Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4265 4266 [4267] 4268 4269 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441795 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #63990 on: July 20, 2013, 02:08:14 am »

Ugh my friends keep giving me these great opportunities but never when I am prepared for them.

I have an impossible task before me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #63991 on: July 20, 2013, 02:15:43 am »

-snip-
I don't even know if comments are something you need or want, but that honestly seems like a pretty decent attitude. If I'm being honest, I don't think I'd be nearly as happy as I am if I didn't have problems, but I think probably for different reasons. I'm actually really bad at complaining about anything but the most superficial things, but boy do I love whining about those to anyone who'll listen. And having problems gives me something to focus on, even if I can't do anything to resolve them (although it's nicer when I have a plan of attack; lacking one just means the only happiness I'll get is from relief at the end, and anticipation of that).

-snip-
Damn. Best I can say is, it might not. Which is only slightly less helpful than saying rocks sure are pretty, because it sounds like it's on topic even though it misses the point by about the same margin.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:22:48 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63992 on: July 20, 2013, 02:21:07 am »

The statistics page states that the male to female ratio of the forum is 3.7 males for every 1 female. Apparently a lot of males are missing about a third of their bodies.
I wouldn't think that number is accurate for forum regulars, since 2/3 of registered users are escaped lunatics, most of them with 0 posts.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63993 on: July 20, 2013, 02:21:43 am »

I don't have the money for a loaf of bread. All I need is $0.99 and I can get a loaf of bread. All I have to my name right now is $0.36. At least I have ramen, oatmeal, tomato soup and tea. That should hold me until Sunday, when I get paid again.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63994 on: July 20, 2013, 02:22:33 am »

Well. Let's check the clinical symptoms:

-Lack of appetite
-Apathy
-Irritation/frustration
-Listlessness
-Over sleeping
-Low mood
-Inability to find pleasure in formerly enjoyable activities 

There is good news, of course. This little gem, "The most common time of onset is between the ages of 20 and 30 years, with a later peak between 30 and 40 years."

Oh yes. It gets WORSE.
Can't say much to this really. Dammit.

I find a wry, sick sense of hilarity to the whole thing sometimes. Like, I'll be randomly angry for no reason other than brain chemical derp, and find the whole situation absolutely HILARIOUS in a dark manner.
I just realized how good a villain I would make. Like, I need to start acting or something, because I would be an absolutely delightful villain. I'm not a psychopath, but I think in the right situations, I can and would be a total sociopath.

In the movie, Seven Psychopaths, I would be the non-psychopath guy that has his dog stolen. Most especially resonant with me is the beginning, where the fat lady that is supposed to walk his dog is begging for her life, and he says, "Well, you DID get my dog stolen..." And fires a shot. About three inches to the left of her head, and says, "I'm just fucking with you. Get the fuck out."

>Gets depressed.
>Finds solace in the fact that said depression lends to a mindset that would make self a very good evil motherfucker.
>That's-probably-not-good.jpeg
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63995 on: July 20, 2013, 02:23:58 am »

The statistics page states that the male to female ratio of the forum is 3.7 males for every 1 female. Apparently a lot of males are missing about a third of their bodies.
I wouldn't think that number is accurate for forum regulars, since 2/3 of registered users are escaped lunatics, most of them with 0 posts.
I assume a majority of escaped lunatics don't bother including their genders.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63996 on: July 20, 2013, 02:27:09 am »

In full frankness, I've been intermittently depressed since I was 7, and I've had anxiety attacks and serious self-esteem issues since I was 5.  They've become deeply engrained in my personality.

Here's a difficult truth: The idea of being stable scares me.  I don't want to be "stable."  I don't know what I would do with it.  The notion honestly doesn't make sense.

But who knows what will happen when I'm older?  I barely survived my late teens and early twenties.

-snip-
I don't even know if comments are something you need or want, but that honestly seems like a pretty decent attitude. If I'm being honest, I don't think I'd be nearly as happy as I am if I didn't have problems, but I think probably for different reasons. I'm actually really bad at complaining about anything but the most superficial things, but boy do I love whining about that to anyone who'll listen. And having problems gives me something to focus on, even if I can't do anything to resolve them (although it's nicer when I have a plan of attack; lacking one just means the only happiness I'll get is from relief at the end, and anticipation of that).

Oh, yeah.  Me too!  Outside of select situations I tend to keep a serious lid on the problems that are actually warping my personality and bending it into shape, and choose instead to constantly complain about the ridiculous schedule I give myself so I'll have something to complain about (also because I am easily bored and highly impatient with it, but seriously, I'd be miserable if I had no complaints; I don't meditate anymore because relaxing my mental barriers leads me to break into uncontrollable tears, and I'm not ready to process yet, if I ever will be.  So I need distractions).

I'm happy to share notes, haha.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63997 on: July 20, 2013, 02:28:42 am »

I am pretty sure that gender isn't required to register though, and you add it in later on your profile settings. But that could still be something like, women being more likely to set that setting.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #63998 on: July 20, 2013, 02:36:14 am »

Well. Let's check the clinical symptoms:

-Lack of appetite
-Apathy
-Irritation/frustration
-Listlessness
-Over sleeping
-Low mood
-Inability to find pleasure in formerly enjoyable activities 

There is good news, of course. This little gem, "The most common time of onset is between the ages of 20 and 30 years, with a later peak between 30 and 40 years."

Oh yes. It gets WORSE.
Can't say much to this really. Dammit.

I find a wry, sick sense of hilarity to the whole thing sometimes. Like, I'll be randomly angry for no reason other than brain chemical derp, and find the whole situation absolutely HILARIOUS in a dark manner.
I just realized how good a villain I would make. Like, I need to start acting or something, because I would be an absolutely delightful villain. I'm not a psychopath, but I think in the right situations, I can and would be a total sociopath.

In the movie, Seven Psychopaths, I would be the non-psychopath guy that has his dog stolen. Most especially resonant with me is the beginning, where the fat lady that is supposed to walk his dog is begging for her life, and he says, "Well, you DID get my dog stolen..." And fires a shot. About three inches to the left of her head, and says, "I'm just fucking with you. Get the fuck out."

>Gets depressed.
>Finds solace in the fact that said depression lends to a mindset that would make self a very good evil motherfucker.
>That's-probably-not-good.jpeg
Well, recognizing that you have potential, even as being a villain, is a good thing. After all, Christopher Lee has played more villains than anyone ever, and he's pretty awesome.
So you're basically a 'just starting to recognize inner villainy' Christopher Lee.
Isn't that a good thing?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #63999 on: July 20, 2013, 02:39:39 am »

@Vector
Huh, interesting. Stability is something I cling to with what's probably unhealthy focus. I usually feel like, if I can't weather a problem and deal with it, something must be wrong with me. And part of that means I'm not allowed to have serious issues, because it means I failed at keeping something under control. In particular, if something breaks me down so bad somebody else can tell, I really done fucked up, and I feel just incredibly guilty about it (which never helps). But even if I can keep it from showing, there's gotta be something wrong with me if I can't keep there from being something wrong with me. I mean, moreso than the tautology. Point being, there's very little I'm more afraid of than failing to keep calm and carry on.

And, yet, it seems we've got very similar coping mechanisms despite the fact that we're striving for each others' worst case (or, maybe more accurate, I'm aiming for your worst case and you're avoiding my best?).

EDIT: Okay, "very little" is an exaggeration. There's tons of things, but lots of them involve spiders or tripping and falling on something sharp.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:49:02 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64000 on: July 20, 2013, 03:44:12 am »

*Hugs Hans*
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #64001 on: July 20, 2013, 04:06:06 am »

*Hugs Hans*
+1 bro hug for Hans. Also, never before has the "I know that feel bro" meme been more relevant for use in online conversation.

Still, things could obviously be a helluva lot worse. As cliche as that is to say, it's sorta kinda somewhat a positive somehow if you don't think about it too much.

"The most common time of onset is between the ages of 20 and 30 years, with a later peak between 30 and 40 years."
This doesn't apply to everyone, it's only the most common trend. Personally I think depression is more stimuli based; if you have no reason to be depressed between "30 and 40 years" then there's no reason to expect that "peak." Worrying about the future anyway will only make the present worse and entirely more possible for you to bum yourself out worse and turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy, so don't worry about any potential future chance for shit to hit the fan because there's always a possibility for that anyway, depression or no depression.

Just keep calm and <verb> on, Hans.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #64002 on: July 20, 2013, 05:52:57 am »

I have to pave out brick roads today... and it's raining.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #64003 on: July 20, 2013, 05:54:44 am »

I have to pave out brick roads today... and it's raining.
With your hands? Feet? What with?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #64004 on: July 20, 2013, 05:57:02 am »

Dig up the ground with shovel and then place bricks down.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?
Pages: 1 ... 4265 4266 [4267] 4268 4269 ... 8167