Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4195 4196 [4197] 4198 4199 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9431652 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #62940 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:32 am »

Some time ago I was appointed another client who evidently lives in a god damn tent and walks to her newly aquired temp job sorting parts.... I can't imagine why she's had a hard time now meeting the diversion program requirements that cost money, but not the community service aspect.... Homelessness is a thing, and people think it is not. I just can't imagine why she was shoplifting....

See, myself, the parole officer, and the judge (only because she used to be a defense attorney) get it. The rest of the salaried, benefits enjoying people working at the court do not, especially the clerk, who is older, judgmental and does not talk to people as part of her job. Their lives are provided for and they don't have to really deal with it beyond paperwork and a process.... They have the luxury of watching what passes for news but is actually brainwashing and the thing that keeps Walter Kronkite purpetually spinning in his grave... (all U.S. channels and programming, by the way). Meanwhile, this girl doesn't own so much as a phone and is said to be leeching off society....

Yes, there are sorry little ingrates who abuse the system, I've seen and represented them. They are not at all the entirity of the system and the easy-to-apply blanket lables people throw around are far from accurate, and applied by your average person, who per usual has never had to deal with reality....

Meanwhile we're still technically the richest country in the world (until China gets above us in maybe 10 years) but we have this.... Spending money on maintaining civilization, do it and stuff gets done; dont' do it and stuff does not. Simple. The natural state of things is not a superpower, and if people will not pay for it, then the natural state of things will come again....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62941 on: June 17, 2013, 11:38:03 am »

Y'know... you might have some luck with some of those culture comparison psych study... thingies. They've done stuff where they compare facial expressions across cultures to look for similarities, and you might be able to get like a... list. With comparison notes between different examples and a general indication of what they're supposed to indicate.

Yeah, I was thinking mostly about... this.  Heard about it about four years ago, never had the time or interest in it.

I can read "pure" expressions (the basic six) if I work at it, but actual people making actual facial expressions are usually beyond me.

Oh well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62942 on: June 17, 2013, 02:44:56 pm »

The way I see the whole "Honesty thing", is if someone doesn't respect me enough to be honest, why should I respect them enough to give two shits? :3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62943 on: June 17, 2013, 03:00:26 pm »

<snip>
I still think you may be overestimating people's ability to read facial expressions. It's also seriously not that big of a deal.

Anyway, my sads for the day come from being kept up until late in the night due to a bad migraine, and the hour and a half of dentistry I just went through.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62944 on: June 17, 2013, 03:06:37 pm »

Its a big deal to me because I consistently read situations incorrectly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62945 on: June 17, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »

Its a big deal to me because I consistently read situations incorrectly.
I'd be kind of like to hear some examples, if it's not too prising of me to ask.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62946 on: June 17, 2013, 03:16:00 pm »

Sad today: Reading this discussion and realizing I have absolutely no idea whether I can read facial expressions or not. AS, so supposedly not, but I've managed to so successfully avoid any daily situations where judging someone else's mood from their face and body language is relevant information, I'm not sure I have any data one way or the other.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62947 on: June 17, 2013, 03:20:42 pm »

Let's see... how about never being able to tell if people are mad at me or at all interested in what I'm saying?  I constantly think people are mad when they aren't.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62948 on: June 17, 2013, 03:33:39 pm »

I have a tendency to not look at faces at all (probably makes me slightly awkward to talk to), so I usually read emotions from tone of voice and word choice.

Your inability to read emotion probably extends beyond facial recognition so I doubt that helps any :(

My sad: I have a weakness. I cannot tell people to stop talking to me or to go away unless I'm forced to. This usually isn't a big deal in real life, since the number of situations where I'm not forced to tell them something is small, but on the internet it can be a moderately big deal.

Sometimes I just stop reading and replying to private messages. The other person has no idea they might've done something wrong or offended me in any way; they're just left hanging. I, for some reason, cannot summon the courage to give them the simple courtesy of telling them what's up. Even if they're a total asshole they deserve to be told that they're an asshole, not just ignored and left to figure things out on their own.

I really feel I'd be more respectful to someone by telling them to fuck off than I would be by not saying anything at all. I don't do this because of ire toward them or anything; I do it because I'm afraid of confronting them on it. I'm a coward in this very specific circumstance and it's caused problems recently.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62949 on: June 17, 2013, 03:34:30 pm »

Let's see... how about never being able to tell if people are mad at me or at all interested in what I'm saying?  I constantly think people are mad when they aren't.
I'm pretty sure everyone has that issue.

No offence intended, but that sort of sounds more like paranoid insecurity. I say this because I suffer from paranoid insecurity at times myself.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62950 on: June 17, 2013, 03:35:48 pm »

Vector's autistic and one of the defining traits of autism is inability to read facial expressions, so I really doubt she's being paranoid.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62951 on: June 17, 2013, 03:44:03 pm »

I really feel I'd be more respectful to someone by telling them to fuck off than I would be by not saying anything at all. I don't do this because of ire toward them or anything; I do it because I'm afraid of confronting them on it. I'm a coward in this very specific circumstance and it's caused problems recently.
I know I ended up very angry at you for quite a while when you did something like this, and it still makes me upset thinking about it. It really is a terrible and frustrating thing to do to people, and doesn't really seem to work out well for you either often, or so it seems. :/
I know you're a good person, usually, but you do often seemed so scared of potential conflict that you end up hurting people who don't deserve it.

I'd much rather get punched in the face than have someone do this to me - it hurts a hell of a lot less.

Also, writing this post made me realize a lot of those bad vibes are still lingering. I'm gonna have to clear those out sooner or later. I really thought I'd completely gotten over it. >_>

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62952 on: June 17, 2013, 03:47:46 pm »

Vector's autistic and one of the defining traits of autism is inability to read facial expressions, so I really doubt she's being paranoid.
Yes, I'm aware of that Kaijyuu, I'm autistic too, I'm also aware that there's a certain syndrome some ASD people suffer from where they associate issues they have as being issues they have because they're ASD. I've had issues with this, as have people I've known AFK.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #62953 on: June 17, 2013, 03:55:19 pm »

One of the things I miss about the old MSN days was the ability to just go "Gotta go, cya!" and block them. As far as they knew you'd gone offline :) If they ever found out, most people understood if you say "I ran out of things to say and figured it was easier to just block you than leave the chat hanging awkwardly".

If only that worked in real life...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:57:59 pm by MorleyDev »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62954 on: June 17, 2013, 04:00:19 pm »

* GlyphGryph twitches with barely concealed rage.

Gah I hated people like you. So terrible. You bastard! :P

Also, that never worked for me, I was using multi-account aggregators with shared contact lists even from the early days, meaning I could see that you'd gone offline... for one, and only one, of my screen names. :P
Pages: 1 ... 4195 4196 [4197] 4198 4199 ... 8167