Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4279 4280 [4281] 4282 4283 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435761 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64200 on: July 26, 2013, 06:31:42 pm »

So being rude to intrusive, ethnically paranoid people with a foot on you taking the same bus route as you and seeing where you get off, etc., is not a good idea.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64201 on: July 26, 2013, 06:35:00 pm »

Well, you wouldn't have to be rude. You could tell him not to talk to you in any sense. I just would have gone for "fuck off" since he was rude first by interrupting you.

If you're so afraid that you're letting people be socially dominant to avoid trouble, perhaps you should consider carrying a weapon.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64202 on: July 26, 2013, 06:39:49 pm »

Perhaps I'm 5'2" and 115 pounds, and a weapon outside of something improving my reach won't do that much good.

But, now I understand what you're saying.  What can I say?  I figured I'd answer his questions, pointedly ask him where he was from, and then move on with life.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64203 on: July 26, 2013, 07:04:15 pm »

Nothing rude in saying "Do you mind? I'm kinda reading here."
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64204 on: July 26, 2013, 07:06:32 pm »

That's considered rude behavior for women in the US >_> <_<

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64205 on: July 26, 2013, 07:08:47 pm »

So's being so intrusive about personal matters. He was rude (and more than a little creepy) first.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #64206 on: July 26, 2013, 07:10:58 pm »

Perhaps I'm 5'2" and 115 pounds, and a weapon outside of something improving my reach won't do that much good.
A gun, a tazer...this is America, after all.
But, now I understand what you're saying.  What can I say?  I figured I'd answer his questions, pointedly ask him where he was from, and then move on with life.
In my experience, indulging intrusive people only encourages them. Only shutting them down does any good.
Nothing rude in saying "Do you mind? I'm kinda reading here."
Agreed.
That's considered rude behavior for women in the US >_> <_<
What's rude is pretty subjective, but more to the point, why do you care? You're a self-described feminist, don't tell me you're going to start bowing to society now.

All I'm saying is that you shouldn't let people walk over you, because walk over you they will.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64207 on: July 26, 2013, 07:13:47 pm »

I know he was rude, and I would have liked to have been able to rebuff him, but I really don't think you understand the reality of the situation.

I am a feminist.  I also have a right to do what I can to keep myself safe, and being an hour away from home with no transportation except the bus that was going to arrive in half an hour, with that PUA shitbag I talked about a few weeks ago also at the same bus stop, and being racially interrogated, and half-exhausted due to lack of sleep, was not the time.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64208 on: July 26, 2013, 08:36:53 pm »

Honestly, I think this are pretty good reasons just to grit your teeth and endure it... This is typically more or less what I do whenever someone is being a dick around me.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64209 on: July 26, 2013, 09:41:20 pm »

Yes, the world needs hobbits for more than capital-H heroes.  I am not a hobbit, I cannot be a hobbit, and in a world where everything was fine and dandy with no need for production of Great Art or whatever I would probably kill myself, because I just couldn't deal.

That said, I recognize my utility is very limited.

I'm sad today because the kids were little nightmares and then I had to wait half an hour at the bus stop with someone who decided I needed to be interrogated about my ethnicity.  Here's how it went:

(I was reading)
"Are you from Israel?"
"No."
"Are you from Germany?"
"No."
"Are you from the Americas?"
"Yes."
"Are you Jewish?"
". . . No."
"You look Jewish."
"I'm not Jewish, sir."
"But you look Jewish."

*sigh*

I've had a similar occurrence on the bus before - on the very same bus route a French woman was threatened with having her breasts cut off for singing in French.
The 901 Airport - Frankston via Dandenong Bus Route in Melbourne is not one any sane person wants to catch - it's really quite dangerous. It's basically a bus route that does a tour of the worst suburbs in Melbourne before finishing at Melbourne Airport. I used to have to catch it daily - and not a day went by that I wasn't interrogated or questioned for my 'chink eyes' or for 'being a fuckin' ranga'.

"Hey, where are you from?"
"uh, I'm from Melbourne"
"But you look like a wog."
"Yeah, I'm from Melbourne."
"What suburb, mate? I'm from Hampton Park." (One of the scummiest suburbs in the state)
"err... I'm from Caulfield." (Not where I'm from. Lied to protect identity.) :P
"Oh really, so if you're from Caulfield does that mean you're a Jew?"
"Not everyone from Caulfield is a Jew."
"How come you have chink eyes?"
"My guess is as good as yours."
"How come you're a ranga if you're a Jew?"
"It's not unheard of. Also, I'm not Jewish."
"Where didja come from originally?"
"My family are Dutch."
"Ah, a clog wog. Me family are English, convicts from way back, hahaha."
"I don't think I have any convicts in my family."
"If you're a clog wog, how come you have chink eyes?"
"I don't know."

Etc, etc, etc. Thankfully, I don't catch that bus anymore.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64210 on: July 26, 2013, 09:45:33 pm »

I've never really understood why these sorts of people seem to have such a hard time not being douchebags.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64211 on: July 26, 2013, 10:11:11 pm »

I've never even heard of any of those epithets :o

Why do bigots come up with such bizarre terms?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64212 on: July 26, 2013, 10:17:17 pm »

Government brainwashing, duh!

joke aside, racism was shit for my life, growing up looking like a chinese kid in the middle of rural white-ass town, either someone's making shit about my slanted eyes or pile up the 100 retarded questions on me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64213 on: July 26, 2013, 10:26:17 pm »

So yeah, that sinology student still is with that random physics guy :/
At least she really appreciated that I sent her a case of beer while she was in China. Well, time to try and get with that Spanish chick from my semester, I guess. (She's great - Chairman Mao Poo, any hints?)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64214 on: July 26, 2013, 10:43:03 pm »

I forget the original etymology, but you can guess most of them.
Pages: 1 ... 4279 4280 [4281] 4282 4283 ... 8167