Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3953 3954 [3955] 3956 3957 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9475880 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59310 on: March 19, 2013, 02:30:49 am »

The company itself seems legit... weird of them to do that.
I have a feeling that their recruiters get paid by the application.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59311 on: March 19, 2013, 03:49:24 am »

Got to agree with Skyrunner here; after a bit of research into Epic Systems, I'm not finding the bad press I'd expect from a scandal or spam ring or something. Was this just your personal experience, Max, or have you heard the same thing happened to others as well?

Found some employee testimonials on the talk page of the Epic Systems wikipedia article. The biggest concerns seem to be that the systems and programming languages they use are outdated, so job skills learned haven't had many applications to former employees' future work:
I worked there for 3.5 years starting back in 2002. Some of the item in the WTF article are true, but back then most technical employees were trained on VB and could write dev projects periodically. The culture was ueber-hippie there, the pay was terrible, and the hours were pretty tough. BUT - most people back then had pretty steep careers and lots of customer contact, enabling them to leave for more prestigious customer facing jobs in the tech consulting industry. Now.. why people like me didn't get ANY equity in this fast growing company is beyond me. Many foreign nationals were tied in due to visa and green card processes. However, that looks like an awesome thing today where many companys don't sponsor foreign talent at all anymore.

A Forbes article from 2004 mentions Epic Systems in a pretty neutral-to-positive light as well:
Judith Faulkner had just completed a doctorate at UW in computer sciences when she launched Epic Systems in 1979. It started off computerizing records for physicians, and today Epic allows networks of hospitals, doctors and providers to share information and images. Growing at 40% a year since 2000, privately held Epic (2003 revenues: $107 million, according to Healthcare Informatics) is in the process of building a $130 million corporate campus in nearby Verona. WARF had nothing to do with this venture, except in creating a thriving environment of entrepreneurialism and science. On a small scale the university and WARF are doing for the local economy what Stanford did over the past half-century to create Silicon Valley.

That said, you might want to look for work that doesn't require you to be completely uprooted. Unless part of the allure is traveling and seeing the land of the cheeseheads (though the Dells, Great Lakes, and Dunes are nice too), slightly more local work might be good to shoot for, especially if you want to keep in touch with folks from campus.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 03:54:38 am by Solifuge »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59312 on: March 19, 2013, 03:50:56 am »

Well lets be honest, they have to hire somebody at some point. Even if they blanket the market, it is still worth following up.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #59313 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:27 am »

Not to sway things any one way or the other, but SG works for a company he deplores and apparently that gets very highly rated by the media. :/

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #59314 on: March 19, 2013, 04:16:58 am »

Not to sway things any one way or the other, but SG works for a company he deplores and apparently that gets very highly rated by the media. :/

One of Fortune's top 100 places to work for, even  ::)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59315 on: March 19, 2013, 10:13:25 am »

Blurghhh.....so sleepy...

Think I finally hit the wall from pulling these 14-hour days.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59316 on: March 19, 2013, 10:54:41 am »

Got to agree with Skyrunner here; after a bit of research into Epic Systems, I'm not finding the bad press I'd expect from a scandal or spam ring or something. Was this just your personal experience, Max, or have you heard the same thing happened to others as well?
This happened to myself and a bunch of people in the retail industry all at the same time. Reps apparently get hit hard with this behavior because we have big names attached to our resume (See: HP, even though it's actually Marketsource under the HP contract), and it kind of artificially inflates our worth. My boss and I, along with four of his other reps, were all competing for the same job in Madison, and it turns out that they weren't qualified, either.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59317 on: March 19, 2013, 11:06:49 am »

Yeah, I took care of it.  I really, really don't want to relocate, though.  I've got much bigger and better plans here.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59318 on: March 19, 2013, 11:17:08 am »

Besides, Berkeley has nice weather. I like my biome, but I could do without the Freezing times of year.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59319 on: March 19, 2013, 11:19:32 am »

I've got plans for research over the summer and taking a graduate course with my mentor in the fall, and also playing my role-playing game with my pals and all that stuff.  I really, really want to stay here :<
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59320 on: March 19, 2013, 11:24:53 am »

My Fave Screenshot Program, Puush didn't take pictures of my screen so I had to use paint and tinypic.com to get it uploaded. That and the Google Chrome webbrowser started crashing for no reason and I had to duck back to Firefox and thus lost alot of my bookmarks...

On the plus side, my unhappiness was adjusted by the fact that CAPTCHA Rickrolled me...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59321 on: March 19, 2013, 12:05:02 pm »

Thats nearly as good as the "Lord Emostab" one, assuming its genuine :P
This is a blank sig.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59322 on: March 19, 2013, 12:10:40 pm »

Thats nearly as good as the "Lord Emostab" one, assuming its genuine :P
It is.... I was like.... "OH COME ON..."
Just after Puush failed to do a screenshot and having to go back to the old method of screenshotting this comes up...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59323 on: March 19, 2013, 12:23:59 pm »

So my friend had been looking for a job for... nearly a year now, with no luck. A while back a friend of hers told her that she could get a job where he worked, which was apparently some sort of marketing firm. Yesterday she phoned up for an interview, which I was around for on account of having had stuff to do that involved her on that day.

The entire interview was really weird, they were offering over 12 dollars an hour, and said she could work whatever hours she wanted, and that she would never have to go door to door or do telemarketing... It all sounded way too good to be true. Some hours later she tells me that she found out it's a pyramid scheme...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #59324 on: March 19, 2013, 12:40:41 pm »

Another family member in trouble with the law, again.... Yay? :(

Worst part: the parents. There's a reason he keeps getting into trouble and it's them.

Nevermind that I'm fighting for a job at the moment; no no, why should that matter? I should drop everything to help them out for free, again.... Also they have the audacity to be demanding....

Nevermind that this is making me look bad, again, there's the somewhat more important matter of screwing up the kid's life.... You know, how that shouldn't be happening and all...? Crazy Idea, I know.... I'll shut up now, by which I mean become louder and more annoying to them.

Welp. I'm thoroughly tired of this bullshit. It has officially reached rigamarole status and I'm about ready to start screaming at them until something that can be mistaken for smart breaches the impenetrable wall of stupid.

Mood:
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 3953 3954 [3955] 3956 3957 ... 8167