Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4006 4007 [4008] 4009 4010 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448855 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60105 on: April 08, 2013, 04:19:51 am »

My point with the anthill is to ask, why does there need to be a "single" consciousness at all? That's pretty much only basing this idea of a single entity "God" on ourselves. And it's arrogant to say that the way we "just happen" to operate as evolved entities, is ALSO the way "the creator of the universe" operates.

Anyway, why even a consciousness at all? Why limit the universe's potential by the model of our own existence, since we're a fairly insignificant randomly-created thing. "Consciousness" is something we only really know about from OURSELVES. To state the entirety of everything, ever, works on our personal species principle is very arrogant.

Why does the have to be a "mind" behind anything at all? Pretty much humans are very good at anthropomorphizing - probably due to our evolution as a social creature we project the idea of consciousness onto everything and everyone so we can better judge their future behavior. It works well for other humans, but not so well for inanimate objects. We see a "mind" in everything - volcanoes, trees, rocks, the wind, the moon, the sun, the stars, the Earth itself. We we wrong about there being a mind inside all those other things - i don't see any reason to give the benefit of the doubt to people who say "well we can't say for sure, so there's definitely a Mind behind the universe itself!".

This is the whole point of being an agnostic, though. It's impossible to know.

I think there is one, far greater and more vast than ours, but I know I could be wrong.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #60106 on: April 08, 2013, 04:23:56 am »

Well in Catholocism God is split into three consciousnesses.
Don't worry, it actually makes sense.
Because God got so offended by two people who don't even exist gaining sentience that he had to go down to earth in the form of a boy via impregnating a virgin teen with himself by willing it so, then spreading his word around before dying to appease himself.
God got some serious multiple personality disorder.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60107 on: April 08, 2013, 04:40:03 am »

Well in Catholocism God is split into three consciousnesses.
Don't worry, it actually makes sense.

My personal theory is the three-way split is created by its own perfection and is a way to manifest as contradictory forms. (or rather so god can exhibit forms of perfection that cannot exist in a single being)

Unfortunately I cannot stay in this conversation type for now. It makes me queasy for some reason.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60108 on: April 08, 2013, 05:16:19 am »

Perhaps because I feel like there is some... I dunno, sense of awe that appears to be widespread to human beings who have lived a particular while.  "This all happened!  How fantastic!  I'm a living being!"  And I would understand this sense of grandeur in miniature things to be the whisperings of a god, if you like--the moments at which a human being could safely scrape up against divinity.

But at the same time, I don't understand why with one side of the mouth a person could say "I am open and forgiving and humble" and with the other side of the mouth a person could say "You are going to burn in hell for all eternity even though you haven't broken any of the things we both know to be sins." (you know, obvious moral wrongs)

-snip-

Movements atheists proselytize and argue much like the more irritating religious folks with whom I'm familiar (so, if you drop that you're a believer of any stripe in a conversation, such a person would consider it his responsibility to divest you of your faith then and there).

"Movement Atheists," huh? I never had those words until now, so thank you! The reason I started using the term Agnostic instead of Atheist to describe my beliefs is because I wanted to distance myself from that sort of behavior. Richard Dawkins, though his enthusiasm is wonderful, really bothers me for reasons I haven't explored. I think it's that he's a dogmatic, callous, proselytizing ass- many of the things he decries about organized religion. Spirituality or religion, in my experience, aren't the universal forces for ignorance and suffering he makes them out to be. Even if there is nothing like God out there, a spirituality can help heal and provide direction for people who are lost and hurt, and gives us training wheels for moral behavior.

And then there's that "widespread sense of awe" you mention. It seems pretty universal to the human experience, to feel like there's some aspect of the consciousness or the self that extends beyond the immediately material. I don't feel that I can both assume I'm just a small conglomeration of limited sensory organs and neurons, while at the same time assuming an objective and solid-enough vantage point on the universe to really know its nature. Maybe this sense of Grandeur -is- just an evolutionary adaptation to keep us sane, and keep us from succumbing to feelings of futility at life, as conscious beings capable of abstract thought. Maybe there is a spiritual, non-material component to the self, like an immortal soul that reincarnates or gets to chill with a bunch of naked winged babies, flaming wheels, and/or giant orbs of eyes and wings once we die.

I just can't reconcile assuming I'm just this bag of meat with a limited perspective, and also assume that this bag of meat has such an objective and amazing vantage on the universe to know what it, itself, is. The mirror cannot know itself.

-snip-

This, very much. Though I can't go so far as to say that volcanoes, trees, etc. don't have anything like a mind; there's no reason for me to suspect it, but I also don't like ruling things out unless I have proof.. and I don't understand the nature of consciousness nearly well enough to know where it can be ascribed. Best guess is it's a Brain-based thing, but I don't know how the hell it even. Also, it's comforting to feel like I'm more than an illusion created as a short blip of activity by a lump of neurons, because that can make life feel really dark and lonely and futile sometimes... which runs at odds with how amazing and awesome life otherwise seems. I really liked when a friend of mine likened the brain to a "radio receiver, but for consciousness" in his spirituality.

I also don't like to rule out that sort of Animist consciousness thing because, if Pele, or any sentient volcanoes are reading this, they probably can't type to prove their existence, and I'd like to stay on good terms. Mostly though, they're much bigger than I am, and I'd like not to be buried under a heap of ash and molten rock.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:19:41 am by Solifuge »

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #60109 on: April 08, 2013, 05:40:10 am »

I think it's pretty amazing that I'm basically just electrically charged flesh and I've gotta say I agree a lot more with Dawkins, the real world is far more awesome than any fairytale I ever heard.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 05:42:13 am by Lysabild »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #60110 on: April 08, 2013, 05:42:07 am »

Richard Dawkins, though his enthusiasm is wonderful, really bothers me for reasons I haven't explored. I think it's that he's a dogmatic, callous, proselytizing ass- many of the things he decries about organized religion. Spirituality or religion, in my experience, aren't the universal forces for ignorance and suffering he makes them out to be. Even if there is nothing like God out there, a spirituality can help heal and provide direction for people who are lost and hurt, and gives us training wheels for moral behavior.

Heh. I follow the guy on Twitter, and I agree that he doesn't try his very best to avoid hurting anyone's feelings :P. Honestly, if most of the religious right didn't respond to every one of his Tweet, I would probably stop following him, as he's not particularly interesting.

On one hand, I can understand how frustrating the mere existence of religion (or rather, well educated religious people) could annoy a scientist like Dawkins, but on the other hand, he is a bit of an asshole. Some of his 'New Atheist' friends are even worse though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #60111 on: April 08, 2013, 07:33:36 am »

"Movement Atheists," huh? I never had those words until now, so thank you! The reason I started using the term Agnostic instead of Atheist to describe my beliefs is because I wanted to distance myself from that sort of behavior. Richard Dawkins, though his enthusiasm is wonderful, really bothers me for reasons I haven't explored. I think it's that he's a dogmatic, callous, proselytizing ass- many of the things he decries about organized religion. Spirituality or religion, in my experience, aren't the universal forces for ignorance and suffering he makes them out to be. Even if there is nothing like God out there, a spirituality can help heal and provide direction for people who are lost and hurt, and gives us training wheels for moral behavior.
Yeah I used  to think that sort of behaviour wasn't necessary until my family started talking about Illuminati and the devil. It is not a good base for people to learn their morals from. It's material to reflect on not follow. In any case I'd still prefer a world of scientific dogmatists who are laconic beyond minuscule measure. People would actually listen to each other.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #60112 on: April 08, 2013, 07:46:19 am »

The weekend's over. Again. My soul hurts at the thought of more weeks of school with such few breaks.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #60113 on: April 08, 2013, 08:03:47 am »

Just a kind of generic thing to the last spat of discussion... Vec, there's folks out there that straddle the same area in regards to spiritual belief that you do. They're kinda' rare, but... I'm one, I've met a few others -- few of my professors, some fellow students... one or two folks in my general life (amusingly, at least three of them were ordained Christian priests >_>). Folks with an actual thorough-going understanding of faith and an appreciation of both "sides", so to speak, of the argument, even if they lean one way or another. Not to say you shouldn't give what's available a try and see what happens (for good or ill, I guess.), but just a sort of... don't lose hope kind of thing. They're out there, if that's a primary issue.

As a general thing, you might try hunting down some Buddhists or some of the related belief systems. From what I've seen (limited sample size, etc., etc.) they (the "eastern" spiritual beliefs in general) seem to be a bit more open on that front than the abrahamic inspired systems.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60114 on: April 08, 2013, 08:05:49 am »

There is no way for humanity to reach its maximum potential in terms of scientific and engineering achievements while still having freedom for individuals that I can think of.
This makes me sad.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #60115 on: April 08, 2013, 08:39:31 am »

Margret Thatcher died.

This ensadens me.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #60116 on: April 08, 2013, 08:46:18 am »

Of Billy Elliot fame to me. o_O

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #60117 on: April 08, 2013, 09:37:16 am »

I relate almost completely to your side of things as well, Vector, and to Reelya's bit on the nature of consciousness.

While I've never heard the term "movement athiest", it makes perfect sense to me.  I know exactly what you're talking about, and I've been annoyed with these people for years.  I know people who literally believe that religion is the source of all humanity's problems, and like to repeat the words "logic" and "reason" constantly as if only people who function the same as they do have a monopoly on those things and it makes them infallible.  The arrogance drives me crazy.

But they're just doing the same thing as religious dogma.  The only difference is their reasoning can be objectively evaluated, and that's a good thing.  It just doesn't mean that it's the ONLY useful or valid way to experience the world.

And I don't understand why organized religion has to be structured like it is, either, except for the obvious "human beings are tribal by nature" hand-waves.  I do see it as being all about control.  There are just way too many contradictions to the very idea of spiritual belief being such a strictly monopolized and regulated thing, and it drives me crazy that people buy into it.

And it really is awkward being in the middle.  Like Pnx sort of pointed out, it seems like the majority of people can't grasp non-absolutist styles of thinking.  Like it's somehow existentially crippling to them if they can't latch on to a single idea and cry out "This is the one and only correct answer!!!"  And they get upset with anyone else who doesn't have the same need to do that.  Like it makes them insecure to be around someone who doesn't share their insecurities.

I also think the bit about anthropomorphization is really relevant.  As much as I'm all about this non-absolutist take on reality perception and respecting people's beliefs and such... I personally rule out completely any religious belief that describes higher order beings as having consciousness and personality directly relatable to our own. 

The way I like to understand it these days is something like this.

We are essentially a particle system.  The cellular make-up of our body is a particle system.  The molecular make-up of our cells is a particle system.  The atomic make-up of those molecules is a particle system.  Somehow our consciousness is a result of this particle system that manages to not only be something more than, but completely different from the sum of its parts.  The process of our consciousness may or may not be entirely material, but the product is something immaterial and abstract.

So why don't we look at other particle systems as being potentially the same way?  What about the particle systems we participate in every day?  Are we a part of a thing that is greater than the sum of its parts, just like the cells in our bodies?  I know many people will think "gaia theory" as soon as they read that, but that's just our planet, right?  What about the universe?  We could be something to the universe as a single atom is to our own bodies.

This is sort of how I view any potential spiritual nature to the universe.  And also why I find most existing religions quite silly.  Do you ever communicate with your blood cells?  Could you if you wanted to?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:40:07 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #60118 on: April 08, 2013, 10:38:36 am »

Do you ever communicate with your blood cells?  Could you if you wanted to?

Yes
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:41:46 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #60119 on: April 08, 2013, 01:11:45 pm »

Weather is absolutely freakin' GORGEOUS outside. Like, *perfect*.

And I'm stuck inside at a desk.  :'(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 4006 4007 [4008] 4009 4010 ... 8167