Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4033 4034 [4035] 4036 4037 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429523 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60510 on: April 18, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »

I actively despise every therapist I've ever tried, but I also try to avoid burdening my friends and those I know with my shit for exactly the reason described in this thread. Which leaves me basically crawling through it on my own, but eh, what else can a person do. At least this seems to reinforce my belief that it's basically the only real option open to me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60511 on: April 18, 2013, 12:27:45 pm »

Yeah, there are some terrible therapists out there. Not gonna deny that.

I always suggest people shop around for one that they can stand.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60512 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:55 pm »

I'm stuck in a hotel on the outskirts of the capital, surrounded by idiots and best of all, that manager who sweettalked me earlier is behind this. I know he means well, but it's that it turned into a hush-hush mudflinging shitfest that ruins it for me.

Also, BBCode on phones is pain and you should know this.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60513 on: April 18, 2013, 01:45:19 pm »

I'm pretty sure such people don't actually exist. The best I've found is one (and only one) that failed to consistently and actively make things worse. Note that this wasn't improvement, just a failure to exacerbate the problem.

I am much, much better off without therapists. (or medication, for that matter, but then it's pretty fucking obvious getting a psychiatrist willing to give me more than 5 minutes a month is well out of my price range and what can you expect, eh?)

Honestly, I don't know how psychiatric "help" manages to help anyone. It boggles my mind. The whole process is draining, demoralizing, dehumanizing, nonsensical, unscientific, and horribly, horribly frustrating. The only good experiences I've had, oddly enough, were signing myself up as a guinea pig - it's the only time I ever felt like someone cared how things turned out (even if they only cared for the purpose of the study, hell, that's something at least).

For me, at least, psychiatric help (whether chemical or therapeutic) is the quickest way to turn "depressed" into "suicidal", and since I'm interested in not killing myself it's something I now strive to avoid.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #60514 on: April 18, 2013, 02:23:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure such people don't actually exist. The best I've found is one (and only one) that failed to consistently and actively make things worse. Note that this wasn't improvement, just a failure to exacerbate the problem.

I am much, much better off without therapists. (or medication, for that matter, but then it's pretty fucking obvious getting a psychiatrist willing to give me more than 5 minutes a month is well out of my price range and what can you expect, eh?)

Honestly, I don't know how psychiatric "help" manages to help anyone. It boggles my mind. The whole process is draining, demoralizing, dehumanizing, nonsensical, unscientific, and horribly, horribly frustrating. The only good experiences I've had, oddly enough, were signing myself up as a guinea pig - it's the only time I ever felt like someone cared how things turned out (even if they only cared for the purpose of the study, hell, that's something at least).

For me, at least, psychiatric help (whether chemical or therapeutic) is the quickest way to turn "depressed" into "suicidal", and since I'm interested in not killing myself it's something I now strive to avoid.
What the fuck kind of terrible therapists have you been going to?

When I used to go to my therapist (before I was dropped from my parents insurance for not being in school anymore) she did occasionally make me do things I didn't feel like doing, and she was never really able to get me over my general lack of motivation, but there were a lot of things she did help me with, and I knew that she did what she did because she wanted me to improve.

Therapy is definitely one of those things where you need someone who actually cares about what they're doing, rather than just someone who's there to collect a check.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60515 on: April 18, 2013, 02:44:06 pm »

Spoiler: Rant rant rant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:45:39 pm by GlyphGryph »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60516 on: April 18, 2013, 05:25:29 pm »

Yeah, I've been on both sides, too--and I honestly don't have trouble with helping out friends, or even complete strangers.  I go out of my way to override my "I don't care" response when I think it's the right thing to do.  The problem, for me, is when folks basically start treating me like an on-call therapist, and basically contacting me every time they has a twinge of the sads.  It's one thing to talk about something when something good might come out of it, but I have a really hard time knowing what to do when someone comes up with the same problem over and over and over again, no change in the situation, no change in my reaction, no apparent desire to work on the problem.  You see, when I wound up in that scenario, I realized that I could just tell myself the things that I knew they were going to say, and thus only one of us ended up bored.

On the other hand, I suppose that most people don't stop being depressed because of revulsion for ennui >_>

Seconding the thing about therapy.  Really didn't work.  I've actually had other friends who, apropos of nothing, mentioned that there are just classes of people talk therapy doesn't tend to work for, so I suspect that we may be both members of that group.

Joe Blow Depresso wasn't in lecture this morning and my "friend" the DM decided that, because I made a comment about my mom hating LA, he needed to attack both of us personally (he basically called both of us stupid).  I also told him before this about my professor saying nice things about how I should go off and try to hack it as a comedy writer (not going to happen, but I thought I'd share the compliment) and he went on and on about how "as a person who actually knows comedy writers, the failure rate is 99.95%."  Yeah, I also joked about joining a convent a while ago and he said I was too much of a party girl to make it as a nun and practice asceticism.  Fuck this guy.

I'll talk to him when I'm feeling a little bit better, but man, he heard about the party we threw a mutual friend when he was out of town and commented about how he wished the guy "could have had a real party," we went off and got food together another time and of course, lots of comments about how he was glad about some dish or other so that the eating establishment was "good enough for him," and on and on and on complimenting himself on his mother's riches and fame.

Especially around me, because I let slip that my family was poor and from a rural area.

Fuck this guy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60517 on: April 18, 2013, 05:42:35 pm »

Fuck this guy.

Oh wonderful, one of those people who judge and put-down the rest of world with their every breath. I know those; my best (and pretty much only remaining) high school friend went through a Condescending phase kinda like that. I can be stupidly forgiving when it comes to my friendships, but this was getting pretty bad.

I think it's that whole "Put down the rest of the world to elevate yourself," modus operandi. Rather than building a life worthy of feeling good about, or even being able to see the good in anything.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:44:25 pm by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60518 on: April 18, 2013, 05:46:09 pm »

The professor also knows comedy writers!  All of her buddies from college became comedy writers, including apparently knowing one of the dudes who launched King of the Hill personally and being really close pals with Conan O'Brien's roommate!  Where does this guy get off?!

I think it's that whole "Put down the rest of the world to elevate yourself," modus operandi. Rather than building a life worthy of feeling good about, or even being able to see the good in anything.

Yeah, this.  I want to deck him.  I don't need figurative being pissed-on to go with the literal version.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60519 on: April 19, 2013, 01:56:07 am »

Got kicked out of the lab exercise because I made a stupid mistake on the entrance exam. I made the mistake because I was still groggy and missing several hours of sleep. I was missing several hours of sleep because I couldn't finish the lab reports on time. I couldn't finish them on time because I was tired and hungry and couldn't think clearly, so a simple problem took almost two hours to solve.

Lack of sleep, it is bad, do not do it.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60520 on: April 19, 2013, 02:57:10 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:10:39 pm by Ogdibus »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #60521 on: April 19, 2013, 11:21:57 am »

Had steak sandwich. The steak was so raw it was trying to order the salad.

Quitting this job. Told guy I had never done personal injury cases before. He said he'd show me how and train me. This consisted of him throwing several cases at me and wondering why the tasks on them weren't done within a couple hours. Also, he doesn't wanna pay anything. Bye.... Boss is not here for me to quit. I'm leaving.

Not on same page. Not. It's like those people who have a little cake and a "party" for their dog's birthday. They're the only ones who think it makes sense. The rest of us are just thinking they're crazy. The dog either doesn't understand or is sad because it's the first time anyone has remembered his or her birthday in seven years.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60522 on: April 19, 2013, 11:33:00 am »

I'm sorry truean, at least you still have your sense of humor.

...Internet hugs for everyone!  Even you greatorder, I'll just make sure I take some extra vitamin C and look for immune boosting stuff after yours.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #60523 on: April 19, 2013, 11:37:25 am »

Heard an interview with the bombers aunt an the radio.  :'(
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60524 on: April 19, 2013, 02:01:09 pm »

Well it took a while but now GoG (Good Old Games) is officially becoming a site like all the others.

I am kinda sad... but the people have spoken and DLC, Unfinished games, incomplete games, and new releases are the new future.

I thought it was a slip up but apparently that was the direction they wanted to go.

Ohh well I am sure they will be more popular because of this shift.
Pages: 1 ... 4033 4034 [4035] 4036 4037 ... 8167