Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4153 4154 [4155] 4156 4157 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9449359 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #62310 on: May 27, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »

Don't you use anaesthesia for that?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62311 on: May 27, 2013, 01:11:57 pm »

I don't know why, but conventional anesthesia does not work on marrow removal. There's a reason marrow donation is switching over to the stem cell method as quickly as possible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #62312 on: May 27, 2013, 01:13:33 pm »

lidocain. It's rare to use anything more.
And it has two problems
 1: when applied correctly, it numbs the skin, subcutaneous tissue, and muscle, around the site of injection. It's not very effective at numbing the periostium

2: if you are fat it's hard to apply it correctly (if any of you wanted a reason to lose weight here's one: in the odd event of needing one of those, you want the anesthetics to be as effective as possible.

I don't know why, but conventional anesthesia does not work on marrow removal. There's a reason marrow donation is switching over to the stem cell method as quickly as possible.
Also the marrow extraction method is more debilitating in general (1L!) and has greater risks for the donor. Not that apheresis is pleasant at all but it's miles less unpleasant.

Of course, there's a caveat: apheresis is all nice and good for regular blood stem cells, but if you want mesenchymals you need to go to the marrow. The good news is that mesenchymal stem cells are regarded as immunopriviledged, so pretty much anyone's will do.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:18:36 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62313 on: May 27, 2013, 01:15:49 pm »

Yeah, I can see how local anaesthesia wouldn't work. But I wouldn't let anyone near my bone marrow without a general anaesthesia. Yeah, I know that general anaesthesia is always dangerous, but I'd rather risk death than go through what must be some of the worst pain known to man.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62314 on: May 27, 2013, 01:16:55 pm »

I don't think you get a choice. Anesthesiologists don't tend to be the compromising sort.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62315 on: May 27, 2013, 01:17:33 pm »

Yeah, I think I'll just go ahead and die rather than take that test.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #62316 on: May 27, 2013, 01:21:27 pm »

I think a compromise of some sort could be reached. It's not unknown to see this shit performed with some sort of minor sedation.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62317 on: May 27, 2013, 01:24:16 pm »

Just out of curiosity, how do bones compare to teeth when it comes to pain? For some reason I'm convinced they're much worse.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62318 on: May 27, 2013, 01:30:13 pm »

There is a giant nerve bundle inside each of your teeth, powerful enough to detect minute changes in temperature through the enamel. It's worse.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62319 on: May 27, 2013, 03:53:16 pm »

Owowowowowow.

Chemical burns are no longer FTW, chemical burns fucking suck.

Everyhting hurts to touch.  :'(
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62320 on: May 28, 2013, 02:12:06 am »

After a beautiful and sunny day yesterday we're back on the "RAIN RAIN RAIN ALL DAY MOTHERFUCKER" part of the spring weather. And it's killing every desire to leave the house :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #62321 on: May 28, 2013, 06:18:23 am »

Totes trade with you. "Rain rain rain all day motherfucker" makes me want to go for a walk. Don't really like driving in it, but eh.

Because if it's raining that means the sun is probably hiding and it might be a little cooler. Joy of joys, a temporary reprieve.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62322 on: May 28, 2013, 12:14:02 pm »

Feeling like my life presents a useless and terrible burden on those close to me, and on society in general. Feel like I consume, without producing adequately in return. I look at the things I'm proudest of having done, and how pointless and empty and hedonistic they seem at their core. I look forward at what I might yet do, and I see more of the same uselessness.

I know I'm not an untalented person... I'm pretty okay at a lot of things. But what good does that do? I look outward at the world's problems, and I can't see myself making a meaningful impact on them. I don't think I can even make a positive impact on the lives of individuals, at least in any meaningful way. I look inward, and think about what it takes to sustain me; the energies I've stolen from animals and plants to sustain myself, the financial and emotional support I've required from parents and friends through my life. All that, to support me. But why? What do I offer them, in return for their investment? What do I represent, if not a parasite?

I know that this is most likely the ash-tinted lenses of depression talking, but there are times I'd like very much to unexist. I know that's impossible, and that the only way I could realistically pursue unexistance would be by further distancing myself from everyone who knows of me, before doing something... but I know that to do so would be hurtful to those who care about me, and disrespectful to all that the world has invested in me so far. But sometimes, it feels like the practical and just thing to do. To stop the energy sink I represent now, lest it become an even bigger one in the days and years to come.

I feel like I'm not worthy to live the life I've been given... that there are driven and capable and not fucked-up folks out there who could make far better use of what I have. But instead, I'm the one standing here, with my anxieties and weaknesses and self-doubt and general uselessness. And I don't know how to change these things. And when I think about it, I'm not sure I even want to... like there's a not insubstantial part of me that wants myself to fail, and suffer alone in so doing, for being so vacuous a thing.

PPE: Depressed self, can you go the fuck away? I kinda hate being you.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 12:18:22 pm by Solifuge »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62323 on: May 28, 2013, 12:27:47 pm »

I feel that way a lot... *hugs*

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #62324 on: May 28, 2013, 12:32:01 pm »

I feel that way a lot... *hugs*
Same here.. >_>

PPE: Depressed self, can you go the fuck away? I kinda hate being you.
This too, but at least we learn what seems to be the problem before shooing them off.

Shoo, sad self! Don't blind me. :I
Pages: 1 ... 4153 4154 [4155] 4156 4157 ... 8167