Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4024 4025 [4026] 4027 4028 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9437142 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60375 on: April 15, 2013, 02:46:46 am »

Now that I have my job and making money, I'm thinking of finally asking for the phone number of this cute girl I met that works at a grocery store deli.

I'm working myself into a damn tizzy though. I've waited a long time, waiting until the circumstances in my life were finally so-so and I was no longer an obvious huge loser at first glance, and I'm really worried. She's really cute, it's hard to imagine she doesn't already have a significant other. Heck, I read somewhere that there's only something like seven single girls per square mile in populated areas, and while I don't know how legit a statement like that is nor can I remember where I read it, but I'm just nervous as heck.

Fucking, damnit, goddamnit, I wish damn simple stupid stuff like this didn't always crop up that revealed me as such a prototypical inexperienced lonely bastard. It seems so fucking immature to have a crush on somebody I barely know, as a 24-year old man no less.

I'd ask for advice, but damn does it always feel like I'm being implicitly condescended to.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60376 on: April 15, 2013, 03:09:47 am »

You might be surprised to hear this, but it's actually a really sensible and mature thing to do, to wait until you're in a good position to try and kick off a romantic relationship. A lot of folks jump into them when they're not on solid footing, and those can end up really dysfunctional and bad, and drag on. So you've already got a leg up on all them! Congrats!

Also, this is probably not super-helpful to hear... but stop waffling and just do it. Blunt honesty is generally a good thing; you think she's cute, and you'd like to get to know her. Don't have to make it a Date date yet if you don't want to, but she might be amenable if you are. And no reason to worry if it doesn't work, because you were honest, and she was honest, so it's all for the best.

Most importantly, don't approach this from a "Am I good enough for you to consider going out with me?" angle, because that's disingenuous to you. Let her make her own decision on that, without trying to sabotage yourself or making yourself out to be pathetic. Again, that's just not fair to you.

Go forth, in confidence! Or some semblance thereof! Carpe that Diem, etc. etc.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #60377 on: April 15, 2013, 03:10:12 am »

I hoped to do well in the intraschool informatics olympiad, but I'm pretty sure I flunked it.
Reason: I didn't look up some of the most commonly known algorithms like finding the shortest path between nodes, stairclimbing, guessing a password by a "how many numbers you got right" input, and fitting tiles to perfectly cover a floor. :<

I mean, the nodes and the staircliming and the guessing are really really extra common ... ;_; I only got the other ones right because I saw those algorithms before, like GCM, sorting, Fibbonachi-with-optimizing, and one or two others.

:/
Also, I think I reconfirmed my hatred of puzzles >_>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #60378 on: April 15, 2013, 07:26:59 am »

Now that I have my job and making money, I'm thinking of finally asking for the phone number of this cute girl I met that works at a grocery store deli.

I'm working myself into a damn tizzy though. I've waited a long time, waiting until the circumstances in my life were finally so-so and I was no longer an obvious huge loser at first glance, and I'm really worried. She's really cute, it's hard to imagine she doesn't already have a significant other. Heck, I read somewhere that there's only something like seven single girls per square mile in populated areas, and while I don't know how legit a statement like that is nor can I remember where I read it, but I'm just nervous as heck.

Fucking, damnit, goddamnit, I wish damn simple stupid stuff like this didn't always crop up that revealed me as such a prototypical inexperienced lonely bastard. It seems so fucking immature to have a crush on somebody I barely know, as a 24-year old man no less.

I'd ask for advice, but damn does it always feel like I'm being implicitly condescended to.
Statistics, beliefs, modes of information.

That's pretty much normal when you're inexperienced, you're finding a reliable source of getting information that is reasonable.

Best advice? Go tell her point blank about what you sincerely think. It's pretty much not that hard. The fact that you're musing over the details and probabilities is much of a bonus to your side, you exemplify concern. Now get that concern and show it to that person you care about! :)

I hoped to do well in the intraschool informatics olympiad, but I'm pretty sure I flunked it.
Reason: I didn't look up some of the most commonly known algorithms like finding the shortest path between nodes, stairclimbing, guessing a password by a "how many numbers you got right" input, and fitting tiles to perfectly cover a floor. :<

I mean, the nodes and the staircliming and the guessing are really really extra common ... ;_; I only got the other ones right because I saw those algorithms before, like GCM, sorting, Fibbonachi-with-optimizing, and one or two others.

:/
Also, I think I reconfirmed my hatred of puzzles >_>
Intraschool informatics olympiad. This in itself sounds much of you being a winner for competing in the first place - it isn't about the prize, but about the experience. Seeing the context, that's pretty much advanced. I'm not a programmer but I can say that the human psyche tends to lean more on the negative effects of things - what could've been done as opposed to what was accomplished. Y'all have done much in that field, It's just you holding yourself back :P

Also, there's more times than now Skyru. You're learning pretty fast.

Sorry for the un-sad post. I guess that constitutes my sadness for the day (and moral dilemmas regarding me overthinking life and such)...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #60379 on: April 15, 2013, 12:16:14 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #60382 on: April 15, 2013, 02:22:04 pm »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #60384 on: April 15, 2013, 02:29:38 pm »

Pictures of the site are showing a whole lot of blood on the ground. There are going to be fatalities if that is as much blood as it looks like.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #60385 on: April 15, 2013, 02:32:51 pm »

Oh dear.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #60386 on: April 15, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »

I can't even view any news articles on this.  They're all crashing.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #60387 on: April 15, 2013, 02:36:15 pm »

Early reports say 12-30 people injured. I found more pictures. I think I can confirm at least one fatality, but the image is really blurry.

EDIT: No, wait, this one shows that it's just some medical gear.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 02:40:07 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60388 on: April 15, 2013, 02:42:29 pm »

This is terrible. Why would someone do this?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #60389 on: April 15, 2013, 02:44:05 pm »

I have no idea. Politics. Religion. This is also the day North Korea promised vengeance. Found a seconds-after photo that I'm not linking here. If the guy I'm seeing in it isn't dead he's definitely lost both his legs.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4024 4025 [4026] 4027 4028 ... 8167