Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4275 4276 [4277] 4278 4279 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9433012 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64140 on: July 24, 2013, 03:25:11 pm »

Depends on if the laptop has an unlockable bootloader...
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64141 on: July 24, 2013, 03:25:17 pm »

What sucks is I got a whole speech about how this laptop is better, faster, and all that.

But for my purposes... NO it really isn't.

I have a feeling it cannot be sent back... Otherwise he would just go "Ohhh? Ok then"

He also says how it doesn't matter what computer I get they are all Windows 8... Well don't get me a new Laptop.

My old one will last a year or the years until Microsoft grows a brain.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:29:37 pm by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64142 on: July 24, 2013, 03:31:26 pm »

Ubuntu can inject a UEFI key along side windows 8 platforms now so its possible (you can also do the same for windows 7 as i believe the later installers have a UEFI key)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64143 on: July 24, 2013, 03:32:15 pm »

I don't know why Microsoft continuously makes worse programs with later editions but never offers the previous layouts.

It is like they are slipping to the point where they want to make things pretty but by taking out the function.

"Ohh what about something that just lays what the user wants to do infront of them?"

"NOOOO!!! Lets instead throw a bunch of crud at them so we will get app sales!"

"Well what about the more esoteric functions, should we keep them in logically accessible locations?"

"What? Like not using double space? HECK NO! we should hide it between multiple menus"

"Well, fine but the search menu still works right?"

"We are Microsoft... Of course"

"Yay!"

"Not... you didn't let me finish"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:40:31 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64144 on: July 24, 2013, 04:14:30 pm »

Family consultation has revealed I may be experiencing my first ever genuine sinus headache.
Some three hours later, and it is as if the sommelier of my pain has decided to go "BAM, let's kick this up a notch."

Also somewhat sad I cannot remember through pain haze who it was that popularized that. Something starting with an E?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64145 on: July 24, 2013, 04:18:33 pm »

Family consultation has revealed I may be experiencing my first ever genuine sinus headache.
Some three hours later, and it is as if the sommelier of my pain has decided to go "BAM, let's kick this up a notch."

Also somewhat sad I cannot remember through pain haze who it was that popularized that. Something starting with an E?
Emeril Lagasse

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #64146 on: July 24, 2013, 04:24:17 pm »

Ubuntu can inject a UEFI key along side windows 8 platforms now so its possible (you can also do the same for windows 7 as i believe the later installers have a UEFI key)
Oh, that's awesome. I have one of those small netbook laptops that are absolutely worthless, and runs like shit with Windows 8 on it. I tried installing Ubuntu on it a long time ago, but was pissed off when the bootloader was locked. That's one of the biggest dick-moves a prebuilt computer manufacturer can ever do.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64147 on: July 24, 2013, 04:27:27 pm »

Oh, that's awesome. I have one of those small netbook laptops that are absolutely worthless, and runs like shit with Windows 8 on it. I tried installing Ubuntu on it a long time ago, but was pissed off when the bootloader was locked. That's one of the biggest dick-moves a prebuilt computer manufacturer can ever do.

heh

every hp netbook i've worked with had this ridiculous scenario where you could enter bios but essentially not change anything because it asks you for the bios password directly before booting up the os and there was no authentication in the bios itself (still, you could do jack shit in there) and then the bios password has to double as the os password (if you don't have a password on your os you're fucked) and you can't remove the bios password (because you need to somehow enter the os then enter the bios from inside the os)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #64148 on: July 24, 2013, 04:48:39 pm »

*snip*
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64149 on: July 24, 2013, 09:03:45 pm »

Feel terribly run down and tired. No depressive thoughts for the moment, which is good. Popped a Berocca and felt a little better. (They're like vitamin tablets you dissolve in water.)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64150 on: July 25, 2013, 12:31:52 am »

So as some of you might know, as a follow up to a book binge, a friend and I had a bet that we must read each others favorite series. As such, I'm currently half way through the first of the Twilight books.

HAVE YOU FUCKING READ THIS SHIT? Holy crap I'm loosing faith in humanity knowing it is so popular. Seriously, I knew it would be bad, but I never knew it was so blatantly insulting to all involved. Do any girls actually think this is romantic? Really? Really? Really? Am I to understand that women like jerks who drag them by the collar and force them into their car more than guys who attempt to be friendly? Good god we really are raising a generation of domestic abuse victims.

No, I don't buy that shit. I don't know what is going on, but I'm not in on the joke... I remember high school, kind of. The female half of my year was better than this, I'm sure of it.

In related news, she has apparently finished The Colour of Magic and really enjoyed it. So there is some good coming from all this. Maybe I can instill some good taste.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64151 on: July 25, 2013, 12:32:43 am »

Yeah, I was really wondering why you thought you were getting the good end of this bet.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64152 on: July 25, 2013, 12:34:26 am »

Because there is a dinner on the line. Steaks for stakes, so to speak. Also having actually read the books grants some moral authority in future debates.

I'm still going to win.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64153 on: July 25, 2013, 12:34:38 am »

It's an alternate take on the corruption of Lucy from Dracula.

I wouldn't expect a plebe like you to understand :P
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64154 on: July 25, 2013, 12:37:07 am »

Colour of Magic? I honestly don't like early Pratchett much, if at all. Too much focus on parody and trope-bashing. However, I seriously love his work after his style matured, and he added a side of Jaded and Bitter to his Irreverent Fantastical Snarkiness.
Pages: 1 ... 4275 4276 [4277] 4278 4279 ... 8167