Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4037 4038 [4039] 4040 4041 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424343 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60570 on: April 20, 2013, 04:35:06 am »

I'm familiar with everything I know being a lie, so I'm going to stick with it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60571 on: April 20, 2013, 05:44:23 am »

. . . Well, Beanpole seems to have gotten himself a girlfriend in the past week and my gaming group nearly broke up tonight.  Having hormonal issues and spent two hours this morning looking at disgusting/scary images for a psych experiment.  Why are so many psych experiments based around miserable bullshit?

In terms of volume of bad events (not intensity, obviously), this has pretty much been the worst six months of my life.  Sure, a couple of things have gone well, but the overall tone has had very little in the way of positivity to pull the high points off of "neutral."

Whatever.  Tomorrow's another day.

EDIT: I was wrong about the girlfriend.  Misread something on Facebook due to exhaustion.  Eh?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:06:13 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60572 on: April 20, 2013, 06:48:07 am »

Because analyzing human behavior leads to sociopathic tendencies, thus many experiments are designed for the enjoyment of the researcher.
Now that you know this, don't you just want to show people gruesome images then make them solve logic puzzles?  :P

Wolfeyez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60573 on: April 20, 2013, 09:10:38 am »

I used to shave my legs with a straight razor as a teen. (Note: The only thing I shave nowadays is my armpits, and that's with electric trimmers.) It is not terribly difficult if you take your time. That said, my legs are essentially huge piles of beef with all kinds of weird contours. If only the rest of me were so muscular.
I personally like shaving my legs i don't often even skip a day unless I'm in a huge hurry.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60574 on: April 20, 2013, 09:29:10 am »

I have the utmost respect.

I shave my beard and my chin and cheeks are itchy for days, hell even just a trim makes my neck itchy.  I can't even imagine an area the size of both legs being itchy like that...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60575 on: April 20, 2013, 09:30:33 am »

I think I finally understand why many people hate popularity.

So lets say you have a videogame series. It is nothing like what is currently being made and is fun and unique and even though it is, lets say, a first person shooter it is in almost a genre on its own.

You have a small but strong community that has followed it through the versions.

However because the game is so good the casual audience is starting to pick it up having heard from your community that the game was great. They start to see the game in the same light you do and the community grows to a much larger size then ever before! The word of mouth has grown the game to a wider audience.

Yet now the original audience, the one you were part of, are in the vast minority. It is fine, after all the series now has a lot more money to play around with which means the series don't have to hold onto its dated graphics and lack of voice acting. I mean why complain when the series is picking up and that people are recognizing that it is good?

However then more sequels come out and you start to realize that the series isn't holding onto what attracted you in the first place. The two gun system, cover system, and even continuously regenerating health bar something the series intentionally excluded get added to the game. Each sequel seems to adopt more First person shooter staples until finally this series becomes just another first person shooter.

You ask why they are doing this because you don't understand, afterall the community you hopped on with would have never supported this and wouldn't have stayed with the series if this was the intent. You hop into the forums and you see that everyone is really supportive of this new shift and are happy that the series is awesome like modern warfare.

Then it hits you... The vast majority of the community NOW actually would rather the game be more similar to all the other first person shooters. Sure the people who want the game to return to its routes are still there, sometimes much more vocal then the rest of the community. Sure the games sell much more then ever.

Yet when you look at the series you love so much and see that the games have melted down into Call of Duty, you feel like something great and unique died. There will always be more Call of duty rip offs, but this series, this series that you were with since the very start... Will likely never live again.

You wonder if things would have been better off if the series was still relatively obscure.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:33:02 am by Neonivek »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #60576 on: April 20, 2013, 09:37:04 am »

Are you referring to any specific series of video games?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60577 on: April 20, 2013, 09:42:17 am »

Are you referring to any specific series of video games?

Honestly I am just referring to things in general... It is just that cycle

1) Something comes out that is different and good at the same time
2) Strong but small community
3) Larger community hears of this thing and joins it because they hear it is good.
4) Thing slowly changes to cater to the larger community
5) Thing now like everything else, not bad... just similar.

I admit a lot of the time it is that larger community that saves the thing from dying off... but a part of me wonders if it would have been better dead.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:47:11 am by Neonivek »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60578 on: April 20, 2013, 09:57:48 am »

Dude, that example sounds eerily similar to a certain WWII/Alternate History first-person shooter for the PS3 :P
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60579 on: April 20, 2013, 10:53:32 am »

This better not be one of those days where it turns into endless hipster whining about how stuff was better before x, or was ruined forever by some miniscule change.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60580 on: April 20, 2013, 11:17:54 am »

The game was better before the z-axis.

Note: Not my actual opinion.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #60581 on: April 20, 2013, 11:23:51 am »

I always let my beard grow to the point where it no longer can be shaved with anything but a straight razor. Then I pay a guy to shave it off my face.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60582 on: April 20, 2013, 11:24:47 am »

This better not be one of those days where it turns into endless hipster whining about how stuff was better before x, or was ruined forever by some miniscule change.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #60583 on: April 20, 2013, 12:00:54 pm »

My favorite game company is EA. DAE?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #60584 on: April 20, 2013, 12:34:09 pm »

I always let my beard grow to the point where it no longer can be shaved with anything but a straight razor. Then I pay a guy to shave it off my face.
Just buy a straight razor. You can become Benjamin Butler!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 ... 4037 4038 [4039] 4040 4041 ... 8167