Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3914 3915 [3916] 3917 3918 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9475751 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #58725 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:40 am »

So I've been chipping away at writing this thing I've been working on, and I thought I was doing pretty well, but I'm really starting to hit the cold feet phase of writing I always seem to run into. Ugh, not sure I'm gonna be able to keep writing it.

ZE FRANK ADVICE POWERS ACTIVATE.

Form of: Hyperlink
It's less that I feel uninspired, and more that I keep second guessing myself and thinking, "this is shit"... Which I know is something that I shouldn't let it stop me because shit is relative, and hey who cares if it's shit?
...But it stops me anyway.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58726 on: March 05, 2013, 11:08:55 am »

So I've been chipping away at writing this thing I've been working on, and I thought I was doing pretty well, but I'm really starting to hit the cold feet phase of writing I always seem to run into. Ugh, not sure I'm gonna be able to keep writing it.

Been there, doing that right now.  I'm at the phase where I just want to read my story instead of writing it.  Original fiction is so much more difficult to write than fan fiction and RPing (about the only two things I've had extensive experience with).

The suggestion that I usually see in regards to this is to just plow through the uninteresting bits and come back later to prune and spice up the story.  That let me break through a barrier that had me on hold for like a month.  Still, I'm at about 30 of an approximate 120 or so pages, which can be kind of daunting to think about, especially when I've only got the most basic ideas of what happens during the rest of the story.

It's less that I feel uninspired, and more that I keep second guessing myself and thinking, "this is shit"... Which I know is something that I shouldn't let it stop me because shit is relative, and hey who cares if it's shit?

Yep, I know this feeling too.  It's one of the reasons I've only ever shown a very small amount of my writing to the public.  It's hard to get past the feeling that it's not good enough, but I find that taking a second or third pass at a story after it's 'done' to polish it helps with both the quality and your perceived satisfaction with it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #58727 on: March 05, 2013, 12:27:11 pm »

Most songs make me sad now. I'm not sure whether to post this in Sad/WTF thread. All I know is I'm probably going to have to throw out most of my vinyls at this point.
You can dance if you want to. You just have to find some happy music for a while.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58728 on: March 05, 2013, 01:21:43 pm »

Don't you just love it when your friend constanty insults you and calls you a failure, then decides to interfere in his way with my little brother to "prevent him from becoming another you". I wish I had people that actually apreciate me for friends.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #58729 on: March 05, 2013, 01:31:32 pm »

Don't you just love it when your friend constanty insults you and calls you a failure
Only best friends and creepy grandmas are allowed to do that, and it doesn't sound like he is either of those two.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58730 on: March 05, 2013, 01:42:34 pm »

Thing is, he IS my best friend. Mainly because of the lack of better friends. And the insults aren't really creative anymore. It's just constantly "girl, nerd, loser".

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58731 on: March 05, 2013, 01:44:37 pm »

....I'm pretty sure that's not a friend.  ???

That's one of them there...umm....what's that other thing? Oh yeah, JERKASS.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58732 on: March 05, 2013, 01:44:59 pm »

... That's not a good friendship. o.o

In other news, everything makes me sad right now. Everything. :/ So tired.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58733 on: March 05, 2013, 01:50:40 pm »

Thing is, he IS my best friend. Mainly because of the lack of better friends. And the insults aren't really creative anymore. It's just constantly "girl, nerd, loser".

I think, assuming you want to keep yourself above the muck, you should sit this person down and explain that this namecalling bullspit ain't happening any longer.  Either he finds the gall to at least use your proper name or a more positive nickname than you have no time for this fool.  This kind of behavior is usually indicitive of his own problems. 

Ehh, for lack of a better example swimming around my head.
  I think of a plain girl who hangs out with a flat-out ugly girl to make herself look better.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58734 on: March 05, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »

In other news, everything makes me sad right now. Everything. :/ So tired.
Even kittens?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58735 on: March 05, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »

I think, assuming you want to keep yourself above the muck, you should sit this person down and explain that this namecalling bullspit ain't happening any longer.  Either he finds the gall to at least use your proper name or a more positive nickname than you have no time for this fool.  This kind of behavior is usually indicitive of his own problems. 

Ehh, for lack of a better example swimming around my head.
  I think of a plain girl who hangs out with a flat-out ugly girl to make herself look better.
I think you just called miauw an ugly girl.  :-\

I'm familiar with this kind of behavior in groups of guys (it's analogous to pack behavior, where there's an "omega male" at the bottom of the totem pole that gets all the abuse and aggression, and sticks with the pack because it's still a better perceived outcome than solo existence) but not so much 1-on-1 behavior.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:21:48 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58736 on: March 05, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »

I just don't have a choice. It's either this or walking around by myself one hour in the day, wich generally gives me time to think about various things, the majority of wich are not happies and just get me down a lot.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58737 on: March 05, 2013, 02:03:38 pm »

:'(  This makes me sad.

Say, does your school have clubs or some such?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58738 on: March 05, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »

Nope, not that I know of. I highly doubt that there would be a club I'd feel good in tough. At least my classmates respect me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58739 on: March 05, 2013, 03:24:19 pm »

[...]

Compared to planning and practicing, actually executing plans is really, really hard. When you're still planning things out, everything is idealized and completely within your control, and feels like it has infinite potential. While you start actually setting these plans into stone though, you lose that sense of infinite potential that you had. You may begin to feel like the execution is being bogged down by itself, and you can't "make it better" without going back and scrapping the whole thing.

Revision isn't a bad thing, but if you let yourself keep doing that, you'll never go anywhere, and you're liable to find yourself trapped in a creative loop. Just recognize that nothing is ever going to be as amazing as you initially envisioned... in all honesty, the first time you try things, they're likely to blow varying degrees of hardness. Just try to recognize that the act of actually sitting down and DOING it is building your experience more than any amount of practice or planning can, and making you better for the future.

It's hard to notice how we improve from one moment to the next... it happens in subtle ways. Keep at it, though, and in time you'll be able to look back and see just how far you've come. If it helps, when you're worried about your skills or the end product not being up to snuff, just keep telling yourself that your pencils are plenty sharp already. And even the ones that aren't so sharp can still leave a mark.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:32:33 pm by Solifuge »
Pages: 1 ... 3914 3915 [3916] 3917 3918 ... 8167