Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4109 4110 [4111] 4112 4113 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452764 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #61650 on: May 09, 2013, 02:13:09 am »

Based purely on the information provided, it sounds like she's just keeping you available to her as a convenience, and isn't otherwise emotionally invested.  Whether that means you should end the relationship or not is completely up to you, but in my opinion, it definitely means you shouldn't invest too much in her, either, for the time being.  She could have things going on in her life that you don't know about that are putting her off balance or something.  It's possible.  She wasn't this way at first and hasn't been for very long.  Just be prepared for the same behavior in the future.  Have alternate plans and a book or whatever on hand so that lateness or cancellations don't ruin your day.  Don't lend the money without solid collateral.  If she's put off by this, simply explain that she hasn't been trustworthy lately.  This doesn't make you uncaring.  It will just let her know that you're not someone she can take advantage of.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #61651 on: May 09, 2013, 02:28:21 am »

An old friend invited me to her wedding reception. I haven't been in contact with her or the group of friends she belongs to for over five years. I can't bring myself to reply, let alone go, because I fear they will judge me as harshly as I judge myself. It's not that I really think they will judge me, they were good friends, but my life is a bit of a mess and seeing them will cast a harsh light over it all.

My father tried to get me to watch Game of Thrones with him, but by 17 I wasn't about to fall for that. The internet has told me all I will ever want to know about that show.
The internet, and Wolfeyez, has told me that I would really like that show for about the first five minutes, and then I would want to punch someone. I mean, more than I already do.

Its actually a decent show. I'm generally all for nudity, but it IS a bit excessive.
The books are a fair bit more explicit to the point where I found it excessive, but still an enjoyable series.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61652 on: May 09, 2013, 02:29:41 am »

Well, sent the email.

I don't feel very good.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61653 on: May 09, 2013, 02:31:17 am »

The books are a fair bit more explicit to the point where I found it excessive, but still an enjoyable series.
Yea, I think GRRM has a bit of a thing for bi curious girls...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61654 on: May 09, 2013, 03:12:34 am »

I do thank for people commenting on my little situation. Basically every one of my online and offline confidants are in some form of agreement on this matter. It's just jarring that thing's have ostensibly turned from good to bad in the blink of an eye almost. Though I do want to point out, it's sometimes extremely hard for me to deduce what's actually happening in reality versus what painful memory is being dug up in my psyche and is being projected onto my perception of the situation. It's why I need a second opinion occasionally.

~Snip
Well you know what they say, if you stand too close you might fall in, but if your too far gone you'll never win.
Ok, so nobody said that, I got it from a song.

Point is maybe you came off a little too needy? "Oh, you were hanging with friends for two hours while we were meant to meet up? I was just sitting her by the phone getting upset." isn't the best of images.
You know the situation better than anybody, so you should be trusting your own judgment most, but don't let your self respect suffer for a pretty face. If she is making you wait, find something else to do, if she is asking for a sum of money that you don't want to part with, tell her to find it some other way.

Well, being seen as creepy and needy is like my biggest fear in life, so I've been especially careful to avoid being seen in that light.

But yeah, it's not like I've been super obsessed. When I got the smallest inkling that she wasn't into me, the only way I could subconsciously retaliate (and put my mind at ease) was to start up an Okcupid account, and broaden my horizon of potential new girls. No bites yet, but just having that avenue being open makes me feel better.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61655 on: May 09, 2013, 03:15:53 am »

Yeah, that's why I suggest family emergency.  She's either nuts or something in her world changed really suddenly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61656 on: May 09, 2013, 03:20:12 am »

But then again, what girl isn't nuts? Or guy for that matter? What person isn't nuts? There is not a single person I know very well that I wouldn't describe as 'Yea, they are just a little bit insane.'

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61657 on: May 09, 2013, 05:33:04 am »

A cat wandered in behind when I pulled into my garage.  I placed it back outside and it would run right back in.  I couldn't shut the garage door, because it would trigger the sensor that would stop it from lowering.  I had to pick it up, close the garage, and then place it outside the front door.  It so desperately wanted to come in.  It sat outside the door meowing for a couple minutes.  It seemed a pretty and very well-mannered cat.  I think it's probably an abandoned pet.  Not roughed up or paranoid enough to be a complete stray, but I did feel bits of matting in its fur.  I would have shown it some hospitality, but my wife is allergic and would be furious :(

Edit:  An hour later, and it just did the same thing to my neighbor.  She wasn't as nice as I was...  That cat's looking quite dejected now.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:11:44 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #61658 on: May 09, 2013, 06:55:37 am »

In my copy of War and Peace, the untranslated French or whatever was in the very back of the book as a huge footnote. Raeg. :<
A finnish translation of a book by Dostoyevsky had this same approach. In the foreword the translator said it was for convenience, because apparently footnotes at the end of every page is more annoying than all the footnotes at the back of the book.  ::)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61659 on: May 09, 2013, 07:49:26 am »

Writing a lit analysis on "Flowers for Algernon" for class today. As someone with an almost unnaturally high IQ and severe post-concussion syndrome, my only reaction upon reading it again was this: ;_;

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61660 on: May 09, 2013, 08:10:38 am »

Writing a lit analysis on "Flowers for Algernon" for class today. As someone with an almost unnaturally high IQ and severe post-concussion syndrome, my only reaction upon reading it again was this: ;_;
Oh god yes. I still maintain that story shoud be properly classified as horror. The last part of the story, the knowing decline into crippling mental inadequacy....that's my goddamn nightmare. I've always said that if I start getting Alzheimer's or dementia, the first lucid moment I have where I realize what's going on, I'm jumping off a fucking bridge.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61661 on: May 09, 2013, 08:19:18 am »

On: Flowers for Algernon

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61662 on: May 09, 2013, 08:44:25 am »

Max, I'm going into Neuroscience (And possibly Nano) JUST to figure out mental shit like that.

We'll make sure you don't go crazy, kay? <3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61663 on: May 09, 2013, 08:46:14 am »

I'm more worried about turning into a vegetable, but I appreciate the sentiment.

I should have a head-doc check me for signs of encephalopathy due to brain trauma.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61664 on: May 09, 2013, 09:05:14 am »

I've got about 40 years before my mind is gone.  My family histories make it a certainty, unless medical breakthroughs happen.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Pages: 1 ... 4109 4110 [4111] 4112 4113 ... 8167