Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4235 4236 [4237] 4238 4239 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428888 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #63540 on: July 09, 2013, 12:53:13 am »

Reading Star Wars fanfiction and Luke Skywalker is a central character.
[/firstworldproblems]
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #63541 on: July 09, 2013, 01:09:18 am »

*attempts to download vol 1 of the mahabharata onto ipod. Ipod runs out of space and fails at loading it because its all stored as pictures of the pages on the png instead of text.*

:(
It's FEF, not FEOF

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63542 on: July 09, 2013, 02:27:39 am »

You can get that from Project Gutenburg, actually.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63543 on: July 09, 2013, 08:35:44 am »

I tried reading Prequel, and gave up after the second time she passed out. I really don't understand why someone would write a story with no character development and absolutely zero net accomplishment. I thought maybe we were seeing some actual development after the whole Ayleid ruins thing, but nope! Back to square one!
Never mind that all of the player suggestions are practically screaming at the character not to do something. Nah, let's just railroad the story back into depression-town.
Listen, I get that that's how depression works in real life. I've been there. I'm still struggling with it. But it doesn't make for a compelling story when your character learns absolutely nothing and, as a result, never develops as a character. It also doesn't make for a fun game when the character completely ignores almost every action given to her.
I mean, it's fine to write a character with a depressing life, but if you go out of your way to keep making the character's life miserable, instead of letting it get even a little better over time, it stops being a story and becomes a sadist power fantasy.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #63544 on: July 09, 2013, 08:37:59 am »

Amen to that. Prequel is just a really depressing exercise in what it's like to be allergic to luck, and as a GM it's really fucking annoying that he relies totally on railroading to have a plot instead of letting the players decide for themselves where the plot goes. The worst thing is, it fails to even have a plot because no-one gets anywhere. It's ridiculous.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63545 on: July 09, 2013, 08:38:24 am »

I tried reading Prequel, and gave up after the second time she passed out. I really don't understand why someone would write a story with no character development and absolutely zero net accomplishment. I thought maybe we were seeing some actual development after the whole Ayleid ruins thing, but nope! Back to square one!
Never mind that all of the player suggestions are practically screaming at the character not to do something. Nah, let's just railroad the story back into depression-town.
Listen, I get that that's how depression works in real life. I've been there. I'm still struggling with it. But it doesn't make for a compelling story when your character learns absolutely nothing and, as a result, never develops as a character. It also doesn't make for a fun game when the character completely ignores almost every action given to her.
I mean, it's fine to write a character with a depressing life, but if you go out of your way to keep making the character's life miserable, instead of letting it get even a little better over time, it stops being a story and becomes a sadist power fantasy.
Agreed with everything, but the bolded part especially. I swear the creator is taking a sick sort of pleasure from making things as miserable as possible for the main character.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63546 on: July 09, 2013, 08:39:38 am »

The sad thing is, Prequel has good art, a good character, and good dialouge. It could be so much better if the creator didn't have this weird "Let's make everything as miserable as possible then make sure the players cannot do one fucking thing about it".

... Okay, if you played my RPs, I'm guilty of that too. But at least you can do stuff.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63547 on: July 09, 2013, 10:30:47 am »

Although, it is very good at making you feel crappy, which I appreciate it for. He evokes that sense of OH GOD WHY NO STOP IT very well.

Speaking of which... Lab might not be hiring me on until Fall. Which means suddenly no income. Which means suddenly no house probably. I emailed the lab to see if there's any way to squeeze me in, but I doubt it. Deciding whether to pack my things now, or wait for the confirmation Email.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:33:23 am by Solifuge »

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63548 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:20 am »

Living with my parents. Mom has decided we're moving Friday: this Friday. 3 days notice or less.... Thankfully we're only moving about a 1/2 hour away, but still.... I have work to do. Mom took off work for a week for this. She had notice of this and didn't give me any. This is crazy. People being thrown out of apartments get more notice than this.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #63549 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:57 am »

I don't understand those statements at all. Prequel's story has just started. What kind of character development do you except to happen immediately? Provided that any (positive, I guess I should say, since trying and failing is definitely character development in it's own) development actually happens later, having established what a steep hill she is trying to climb up will just make the development all the more powerful.

I won't argue about it moving forward really god damn slowly, though. But thanks for reminding me to check up on it again ;)

Living with my parents. Mom has decided we're moving Friday: this Friday. 3 days notice or less.... Thankfully we're only moving about a 1/2 hour away, but still.... I have work to do. Mom took off work for a week for this. She had notice of this and didn't give me any. This is crazy. People being thrown out of apartments get more notice than this.

That's pretty shitty indeed.
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #63550 on: July 09, 2013, 11:26:00 am »

Some development has happened, actually. She's made a little bit of progress lately, starting at around the church incident. But, yeah, it does move pretty slowly, I can't argue with that.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63551 on: July 09, 2013, 11:29:08 am »

See, the problem is that when you think Katia's making some progress, it gets cut down to nothing after a while. I know that ties into the depression metaphor and all, but books and films are better suited for talking about depression rather then MSPAs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63552 on: July 09, 2013, 11:58:26 am »

The sad thing is, Prequel has good art, a good character, and good dialouge. It could be so much better if the creator didn't have this weird "Let's make everything as miserable as possible then make sure the players cannot do one fucking thing about it".

... Okay, if you played my RPs, I'm guilty of that too. But at least you can do stuff.
Actually a lot of the times the suggestions are largely for the bad idea. Then people complain when it goes wrong.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63553 on: July 09, 2013, 12:00:06 pm »

... Okay, now I'm more annoyed at the suggesters then the guy behind Prequel now.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63554 on: July 09, 2013, 12:01:46 pm »

I think a notable example was the Sigrid bit.
The majority of suggestions were all for going along with what she said. Then complained that Kaz was "selecting the worst suggestions" when it all went wrong. Avoiding responsibility in a nutshell.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 4235 4236 [4237] 4238 4239 ... 8167