mystery meat.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64223 on: July 27, 2013, 04:51:44 am »

Yeah, outside of reality the idea of a dog running under a tank as the crew yells "NO NO, BAD DOG" is pretty funny just like incendiary pigs. But then in reality there were no tank crews yelling bad dog, and it was not funny.
That's what happens when you train them to run under Soviet tanks - they tend to run under Soviet tanks...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 06:46:08 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64224 on: July 27, 2013, 06:27:26 am »

Meh. I still think it's hilarious. :x

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64225 on: July 27, 2013, 07:53:50 am »

Incendiary pigs were in fact an effective weapon, I might add.

I say "were" because I sincerely hope nobody has employed that tactic after 1400.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64226 on: July 27, 2013, 08:18:19 am »

Incendiary pigs were in fact an effective weapon, I might add.

I say "were" because I sincerely hope nobody has employed that tactic after 1400.
Nobody suspects incendiary pigs.

socks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64227 on: July 27, 2013, 12:25:11 pm »

Cats have been used like that by some invading armies too. Burning stuff was tied to their tails and they would try to run and hide from the fire in local barns and stuff. :(

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64228 on: July 27, 2013, 12:27:07 pm »

Didn't the US use incendiary bats in WWII versus the Japanese?

socks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64229 on: July 27, 2013, 12:29:52 pm »

They were planning on it, but I think it was cancelled and the money started going into the atom bomb project instead.
Pages: 1 ... 4280 4281 [4282] 4283 4284 ... 8167