Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3922 3923 [3924] 3925 3926 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9478738 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #58845 on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:44 am »

I can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen anyone made fun of for having red hair/light complexion.

Probably because around here there's more than enough racial groups around here that it's just easier to hate on someone for being black or Hispanic. I'd be curious, from a sociological standpoint, to see if anti-redhead bias is more prevalent in places that are mostly homogenous Caucasian.

I think it's ingrained deeply enough in humans that even if we were all perfect clones, there would eventually be bias against clones with slight variations from the "base model".
If we were all perfect clones, there would be no variation.
Instead we would make a greater effort to hate people who are very old or young or acquire deformities due to injury or sickness or are poor or all those other reasons we attack people.
Well, with any process there's gonna be a few hiccups. Cloning is no exception. "Ooooh, look at Mr. Bent-nose there! And check out GTCACCA over there! We don't like your kind mingling with us GTCAGCGs, you amino acid-swapping freak!"

tl;dr People are assholes. Even clone people.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58846 on: March 08, 2013, 09:20:26 am »

Wow, this thread moved fast during the night.
I'm shocked.  I knew that redheads were a popular target of jokes, and was vaguely aware that some people were a little less than joking.  I never understood it, and thought there was probably some distant historical basis.  I had no idea anyone today was treated so horribly for their hair color.  I'm sorry that happened to you.
Wow, this thread moved fast during the night.

Basically, what was quoted above. I didn't think the "hate on redheads" was a real thing. Didn't mean to attack anyone with that :(.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58847 on: March 08, 2013, 09:23:26 am »

It's okay. Sorry for barking harshly. :P

I just saw red (heh, no pun intended) because I leapt to conclusions. I know you weren't to know what had happened to me regarding being a redhead. :)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58848 on: March 08, 2013, 09:25:30 am »

You still don't have a soul though...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58849 on: March 08, 2013, 09:30:30 am »

No soul? Of course us redheads have souls, you get one freckle for every one you take!

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #58850 on: March 08, 2013, 09:34:34 am »

I have a Seoul, but I think I have to give that back.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58851 on: March 08, 2013, 09:35:44 am »

Last time I had sole I got fishbones in my mouth.

And that's why I hate fish.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58852 on: March 08, 2013, 09:37:59 am »

No soul? Of course us redheads have souls, you get one freckle for every one you take!
... does placement of the freckle denote anything regarding the nature of the stolen soul?

Also, like. Non red heads. Freckles just a generic soul-stealing manifestation, or is it specific to redheads?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58853 on: March 08, 2013, 09:44:28 am »

... does placement of the freckle denote anything regarding the nature of the stolen soul?

Also, like. Non red heads. Freckles just a generic soul-stealing manifestation, or is it specific to redheads?
As far as I know it's specific to redheads, I'm not really familiar with the soul stealing practises of other hair types, and I don't think position says anything. Unless the positioning of freckles along my arms and chest is what imbues me with my exceptional strength.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58854 on: March 08, 2013, 11:40:42 am »

Since freckles are locations of abundant melanin (right? the joke falls apart if that's wrong), and there's a theory (the same way "White people are better because they have flatter faces! They're further away from apes! Therefore, better!" is a theory) that melanin increases strength, intelligence, stamina, etc, and that therefore, Black people are the master race.

That would mean your freckles are like... Little increases. Not as good as the Master Race, but still better than whitey over there (here).

... It's really hard to make a joke out of batshit racist insanity, isn't it?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58855 on: March 08, 2013, 11:48:27 am »

Ugh.  I'm still quite sick and the text I'm supposed to read for this research project is way too hard.  I might have to ask the teacher to put me with a different group.

EDIT: More specifically, it's multiple graduate courses past my knowledge base and the guy I'm working with took a grad course last semester on the topic of our project.  I'm fucked.  This is an undergrad course aimed at sophomores and I am totally boned.

Sent them an email and hopefully I'll be okay.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:06:59 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58856 on: March 08, 2013, 04:52:35 pm »

My hearing has become even worse over the last couple of days for no apparent reason. :(
It doesn't feel like that temporary deafness due to sinus problems, either.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58857 on: March 08, 2013, 04:58:28 pm »

Ugh.  I'm still quite sick and the text I'm supposed to read for this research project is way too hard.  I might have to ask the teacher to put me with a different group.

EDIT: More specifically, it's multiple graduate courses past my knowledge base and the guy I'm working with took a grad course last semester on the topic of our project.  I'm fucked.  This is an undergrad course aimed at sophomores and I am totally boned.

Sent them an email and hopefully I'll be okay.
What's the research topic? Maybe we can help.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58858 on: March 08, 2013, 05:01:28 pm »

Blech.

Found out that one of the guys I was interested in is Very Catholic, and the other one has started making date rape jokes in class.  This is obviously not a blanket judgment on all Catholic guys and all people who ~just happen~ to make date rape jokes, and I'm sure we'll remain great friends, but they're no-gos for romance.

. . . Mapping class group of the torus, Dehn twists, covering spaces, homotopy equivalence, braids, etc., etc.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58859 on: March 08, 2013, 05:03:51 pm »

Blech.

Found out that one of the guys I was interested in is Very Catholic, and the other one has started making date rape jokes in class.  This is obviously not a blanket judgment on all Catholic guys and all people who ~just happen~ to make date rape jokes, and I'm sure we'll remain great friends, but they're no-gos for romance.

. . . Mapping class group of the torus, Dehn twists, covering spaces, homotopy equivalence, braids, etc., etc.
Right, well see...first, you uh.....that is....yeah, i got nothing.  :-[

Other than toruses make me hungry for doughnuts. Mmmmmm, doughnuts.

Pages: 1 ... 3922 3923 [3924] 3925 3926 ... 8167