Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3962 3963 [3964] 3965 3966 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472721 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59445 on: March 21, 2013, 02:53:21 pm »

The problem is eavesdropping busybodies like her make people less sympathetic to the victims of real harrassment.

Overhear some non-threatening jokes you don't like, vs. being shot in the face for daring to go to school.

Educated, financially stable women have fewer kids, which cuts overpopulation, which reduces strain on the environment, which might stop a total ecological collapse.

If you  read the article you would know that she wasn't just a busybody who overheard something that someone said.

She was having a conversation with another developer and the guy butted in with the jokes, she asked him to stop and he didn't.
Ummm, no she didn't.

I decided to do things differently this time and didn’t say anything to them directly

She admits herself that she didn't say anything to them. To me, that's where she loses some moral high ground. If she had asked them to stop, and they didn't, then they're asswipes. If they were just being goofy geek guys and riffing off the humour of the moment (lame as it was), then I don't think they deserve a wrath storm.

C'mon, tell me you can't see Phil Ken Sebben pulling this one?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:00:19 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #59446 on: March 21, 2013, 02:55:19 pm »

I must have missed that part of the article.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59447 on: March 21, 2013, 02:59:09 pm »

I'm totally on the author's side if she wants to talk about non-professionalism or whatever. And depending on the content of the jokes, they could've been sexist as well (I wasn't totally clear on the content of them from skimming the article). Mentioning dongles is not sexist.

If anything, I'd say assuming women are offended by sexual jokes by virtue of being women is sexist and prejudiced.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59448 on: March 21, 2013, 03:00:48 pm »

Am I a bad person for thinking "I wish more people would get fired for expressing a really bad sense of humour"?

Unless you mean making bad puns (which would mean I could never have a job again) I'm not sure. Humor is complicated.
Mostly it's just when people are just nowhere near as funny as they think they are. I don't mind when people do playful bad puns and such, but when they're just making jokes that just aren't that funny, but they obviously feel they're funny. It kind of bothers me.
I mean comedy is an art form, and even if I'm not the greatest artist on the block, I'm pretty acutely aware of it. When something is funny, I'm aware exactly why it's funny. When someone makes a really bad joke, or just executes a a good joke badly, it's quite often pretty damn painful.

TL;DR
Comedy can be pretty serious business for me.

EDIT: Also, yes, I'd probably easily wind up being fired from a job if bad humour were really an excuse to get fired.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59449 on: March 21, 2013, 03:03:30 pm »

Ah, but if they fall particularly flat, they're funny due to how horrible they are! :D
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59450 on: March 21, 2013, 03:06:40 pm »

Ah, but if they fall particularly flat, they're funny due to how horrible they are! :D
There's many jokes where the real punchline is how bad they are. They're the only ones I can tell.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59451 on: March 21, 2013, 03:08:16 pm »

I'm totally on the author's side if she wants to talk about non-professionalism or whatever. And depending on the content of the jokes, they could've been sexist as well (I wasn't totally clear on the content of them from skimming the article). Mentioning dongles is not sexist.

If anything, I'd say assuming women are offended by sexual jokes by virtue of being women is sexist and prejudiced.
My experience with jokes of that variety suggest that they were: 'I'd fork that repo. I'd fork it hard' and 'Hehe, I've got a huge dongle'
*Hugs*

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59452 on: March 21, 2013, 03:10:32 pm »

Neither of those strike me as sexist in any way.

Append "like a whore" to the end of the first one and you've got a sexist joke. You have to actually insult someone's gender, not just mention having sex or genitalia.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59453 on: March 21, 2013, 03:12:04 pm »

There's many jokes where the real punchline is how bad they are. They're the only ones I can tell.
This is true, there's ones that are so bad they're good, and there's ones where having a bad punchline is really part of the joke.

But on the other hand while there's "so bad it's good" jokes, there's also "so bad it's worse" jokes.

My experience with jokes of that variety suggest that they were: 'I'd fork that repo. I'd fork it hard' and 'Hehe, I've got a huge dongle'
Prime example, right here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59454 on: March 21, 2013, 03:20:54 pm »

The problem is eavesdropping busybodies like her make people less sympathetic to the victims of real harrassment.

Overhear some non-threatening jokes you don't like, vs. being shot in the face for daring to go to school.

I don't know how to put this politely, but please understand that I don't actively want to be offensive.  Classifying what women face in the Western world as "not real harassment" because it isn't the maximum bad outcome isn't helpful.  Being catcalled or working in an environment that trades in rape jokes is real harassment.  It's a real problem.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59455 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:14 pm »

I don't know how to put this politely, but please understand that I don't actively want to be offensive.  Classifying what women face in the Western world as "not real harassment" because it isn't the maximum bad outcome isn't helpful.  Being catcalled or working in an environment that trades in rape jokes is real harassment.  It's a real problem.
But nobody was being harassed in that context. Nobody at all.
It was just some shitty jokes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59456 on: March 21, 2013, 03:25:31 pm »

But nobody was being harassed in that context. Nobody at all.
It was just some shitty jokes.
And most likely the said shitty jokes where being made assuming that the person they where with would be the only person to ever hear them.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59457 on: March 21, 2013, 03:27:15 pm »

Yes, I've already posted about that quite a bit.  I may have misunderstood kaenneth's point or opinion, but what I was trying to do was clarify that the beginning of harassment starts quite a bit earlier than "shot in the face."  He may or may not hold this opinion already; however, most of the people I see who make this dichotomy fall into the "not" category.

Bleh.

And most likely the said shitty jokes where being made assuming that the person they where with would be the only person to ever hear them.

At a conference?  Really?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59458 on: March 21, 2013, 03:28:54 pm »

At a conference?  Really?
Yes. They where sitting next to each other, in a crowd, that was (mostly) paying attention to the speaker. In that situation, when people talk, they talk to whoever is next to them, not to whoever happens to be around.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59459 on: March 21, 2013, 03:31:34 pm »

Okay.  Well, in Vector's sad for the day, my best friend didn't even tell me she was back from spring break and I'm going to get back an essay on which I did rather badly.

Pages: 1 ... 3962 3963 [3964] 3965 3966 ... 8167