Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4198 4199 [4200] 4201 4202 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435838 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #62985 on: June 18, 2013, 01:58:22 am »

I'm pretty sure facial expressions are genetic, on the basis that people who were born blind have the same expressions as everybody else.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62986 on: June 18, 2013, 02:02:31 am »

I'm pretty sure they're innate, but the extent of that innateness varies greatly.

Ninja'd!

There's also the fact that they're mostly the same globally and throughout history, including people or cultures that have developed in severe isolation.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:04:59 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62987 on: June 18, 2013, 02:09:55 am »

I don't remember when I learned what a smile/frown/etc. was, but I don't pick up subtle emotional cues in faces very well, even today. I've attributed my lack of innate emotional brain-smarts to depression, but maybe it's spectrum related? Who knows.

P.S. While on the subject of facial expressions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:11:29 am by Solifuge »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62988 on: June 18, 2013, 03:18:36 am »

My laptop backlight has been turning off sporadically for about a week (getting more and more frequent), after a bit of sluething, I figured out that the problem was probably a bad inverter or CCFL lamp. After taking the laptop apart to ensure that I was going to order the right pieces, I discovered that my model is a plain LED screen (without either inverter or CCFL lamps), which means that I am probably going to have to spend about 70 dollars instead of 10-20.
And I'm not quite sure what the problem is specifically anymore, which makes me a bit sad too.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62989 on: June 18, 2013, 04:19:16 am »

I do facial expressions consciously... part of why I think they get exaggerated a lot.

Well you always could learn a neutral face. Which for conversations is sort of like a hungry face. Like you want to eat their words.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #62990 on: June 18, 2013, 05:00:09 am »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62991 on: June 18, 2013, 05:42:41 am »

I mostly get along with the other folks at school. Nice guys and girls, for the most part.

Sad part comes in when you take into account that just about all of them are overwhelmingly conservative (just heard one guy say that Mitt Romney was "too liberal" for him) and love to discuss politics and conspiracy theories. I mostly just shut up and stay out of these conversations.

Now that I think about it, its disturbingly similar to politics discussions here on Bay 12, though on the other end of the spectrum.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:50:30 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62992 on: June 18, 2013, 06:11:58 am »

I was talking about the political spectrum. So you're half right :P

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62993 on: June 18, 2013, 06:21:56 am »

I was talking about the political spectrum. So you're half right :P
I thought it was left.
HAHAHAHA SO CONFUSING.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62994 on: June 18, 2013, 06:26:42 am »

I mostly get along with the other folks at school. Nice guys and girls, for the most part.

Sad part comes in when you take into account that just about all of them are overwhelmingly conservative (just heard one guy say that Mitt Romney was "too liberal" for him) and love to discuss politics and conspiracy theories. I mostly just shut up and stay out of these conversations.

Now that I think about it, its disturbingly similar to politics discussions here on Bay 12, though on the other end of the spectrum.
What the hell? Why wouldn't you join in?
Some of the best conversations I've had have been with banana creationists, fundamentalist zionists, Russian capitalists, people so far left and right you'd think one of their legs are missing, ambiguously Canadian Canadians, angry raging feminists, not-Christians who are Christians, angry-raging mathematicians, builders with beers in hand e.t.c.
You're really shooting yourself in the foot here if you're just going to sit out and isolate yourself 'because my political spectrum means fuck you guys, I'm going home.' Politics AND conspiracy theories? You're missing out.

Oh yeah, and the list does not include anyone from Bay12. Disclaimer.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62995 on: June 18, 2013, 06:31:15 am »

I rarely talk about politics with people on own "side". It depresses me. Besides, I have more important things to do than try to convince a dozen potential Tea Party members that Obama isn't actually going to try to take all their guns away.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62996 on: June 18, 2013, 06:36:25 am »

Until he does and then forced the US under martial law and implants tracking chips into people! Also he wasn't born in the US and is secretly a commie atheist terrorist who devours freedom and supports killing innocent children in the womb.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62997 on: June 18, 2013, 06:38:47 am »

I rarely talk about politics with people on own "side". It depresses me. Besides, I have more important things to do than try to convince a dozen potential Tea Party members that Obama isn't actually going to try to take all their guns away.
This is what I think is nearly the greatest failure about the American political system; the way it consumes its individuals, makes them into 'sides.' These 'sides' are so much more easily manipulated than individuals, and have the added benefit of ensuring that everyone is divided on petty issues to such great an extent that they even refuse to talk to each other.

Until he does and then forced the US under martial law and implants tracking chips into people! Also he wasn't born in the US and is secretly a commie atheist terrorist who devours freedom and supports killing innocent children in the womb.
And when you make fun of each other it doesn't sound like banter, it literally sounds like both sides demonizing each other. Kills comedy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62998 on: June 18, 2013, 06:43:11 am »

Apparently, I have a minor case of tendonitis in my hip.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62999 on: June 18, 2013, 06:44:10 am »

Sometimes I feel that people just don't enjoy hyperbole as much as I do.
Pages: 1 ... 4198 4199 [4200] 4201 4202 ... 8167