Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3998 3999 [4000] 4001 4002 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451799 times)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59985 on: April 05, 2013, 04:21:02 am »

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson.
Spoiler: just in case (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:39:01 am by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #59986 on: April 05, 2013, 04:24:55 am »

... I dont recall those....

anyhow, TBH The Night Land was decent as a setting, but the action itself is boring. It'd probably make a decent RPG or DF-like setting.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #59987 on: April 05, 2013, 04:45:23 am »

Spoiler: Some examples (click to show/hide)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59988 on: April 05, 2013, 04:50:21 am »

Maybe he was just into bondage?
Back then sexuality wasn't very talked about, so I imagine people just assumed everybody thought the same way they did.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59989 on: April 05, 2013, 04:58:07 am »

Reading (and about) Time Cube makes me feel incredibly stupid. It's as if there's a message laid out right there but the words aren't written in a way that I can understand them.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59990 on: April 05, 2013, 05:06:48 am »

And now, before your very eyes, Max White explains...TIME CUBE!!!!
First and for most, the author of Time Cube is both very mentally ill, sexist and racist. He suffers from serious paranoia, so when he starts blaming random people like the government for things, don't feel stupid for not understanding why, there is no reason why.

Now, one day a very sick man noticed something wonderful. There are in fact four days at the same time! That is to say, while it is mid day here, it is midnight on the over side of the world, and morning and afternoon in other places. He split the earth into four sections for each time phase and called it the 'time cube', then accused those who promote the idea of the 'day' as liars.
What he didn't realize is that four time phases is an arbitrary number, it works with any number. He could have used 4, 7 or even... 24. Most likely in his impaired mental state, four just seemed like the ideal number because squares.
The idea behind time cube is very well known and used, but instead of four time zones, we use 24 around the world. Each time zone is separate by half an hour. We could have used 4, but 24 works better.

So there you go, there is nothing special about time cube, no reason to feel stupid or like you are missing something. It is just the ranting of a very sick man.

Eht Namuh, on the other hand, clearly contains the secrets of the universe!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #59991 on: April 05, 2013, 05:20:29 am »

don't feel stupid for not understanding why, there is no reason why.

I feel like this is the only part of that post that it was necessary to type.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #59992 on: April 05, 2013, 05:24:27 am »

Maybe he was just into bondage?
Back then sexuality wasn't very talked about, so I imagine people just assumed everybody thought the same way they did.
Perhaps. I have wondered similar but it doesn't really fit with the other stuff he has said.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59993 on: April 05, 2013, 05:43:06 am »

[Quote goes here]
It's not the actual things that he said, it's something about the words themselves. I don't know if it's the layout, the unusual underlines and spacing, or what; but reading it gives me a headache and I can't do much more than just look at the page. I think that it may be a terrorist plot to cause brain damage to the western world.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59994 on: April 05, 2013, 05:50:17 am »

Well you certainly shouldn't feel unintelligent for having an adverse reaction to a shitty webpage layout. It is more common than you think!
Did you know that two in every seven internet users will suffer from seesesitis, a reaction to a poorly constructed internet page? Luckily, help is available. The good people at Intertube Pharmaceuticals have developed Blind-Me-Not, a capsule based solution to your web needs. This suppository based solution will relieve the effects of seesesitis, and let you live the life you always wanted, reading crazy conspiracy sites!
Warning: Blind-Me-Not should not be taken in conjunction with telnet services. If pain persists, seek your local admin.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59995 on: April 05, 2013, 06:06:27 am »

Dear Intertube Pharmaceuticals,

Ever since I began taking your medication for safer web browsing, my life has become a paranoid nightmare.  Black helicopters follow me everywhere I go.  I keep waking up in trash bins in dark alleys, and I find my genitals shaven every time this happens.  On one occasion, Donald Trump even stole my spleen, but immediately sold it back to me.

I'm not sure how these events are related to your product, but clearly they are.  The internet sites I am now able to view with only minor discomfort tell me so, and they have many photoshopped images and blurry contextless video clips to back up their claims.  I'd like to ask for my money back, but I'm afraid of losing my only access to the truth.  Instead, I will agree not to seek damages in exchange for one dose of the immortality elixir invented by the Count of St Germain.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Aliens
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59996 on: April 05, 2013, 06:18:11 am »

Thank you for the feedback!
We at Intertube Pharmaceuticals are happy that you are enjoying our products. Customer feedback is always important to us and lies at the heart of our operations. To show out appreciation, we would like to send you a weeks supply of trollbalm, free of charge* and invite you to our online membership program, where you will be informed of all the latest Intertube Pharmaceutical products. We know you love Intertube Pharmaceuticals, and we will keep working to bring you customer satisfaction.

Intertube Pharmaceuticals: Keeping all your tubes inter!
*Charges may apply

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #59997 on: April 05, 2013, 06:51:17 am »

Reading (and about) Time Cube makes me feel incredibly stupid. It's as if there's a message laid out right there but the words aren't written in a way that I can understand them.
Yeah, but has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59998 on: April 05, 2013, 09:57:39 am »

The idea behind time cube is very well known and used, but instead of four time zones, we use 24 around the world. Each time zone is separate by half an hour. We could have used 4, but 24 works better.
Umm...if you have 24 timezones, they'd be separated by 1 hour each, not half an hour.

Timecube is pretty good, but i read a book once (Harmonic 33) by a guy called Bruce Cathie, which was almost up to that level of crazy, and actually published. In that book he comes up with a whole new atomic theory based drawing arbitrary lines around the globe through UFO sighting sites, and a new Table Of The Elements based on the shape of the pyramids (his triangular table lacks any of the explanatory power about valencies, of the regular square ones though)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:03:33 am by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Pages: 1 ... 3998 3999 [4000] 4001 4002 ... 8167