Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4165 4166 [4167] 4168 4169 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441664 times)

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #62490 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:49 pm »

Maybe try and reply right now? Far too late for that specific job, but last I checked, Mojang is still expanding.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62491 on: June 05, 2013, 11:35:23 pm »

Look at it this way.  You've just seen proof that your work is good enough to create great opportunities.  There's no reason it can't happen again, if you just keep at it.  Not saying that to be Mr Optimism.  Being completely serious.

That said, I have to admit, I would probably feel crushed for at least a couple hours after finding something like that.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #62492 on: June 05, 2013, 11:39:13 pm »

Note to self: help out more indie developers.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #62493 on: June 05, 2013, 11:40:11 pm »

Yea. There was a time when I missed an email about contributing to a not entirely insignificant OGL wild west d20 game, of course it didn't take off anywhere near as much as mincraft did.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #62494 on: June 06, 2013, 12:35:15 am »

So, I was going through old emails, looking for old Pixel Art jobs for a potential new client of mine. While doing this, I came across something I'd apparently missed in my Inbox. This is why it's important to check your emails, kids:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Past self? Fuck you. Just fuck you, forever.
Mojang is working on that 0x10c project, it wouldn't hurt to respond now, right? And Minecraft I'm pretty sure is still getting various updates and stuff, though I haven't checked it in a while.

Respond anyway. dew eet.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62495 on: June 06, 2013, 12:45:07 am »

So, I was going through old emails, looking for old Pixel Art jobs for a potential new client of mine. While doing this, I came across something I'd apparently missed in my Inbox. This is why it's important to check your emails, kids:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Past self? Fuck you. Just fuck you, forever.
Look at it this way.  You've just seen proof that your work is good enough to create great opportunities.  There's no reason it can't happen again, if you just keep at it.  Not saying that to be Mr Optimism.  Being completely serious.

That said, I have to admit, I would probably feel crushed for at least a couple hours after finding something like that.

I will probably be able to appreciate your optimism in a day or two. But right now I'm sort of losing it. Or I would be, if I wasn't completely dissociating myself from whatever emotions I would be experiencing right now. Because I am apparently the most spectacular failure of them all.

Fuck, dude... I look back on how crap the last 4 years have been. How I've lost a close friend, and strained my relationship with my parents over financial crap. How I've been sleeping on a bare floor for close to 2 years now because my hand-me-down futon was destroyed by mold. How I eat one meal a day, made from bulk dry ingredients like beans and rice, because that's what's in my budget. How I spent several winter nights huddled under a pile of coats, in an ice-covered car in a parking lot, because I couldn't afford to waste gas driving home and back to work until my next paycheck hit. How my license was suspended because I couldn't afford to pay off the ticket I got at a speed trap, for going 3 MPH over the speed limit on my way to a job interview (which consequently cost me the interview). How I had to keep driving illegally to work, on my suspended license, until I could finally afford to take care of it. How I was barred from renewing my apartment lease because my income kept dropping, and how twice I was put out on the street with about a week's notice. How I was homeless for a while, until I caved and asked my father if I could stay with him, because it beat starving and freezing.

Of course it's all my fault. I've made my bed, and I am prepared to lie in it. But to know that what was literally the opportunity of a lifetime... something I would have loved, and which could have launched my career doing game art, maybe even game design with Mojang, was sitting right there. Right there. It came to me on a damned silver platter... and I just up and blew the whole damned thing. I don't want to believe it. But there it is.

So yeah. Crushed is sort of like the thing I would be feeling right now if I were allowing myself to feel anything. Which I won't be doing for a while yet, because that way lies madness. Lack of coherent sentences madness. Punch things and sob madness. Rip out hair, and grind my teeth into a fine powder madness. That kind of bullshit. And I don't have time for bullshit. I've got to go pick up a job flipping burgers or something, because nearly every art gig I've had lately has disappeared, not gotten back to me, or wound up being some small fraction of minimum wage, for days of work. And judging by my job hunt around town this afternoon, no bullshit hourly jobs appear to be hiring this summer, at least in my state. And though I probably have at least an Associate's, if not a Bachelor's in education and experience, no lab is going to hire me on until I finish my degree. A degree I can't afford, because I can't find work. And I'm looking at homelessness again next month unless something changes.

Good job, me. Gold star.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:52:15 am by Solifuge »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #62496 on: June 06, 2013, 01:12:45 am »

The opportunity is still there. See if you can get in contact right now.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #62497 on: June 06, 2013, 01:13:42 am »

I say go ahead and contact him, Soli. It's possible that Mojang has spots for spriters even now, since Notch obviously isn't going to end his career with a single game, and the fact that he considered you before says that he'll at least consider.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62498 on: June 06, 2013, 01:15:33 am »

Yeah, I also say go for it... after you've picked up your composure a bit first, of course.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #62499 on: June 06, 2013, 01:43:41 am »

Don't worry about it, man. Think of other stuff. Like boobs. Think of boobs. How can you be upset when boobs!?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 01:48:10 am by MrWillsauce »

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62500 on: June 06, 2013, 01:45:28 am »

Go for it, but don't get your hopes up so as not to be too harshly saddened if denied.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62501 on: June 06, 2013, 01:50:30 am »

Go for it, but don't get your hopes up so as not to be too harshly saddened if denied.

Getting the position you were offered now is unrealistic, but other things may happen.  Just having an in to knowing the guy a little bit is useful.  He may have good advice or other leads for you.  You should honestly never pass up an opportunity to get to know someone who is noteworthy in the career of your choosing.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62502 on: June 06, 2013, 01:52:27 am »

* Euld hugs Solifuge

I can only imagine the sheer amount of rage you must be feeling right now :/  Please don't do anything you'll regret or break anything important to you.  I think you've earned a bit of "scream time," by all means use it.  But remember to pick yourself back up when you're done.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #62503 on: June 06, 2013, 01:57:09 am »

Send him a response. Worst case scenario, you get closure on the whole matter. And as SalmonGod said, even if he doesn't have an available position, he may have influence with someone who does. He thought highly enough of you to approach you about his project; being passed on to one of his contacts is a distinct possibility.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62504 on: June 06, 2013, 06:15:10 am »

So Resident Evil Mercenaries for the 3ds is fun. There's a few points of contention though, like...

Alright, I've been playing Nintendo since I was just a WEEE lad, but, if before I bought the 3ds, you asked me what the positions of the lettered buttons were on it, I would have told you:

y
x     b
   a

with complete certainty in my correctness. Apparently my child self never bothered to actually look at the controller because it's actually:

x
y    a
   b

and in my childhood this arrangement of letters never bothered me cause I learned the controls of all my favorite games by heart, without having to be told "A does this, and B does that" and so somewhere along the line my version of the controller became the truth in my mind.

Now, when a dude in RE Mercenaries grabs you, to avoid getting bitten you have to push a random button of those four, sometimes in a sequence. When it first asked me to press Y to get out of the grapple, it was actually maybe five failed attempts before I realized that Y is not at the top! and A is not at the bottom! That runs so deeply against everything I've taught myself as a child that, whenever I get grabbed, my HUNDREDS OF HOURS of careful practice and studying of Mercenaries in it's previous iterations is rendered useless! I'm reduced to a child again, forced to stare blank-eyed and confused at the letter pad trying to grasp where X and Y are, why A and B are in such conflicting positions, trying again and again to grasp whose intuition this was meant to mold to!

I mean, in RE Mercs 4 and 5, you only ever had to mash buttons in order to get out a grapple, which was exhilarating and exciting, it fit in with the pacing of the experience just fine. But this... Having to physically stop the adrenaline rushing experience so I can play Brain Age for three seconds (an eternity in Merc time) is such a horrid mood whiplash it almost renders me physically sick. This feeling is akin to having to re-break an arm that has set and healed in the wrong way...

and I'm experiencing my first regret over having chosen to purchase a 3DS XL over a normal sized one. RE Mercs is a game that requires split second decision making skills, but my hands have simply such a terrible time trying to properly grasp this huge handheld! When I need to do two or three actions actions in the span of a second it's a pain to my fingers to have to contort them over this gargantuan gaming system... It's possible to move whilst aiming, but with how I need to hold the 3DS I'd never know that, my hand simply can't do the necessary action to do that.

And for some reason the knife has been removed as a backup weapon and moved to a primary slot, but only for a few select characters? and while it's arguably more powerful now, it seems that it has an unreasonably small hitbox tied to it now.

And while I can't use glitchy exploits anymore like using invincibility frames to change weapons and reload them with impunity, I'm not too bothered by that. What I AM bothered by is that it would seem that the breadth of melees has been cut down, however slightly. Now it's not possible to headshot guys and run behind them for a necksnapping move, which is nothing less than disappointing!

Then there's a few design choices I'm not in complete agreement with, like how the inventory system is so streamlined. Managing your inventory in the heat of battle was quite possibly the only redeeming feature of RE 5's 3x3 box inventory system; it added another layer of depth and strategy to what was at first glance a simplistic game, in my opinion. Doing away with that in the handheld version is questionable in my eyes, especially since it's not streamlined enough that I still need to contort my hand over the screen and physically tap the grenade button in order to use them, there's no other alternative.

As an example, in RE 5 it was a legitimate strategy to discard guns you didn't like, so that ammo for them wouldn't spawn anymore. This added a great deal of playability and practice time in it's own right, and now that I'm forced to hold onto every weapon that my character walks into the mission with, I feel just a tad resentful.

And while I can appreciate unlockables, the presence of a rather large amount of them, hand-in-hand with leveling skills, I feel is attempting to add an element of grinding to prolong it's playability. That's just something I feel takes away from it's original charm, where in RE 4 and 5 you could approach Mercs and you'd be given a simple premise and goal along with the tools to complete them, and every victory and failure was resultant of your skill in hand and nothing else. Not how much time you put into leveling your materia-style skills, which does nothing but throw your own competency into question as far as I'm concerned.

Then there's just a few hiccups with the menu GUI that just grind my gears slightly, like how when the game autosaves, I'm always expecting it to just save real fast and then hurry me along to where I want to go. But no, it wants to press a button to advance past the saving screen, which is just jarring. Then there's how there's a linear mission structure that doesn't seem ordered in any meaningful way. I'm just so used to simply having all the stages presented to me, and I pick one, and that's that; but this just feels off...

And while it's a minor gripe, and while it may simply be me, it would seem that the level of aggressiveness that enemies show is very variable depending on which 'mission' you're on, which is bothersome when you're trained to expect enemies to act in a certain way, and then they either act way dumber or WAY WAY more aggressive. When a cultist lunges to grab me, it's like he's moving in benny hill fast motion! I'm not saying that's unfair, since I go into this game expecting to get my ass beaten a couple times, it's just kind of off-putting; especially when in the previous stage enemies would either get caught on corners trying to path to me or just stand around and wait for me to kill them.

I'm gonna play a bit more, I'm enjoying myself so far for what it's worth, but these are simply the issues I'm experiencing so far.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:19:27 pm by JoshuaFH »
Pages: 1 ... 4165 4166 [4167] 4168 4169 ... 8167