Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4014 4015 [4016] 4017 4018 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443665 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60225 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:58 pm »

My mother is seriously considering banning me from the computer because I told her I don't think the US having Christianity as a state religion is good. The computer comes from me 'getting bad ideas' from the internet. I thought she was over trying to shove religion down my throat.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60226 on: April 10, 2013, 10:12:59 pm »

My mother is seriously considering banning me from the computer because I told her I don't think the US having Christianity as a state religion is good. The computer comes from me 'getting bad ideas' from the internet. I thought she was over trying to shove religion down my throat.

Ehh if you believe that Christianity serves as a good guideline for how to be a good virtuous person then it makes sense as a state religion.

Saying that she may have thought you were saying how you didn't think a state needed that strong moral guideline.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60227 on: April 10, 2013, 10:14:31 pm »

Ehh if you believe that Christianity serves as a good guideline for how to be a good virtuous person then it makes sense as a state religion.

Saying that she may have thought you were saying how you didn't think a state needed a strong moral guideline.

'When the sky opens up and Jesus comes back, you better drop to your knees and start praying!'

No, she did not take it like that. She took it as 'i'm an atheist' which I pretty much am.

-EDIT-

And when I say 'state religion' I mean prayers in school are mandatory, prayers in Senate, crosses everywhere, Church attendance is mandatory.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:18:27 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60228 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:08 pm »

No, she did not take it like that. She took it as 'i'm an atheist' which I pretty much am

Yeah I see.

That REALLY sucks (not the atheist part), I can see why you posted it here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60229 on: April 10, 2013, 11:11:16 pm »

I'm going to go up and fly paper airplanes on my own, anyway, because I actually really want to make this trip.  So, I still have it to look forward to!  I'll get myself a pineapple red bean bun, bring the camera, and take some great early-morning photos of orange and magenta airplanes against the sky.

Sorry about the dumb, but keep at it. That does sound like a fun thing to do in itself too, so I hope it's a good trip for you.

And, if nothing else, the turkeys can breath a sigh of relief.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60230 on: April 10, 2013, 11:14:46 pm »

It's gonna be a fucking amazing trip.

(Honestly, I'm mostly upset at the "I'm super-excited!" "Oh wait not with you, nah, I'm not even going to bother to tell you no" shit--that is just rude.  I'll get over it eventually.)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60231 on: April 10, 2013, 11:17:38 pm »

Ok, so you remember that parking ticket I said I managed to get a while back? Of course you do.

So today about five minutes after I come home my parents are in the kitchen, my father has been cooking dinner and my mother's telling him about some work related stuff of no real note. At some point my father asked something along the lines of "do we know what's going on with that parking ticket", well one thing leads to another and suddenly my mother is going berserk because she feels my father laying too much responsibility on her for expecting her to know what was going on with the ticket... or something. I'm pretty sure he just wanted to make sure the ticket was taken care of, but she didn't seem to see it that way. Pretty soon she's screaming at the top of her lungs hitting my father with various condiment bottles and chases him out of the house throwing the bottles at his car as he drives off.

After a little while my father calls and tells me I should go ahead and eat dinner since he'd just finished cooking it, so I set the table, serve up dinner, call my brother up and eat my dinner because god damn it it had been a long day and I was hungry. I eat dinner while my mother asks about the ticket "I'd set up the appeal and everything, but had yet to hear back from them", we eat dinner mostly in silence apart from the point where my mother asks my brother to get the bottle of honey mustard from the front lawn...

I go back to the computer and I start looking into some homework stuff, my father has come back while we were eating dinner and is working at something on his laptop, in about fifteen minutes my mother comes back and starts flipping out again, she slams his laptop shut and starts picking it up and slamming it on the table while shouting at him. there's some argument about finances, she demands my father get the money that's in a British bank account over here, then demands that he buy her a plane ticket back to England, and that if he doesn't she's just going to use her money to buy the ticket herself so he'd better do it. Then she winds up throwing things around the room, including my precalc book, a bag, some folders, cards against humanity, and goodness knows what else was on hand. This ends up as happens far too often with my father pinning my mother on the floor and asking her to calm down, she's biting at him and spitting and proclaiming she's going to call the police. She screams for my brother to come upstairs, he does, she then asks him to get my father off of her, he asks why he should do that given that she started the entire argument to begin with.

She responds to this by denying she started the argument and that my father started it by not doing what he should be doing and complaining about being horrible in bed... or rather by her complaining about being horrible in bed... seriously. She seemed to become rather incoherent at this point, not that she's particularly good at making coherent points when she's in this state anyway, but at this point she was particularly bad. She then threatens to kill my father, proclaiming she's going to stab him. My brother says my father should just let him up because she's never going to be able to kill him because she knows that he, my brother, would be sure to kill her first, and that she knows he's capable of it. My father says that's not funny, my brother says of course it's funny, the entire world is funny especially the pathetic and miserable parts like "you" (to which I presume he meant my mother and father).

At this point I just left the house. I called up a friend, drove over to their place, and just hung around a little bit, I basically just cried for a while (I really wasn't expecting to, but I sort just starting sobbing on the way over, I'm sure you all know how these things can be), then when I'd calmed down a bit we went to the mall, wandered around what shops were still open and went to see a movie. Not a hugely good one but whatever, it helped take my mind off of things. Went back to her place, I considered just staying the night on the couch or something but I'm not sure how well I would have slept and I figured I'd have to come back at some point anyway. So after waiting around an hour or so I just drove home.

There are still several condiments sitting out there and I nearly slipped in a puddle of some kind of vinaigrette on my way back in. My father's asleep in a chair downstairs, my mother's presumably in bed.. and I'm deeply concerned at my ability to cope with this stuff while trying to revise for a big exam that's coming up.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60232 on: April 10, 2013, 11:32:46 pm »

Spoiler: for length: (click to show/hide)

Ooooooh boy...

Pnx, for starters, I am terribly sorry for you, and everyone in that situation. I'm not sure if I can recommend it, but I approached my parents about seeking counseling when this sort of stuff happened. Maybe you could do some research and consider proposing a local place to them?

I'm not sure I can recommend it because that was the last thing I said to my step-dad before he got violent and threw me around, which provoked me to stare him down, shake my head, and permanently move out. But ours was a different case. And it did get better after that. Time heals these things.

I think recognizing that there are some unhealthy things happening is an important step. And if they are both willing to approach it with a professional in a neutral setting, it can lead to healing. Doesn't have to be a big deal, and no one else has to know. Maybe approach your dad about it privately? Or your mom?

Whatever you do, if you do that, let them know that it's something you say out of love, and not judgement.

Also, hang in there, dude. :\
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:36:19 pm by Solifuge »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60233 on: April 11, 2013, 12:11:20 am »

-snip-
What. The. Fuck.

Wow, bro. Wish you all the luck in the world, and hope things get less batshit crazy for your sake.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #60234 on: April 11, 2013, 12:20:26 am »

-snip-
What. The. Fuck.

Wow, bro. Wish you all the luck in the world, and hope things get less batshit crazy for your sake.
Yeah, hopefully these things can stop happening for no apparent reason. Uh ... good luck.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #60235 on: April 11, 2013, 12:39:06 am »

I am still at work...
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60236 on: April 11, 2013, 12:48:17 am »

Ooooooh boy...

Pnx, for starters, I am terribly sorry for you, and everyone in that situation. I'm not sure if I can recommend it, but I approached my parents about seeking counseling when this sort of stuff happened. Maybe you could do some research and consider proposing a local place to them?

I'm not sure I can recommend it because that was the last thing I said to my step-dad before he got violent and threw me around, which provoked me to stare him down, shake my head, and permanently move out. But ours was a different case. And it did get better after that. Time heals these things.

I think recognizing that there are some unhealthy things happening is an important step. And if they are both willing to approach it with a professional in a neutral setting, it can lead to healing. Doesn't have to be a big deal, and no one else has to know. Maybe approach your dad about it privately? Or your mom?

Whatever you do, if you do that, let them know that it's something you say out of love, and not judgement.

Also, hang in there, dude. :\
I think they tried to attend couples counselling once or twice, didn't go well.

The trouble is that from her perspective it's never her that's the issue, it's the entire rest of the world. She seems to have the most incredibly distorted perception of reality on top of some really serious emotional and personal issues that honestly I can only sort of somewhat comprehend.

I've tried to talk to her about this stuff but I do just get completely shut down, she will just flat out deny she has any kind of problem whatsoever, and frankly I'm just not good at confrontations, especially not hostile ones, and with my mother there never seems to be any other kind.

She has been a lot better ever since she started taking anti-depressants, and I was starting to think that maybe this sort of thing could stop being a permanent fixture in my life, but with the way she's been acting just recently I'm starting to doubt that. I honestly don't think I can go back to the way things used to be. I was kind of willing to just let the past be buried but I don't think I can live with this woman if she's going to start doing this stuff again.

Right now my thoughts are wondering if I should just finally try to move out, although that brings with it all kinds of huge concerns like "how am I going to support myself?", and "will I even be able to handle it?"... There are reasons why I haven't done it already. I'm also wondering if I shouldn't just finally try to get the police to arrest her. I think it might be the only way the situation in this household is ever going to improve. However I'm not sure it even will improve it, I don't know if it even can be improved...

This is really one of the worst possible times for this stuff to crop up as well...

I'm going to bed.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #60237 on: April 11, 2013, 02:32:04 am »

I want to enter the Korean Olympiad for Informatics, but I think I'm not good enough. :(

For those who don't know, the KOI is basically a regional competition to choose four people to enter the International Olympiad in Informatics, where this year's competition is held is Australia.

I mean.. since it's a national competition, everyone who's good at this stuff is probably entering it. :S Also, algorithms like pathfinding or optima are unknown to me.. and they'll probably appear. ;_;

Oh well. :\
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:42:52 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #60238 on: April 11, 2013, 02:44:32 am »

Sounds like Anti-psychotics are needed instead of anti-depressants.

But mainly, I just can't understand why people put up with crazy spouses like that. I'm in love with a clinically insane person, I visit him all the time, but I don't live with him.

Not that I don't want to, I just know that I can't say no to him, I couldn't kick him out if he went on a drug binge, etc. He needs to stay somewhere that is able to exercise control over him (group home), not with me who would be unable to stop an insanity spiral in progress.

Its not healthy to let your mom get away with behaving like that; the police should have been called and taken her to jail. Bounderies need to be set, or it WILL continue to get worse.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60239 on: April 11, 2013, 03:30:01 am »

I miss my mom.
Ever since she turned herself for witness protection concerning that dreaded event last year, I haven't been able to see her since. She left around December 2012. Now, it's now 1/4 of 2013, and I still haven't been able to see her. The one responsible for all this was a relative of one of the Malaysian government peoples, and he was (un)fortunately apprehended there. Our f**king government decided they wanted the Malaysians to handle the situation first, and decided to wait instead of enforcing their claim on that f**ker. It was either the perpetrator shows up, or my mom waited until all the cases against the company (and in effect, also her) would be finished and she won all of those.

So, I guess I have to go through the slow path and wait for approximately 2 years. It could be even more, depending on what outlandish accusation the muslim mob has to claim.

This... Just this

Sounds like government is failing people all over the place.

Both of these stories make me feel terrible, and angry... but New Guy, I hope you get some justice for your family soon. When it's over, your mom will have a hell of a story to tell. Until then, I hope you can find peace with your Dad; he's no doubt as anxious and scared for her as you are, so that's probably just feeding the tension. Hang in there.

Thanks, Soli. But my dad is a different story altogether.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Life has never been simple for me. Always stuck in a ship in the middle of a tempest.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 4014 4015 [4016] 4017 4018 ... 8167