Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4131 4132 [4133] 4134 4135 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459490 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #61980 on: May 17, 2013, 09:35:12 pm »

What surgery are you getting?
Is it a brain transplant? Oh god don't do it! I knew a guy who got one and he was never the same man.
Ha. No brain transplant for me, although I could use a USB to add some storage space up there.

Lumbar spinal fusion. A bunch of my lumbar vertebrae are, as quoted by a spinal expert in the area, "completely fucked up." He recommended that I wait on the surgery, but it'll probably have to be done before age 35, because I like walking and stuff like that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #61981 on: May 17, 2013, 09:38:25 pm »

I feel like everybody's parent and it sucks: responsibility.

I have felony clients who I manage to have awesome deals for. Take a course with drug treatment and the case is wiped off your record. (not always available and is often hard to get).

They don't take the damn course, or don't finish it, or in some cases, even bloody bother to show up. I have one of these guys right now who won't return my calls, etc.

I never really got to be a kid, for numerous reasons that I didn't even like getting into with a string of horrified therapists, so I won't here. I kinda come across as an ass sometimes in large part because of this.

I feel like I don't "get it" when people talk about stuff like this, or indeed when people do much of anything.

In other news, I've been asked to be a godparent for a friend's child. Problem. This is one of those very conservative catholic churches. They won't let people who have been divorced be godparents, but oddly they would let people who have had an annulment (cause then the marriage never happened). Strangely they've put that insistence to people who have had kids while married but who are now separated and the priests got into a fight over whether or not that made the kids "bastards" (born out of wedlock because the marriage, being annulled, never happened). That's just to illustrate the point of how these people are....

So being GLBT.... You can imagine they do not take kindly to that and I thankfully haven't set off their gaydar or anything. I need to decline this politely. I thought the fact that I am NOT a practicing catholic and haven't been for a great many years would do the trick but no....

I'll help the kid and his mom out a bit where that's practical, but no.... I really don't want anything to do with the whole church thing and haven't for some time. They keep asking for a reason and it seems my polite declining isn't satisfying them. O, I could easily be rude to them, which they're being a little bit to me, but meh....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61982 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:38 pm »

"how these people are"

Well, thank you very much for the demeaning generalization. You do realize that that very topic is a huge controversy within the Church itself, with many priests allowing divorces instead of annulments? The problem really isn't the attitude, it's just that the upper echelons of the Church are slow.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61983 on: May 17, 2013, 10:00:17 pm »

"how these people are"

Well, thank you very much for the demeaning generalization. You do realize that that very topic is a huge controversy within the Church itself, with many priests allowing divorces instead of annulments? The problem really isn't the attitude, it's just that the upper echelons of the Church are slow.
If I read that correctly, that wasn't a knock on Catholics, it was that particular family. Easy, killer.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61984 on: May 17, 2013, 10:03:42 pm »

Yes, yes, we get it. Any time someone mentions anything about Christians, they automatically mean every single Christian ever. We all hate each other, and never mean the select group of people we talk about specifically.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61985 on: May 17, 2013, 10:19:26 pm »

"how these people are"

If I read that correctly, that wasn't a knock on Catholics, it was that particular family. Easy, killer.
Yeah, I read it a couple of times, it's definitely only directed toward that one particular area's group at most by way of the language used.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61986 on: May 17, 2013, 10:24:29 pm »

I wouldn't hold it against someone if they dislike an organization that has heavily victimized them anyway.  I mean do you really want to get into the subject of demeaning generalizations with an LGBT person in a religious context?

Not trying to spin anything Truean has said one way or another, but I think there's a bit of perspective lacking here.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:26:00 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61987 on: May 17, 2013, 10:51:14 pm »

Oh god, my chest.  Kill me now.

(Nah, I've got three more hours to finish this paper, and that's more than enough.  But I'm ready to be done and collect my rewards, though I can't quite seem to remember what those were)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61988 on: May 17, 2013, 10:59:41 pm »

COLLEGE QUEST:
Turn in 1000 pieces of paper with words.
Reward: 1 piece of paper with words.

The material part of the College Trade is pretty unfair, even if that paper has value to other folks you'll run into in life. Of course, the whole time you're working on it, you're leveling up. Which is maybe the real reward?

But yeah, not long to go now. Keep at it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61989 on: May 17, 2013, 11:01:26 pm »

Oh my fucking god, woooooooords

I fucking love words

Hnnnnnnnnurgh love the taste of that panic attack

I'm gonna get out of here, and then I'm going to take care of myself for two years and be nothing but happy.  That is my promise to myself.  Just three more hours and then I'm done with this particular responsibility.  Okay.  Morse Theory, goooo!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #61990 on: May 17, 2013, 11:01:50 pm »

(Nah, I've got three more hours to finish this paper, and that's more than enough.  But I'm ready to be done and collect my rewards, though I can't quite seem to remember what those were)
This reminds me of the fact that if I thought long and hard about all the things I have due in the next couple of weeks I'd end myself within the hour. My solution is to deal with it as it comes, and to NOT think about it, but damn. I get moment's briefly where I think about it, and my chest seizes up in much the same way.
COLLEGE QUEST:
Turn in 1000 pieces of paper with words.
Reward: 1 piece of paper with words.

The material part of the College Trade is pretty unfair, even if that paper has value to other folks you'll run into in life. Of course, the whole time you're working on it, you're leveling up. Which is maybe the real reward?
It's a paper chase, that's always been known. There is even a movie version about it at Harvard Law.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #61991 on: May 17, 2013, 11:08:47 pm »

Quest complete: "BS Degree" Rewards: 1 Funny Hat, 1 Funny Robe, 1 Scroll of Alignment: Knowledge.
Quest unlocked: "Two more years." Rewards: 1 Funny Hat, 1 Funny Robe, 1 Scroll of Greater Alignment: Knowledge.
Next quest: "Even more years." Rewards: 1 Epic Felt Hat, 1 Epic Wizard Robe, 1 Scroll of Overqualification.

Also, my graduation is tomorrow; I know what you mean. :(
The next few days will determine where I spend the next several years. Several job interviews in the next week, all of which I am highly qualified for... and none of which I feel qualified for.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:11:12 pm by alway »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61992 on: May 18, 2013, 12:07:40 am »

May you catch them all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61993 on: May 18, 2013, 12:12:02 am »

*sigh*

One more frickin' section to do, rewrite the overview, and then I'll compile the PDF and email it off.  Nearly there!

(I'm not nearly so scared of the 15-page paper I have to start writing tomorrow.  That's kid's stuff, comparatively.  I will never complain about the formatting required for English papers ever again.)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61994 on: May 18, 2013, 12:24:58 am »

We found a bunch of kittens living under and behind our woodpile. Deciding that it would be better to try and find homes for them than to let them join the ranks of stray feral cats around here, we built a shelter, laid out some food and water, and spent a good hour digging them out of the woodpile and transferring them to the shelter. Now we're beginning the process of trying to get them used to humans and setting up fliers looking for adopters. We're also planning to keep one, a prospect I'm...less than enthusiastic about.

Sadly, it appears that one of the kittens is already going feral; it'll hiss at, claw, and bite anyone that tries to touch it. We're hoping it's just stress from getting caught, but if it doesn't improve soon we'll probably have to send it to a shelter to be put down.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4131 4132 [4133] 4134 4135 ... 8167