Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3924 3925 [3926] 3927 3928 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9481230 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #58875 on: March 10, 2013, 10:59:56 am »

-snip-
Well, you know how to get ahold of me, and I'd be happy to kneecap the bastard for you.

"Why are you doing this to me, little man!?"
"You pissed off the wrong lawyer."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58876 on: March 10, 2013, 11:14:11 am »

-snip-
Well, you know how to get ahold of me, and I'd be happy to kneecap the bastard for you.

"Why are you doing this to me, little man!?"
"You pissed off the wrong lawyer."
*pictures Truean walking in with a trenchcoat and a flourish*
"Say hello to my little friend!"

*MaximumZero pops out*
"Hello."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58877 on: March 10, 2013, 03:40:55 pm »

My computer operator position is being converted into a standing position, despite near-unanimous opposition from all workers in the facility, and despite the fact that management has been notified that several studies suggest that, for the type of work we do, standing increases the risk of major heart problems nearly ten times, and productivity drops anywhere from 35-54% percent.  We are paid performance bonuses, so this translates directly into a pay cut, and it's extremely bad for your health.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58878 on: March 10, 2013, 03:52:13 pm »

My computer operator position is being converted into a standing position, despite near-unanimous opposition from all workers in the facility, and despite the fact that management has been notified that several studies suggest that, for the type of work we do, standing increases the risk of major heart problems nearly ten times, and productivity drops anywhere from 35-54% percent.  We are paid performance bonuses, so this translates directly into a pay cut, and it's extremely bad for your health.
Have you considered getting the OSHA in on this (or if you are not from the USA, that country's equivalent)? Maybe find a way to make the info more public. Enough bad publicity should keep them in line.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58879 on: March 10, 2013, 03:59:07 pm »

I have contacted OSHA in a non-official capacity, and am waiting on a response. My company, however, has long been able to avoid actually dealing with the substance of OSHA complaints (for example, it is required by law to provide potable water at no charge to employees, but more often than not the only free source of water is the bathroom tap (it is illegal to drink from a bathroom fixture in the workplace) or the hose on the side of the building. The water coolers only seem to be filled when OSHA informs them that a complaint has been filed.) and OSHA is quite slow to begin with. It's also in our contract that we cannot sue the employer or go on strike.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58880 on: March 10, 2013, 04:07:23 pm »

What sort of company are you working for?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58881 on: March 10, 2013, 04:11:40 pm »

We sell books. I flip over a tote of books, enter the ISBN into the computer, and toss it into a box. In between breaks, only my arms move.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #58882 on: March 10, 2013, 04:24:25 pm »

How much trouble would you be in if you started a folding chair bussiness during breaks?

Appears to be quite an opportunity, depending on the amount of people.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #58883 on: March 10, 2013, 05:30:03 pm »

Thank you guys, some of your humor really helps at times. :)

Also people keep not showing up for office appointments, by which I mean the appointed clients. Not sure how I'm supposed to help them if they won't talk to me in any form: phone, face to face, nothin'....

I've noticed the ones who do come are the ones who are dragged there by relatives looking at them funny/staring them down. [shrugs]. This is followed by the inevitable, "you didn't do anything!" followed by me whipping our a sheet of phone calls made but not answered, and appointments scheduled but not attended.... Sometimes this is followed by silence or more screaming, either way....  It's not that I haven't heard the tune before. I have. I just got tired of the band....

In other news, new boss has gotten drunk to the point he needed to call me for a ride, which I'd usually be ok with, given that if he got an OVI (DUI) I'd end up possibly out of a job.... Except of course:

He. puked. in. my. car.... :(

Nice.... Nice.

I got enough of that from the bands I manage, thank you.... So now this one, doesn't really wanna admit him drinking like that should be well in his past.

He shouldn't be doing that, drinking I mean, that's my shtick and he's not even doing it right. Hell, half the reason I started managing bands was to sleep it off in the back room. Everybody knows you can't go to the competitishon (intentional spelling mistake TM) when you're outta practice like that.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58884 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:12 pm »

Also people keep not showing up for office appointments, by which I mean the appointed clients. Not sure how I'm supposed to help them if they won't talk to me in any form: phone, face to face, nothin'....
Any reason why they wouldn't? Personal reasons perhaps? Apathy or incompetence?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #58885 on: March 10, 2013, 05:37:44 pm »

Thank you guys, some of your humor really helps at times. :)

I've noticed the ones who do come are the ones who are dragged there by relatives looking at them funny/staring them down. [shrugs]. This is followed by the inevitable, "you didn't do anything!" followed by me whipping our a sheet of phone calls made but not answered, and appointments scheduled but not attended.... Sometimes this is followed by silence or more screaming, either way....  It's not that I haven't heard the tune before. I have. I just got tired of the band....

In other news, new boss has gotten drunk to the point he needed to call me for a ride, which I'd usually be ok with, given that if he got an OVI (DUI) I'd end up possibly out of a job.... Except of course:

He. puked. in. my. car.... :(

Nice.... Nice.

I got enough of that from the bands I manage, thank you.... So now this one, doesn't really wanna admit him drinking like that should be well in his past.

He shouldn't be doing that, drinking I mean, that's my shtick and he's not even doing it right. Hell, half the reason I started managing bands was to sleep it off in the back room. Everybody knows you can't go to the competitishon (intentional spelling mistake TM) when you're outta practice like that.

Hey, you're not getting fired any time soon.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #58886 on: March 10, 2013, 08:12:10 pm »

Any reason why they wouldn't? Personal reasons perhaps? Apathy or incompetence?

Fear. They have, for whatever reasons and through whatever experiences, developed a response to stress/pressure that involves (metaphorical) running away from the issues until they don't have to deal with them any longer. This response starts up regardless of whether the thing they are ignoring would actually help them or not (as one would imagine seeing a lawyer would) as long as it reminds them of the problem. Often involves building a facade of not giving a damn to protect themselves from/mislead judgement.

That's assuming you were wondering about the general type of people (which I got the feeling Truean was writing about), rather than the individuals of this latest missed appointments.
Love, scriver~

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #58887 on: March 10, 2013, 09:54:27 pm »

You know he's a keeper - only my best friends are allowed to vomit in my car!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58888 on: March 11, 2013, 12:18:00 am »

Ugh, really annoying guy dicking around and fucking up a roleplaying campaign I like.  Basically, he's going the whole "molest unconscious women" route in a rather realistic world, and keeps on trying to pass it off as "hey, I'm playing a horny 15-year-old, wouldn't you?"

He's probably going to get kicked out of the group, or at least talked to =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58889 on: March 11, 2013, 12:20:09 am »

Ugh, really annoying guy dicking around and fucking up a roleplaying campaign I like.  Basically, he's going the whole "molest unconscious women" route in a rather realistic world, and keeps on trying to pass it off as "hey, I'm playing a horny 15-year-old, wouldn't you?"

He's probably going to get kicked out of the group, or at least talked to =/
I know over 100 15-year olds, and probably have known about 300 over the course of my life and I can remember 2 that would do something like that.
So yeah, not exactly normal.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 3924 3925 [3926] 3927 3928 ... 8167