Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3872 3873 [3874] 3875 3876 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9474032 times)

_forgotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #58095 on: February 12, 2013, 08:56:49 pm »

This new possible supervolcano is bigger than Yellowstone i think. "Each of them are approximately 3,000 miles (4,830 km) across." http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ebsvn1hyhlnjpg/original.jpg
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:58:52 pm by _forgotten »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58096 on: February 12, 2013, 08:58:27 pm »

Pffft, tiny compared to the Siberian one. Call me back when you got a real big one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberian_Traps

Lasted 1 million years, covered half of modern Siberia.

_forgotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58097 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:31 pm »

Still every supervolcano = extinction so it does not matter which one is bigger :P

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #58098 on: February 12, 2013, 11:16:12 pm »

The last time a volcano this large erupted, humanity was reduced to about 30 fertile females. We're not even sure how many died.

Got a source on that? That sounds awesome to read about. I assume this took place waaaaay back in the day, when cavemen were clubbing dinosaurs for meat and the aliens were sinking Atlantis with a meteor.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58099 on: February 13, 2013, 12:14:43 am »

I have to wonder if the student body would actually support such an "alternative prom". My high school experience was probably pretty different from one in small town Indiana, but students I know definitely wouldn't have tolerated that kind of bigotry.

Spent most of my childhood in small town Indiana.

At the small town high school I went to, a couple of my friends tried to attend homecoming as a couple to get the discount.  They were subsequently barred from entry to the event at all.  I think there were only a dozen or so students at that school who weren't raging homophobics, so no one cared.  I regularly heard incredibly disgusting and degrading gay jokes there, and everyone would laugh.  Part of the basis for the bullying I suffered there was people suspected I was gay, purely on the basis that I was socially awkward, and never had a girlfriend.  My small group of friends (who I unfortunately only met the very last year I went there) reported that school for all kinds of abuses, and somehow they managed to stonewall the ICLU and turn back health inspectors.

Thing is, the fact that we're hearing about this actually represents a step forward. If she'd said it fifteen, maybe even ten years ago, we'd never know about it.

But this was about 15 years ago.  I wonder what it's like there now.  My experience with Indiana is the same I hear about most places.  Rural areas are extremely conservative, cities are more liberal-leaning, and suburbs are very mixed.  Basically if you travel more than half an hour outside of Indianapolis or Bloomington, you're in god and guns land... and meth... sooo much meth.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58100 on: February 13, 2013, 12:27:51 am »

The last time a volcano this large erupted, humanity was reduced to about 30 fertile females. We're not even sure how many died.

Got a source on that? That sounds awesome to read about. I assume this took place waaaaay back in the day, when cavemen were clubbing dinosaurs for meat and the aliens were sinking Atlantis with a meteor.
I was mistaken about the number, it was 3,000-10,000 humans, and thus 1,500-5,000 women.

The 30 female figure is cheetahs, and in fact, to this very day, the genetics of cheetahs are so similar due to this bottleneck that you can can use a skin graft from one cheetah on any other cheetah without it being rejected. It also makes it difficult for them to reproduce, so not all good.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58101 on: February 13, 2013, 06:48:31 am »

Today we say goodbye to DrPoo, a valuable community member. I'll miss him. I also hope he makes it fine and gets a good life, she damn deserves it.

E: Aw, why do I keep doing that. If you're reading this Poo, sorry.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:31:52 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58102 on: February 13, 2013, 07:09:18 am »

Today we say goodbye to DrPoo, a valuable community member. I'll miss her. I also hope she makes it fine and gets a good life, she damn deserves it.
Fixed!
But, well, otherwise indeed.
I wish her best of luck in her future endeavors, so on and so forth.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #58103 on: February 13, 2013, 08:23:21 am »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58104 on: February 13, 2013, 10:17:29 am »

Wait, what happened?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58105 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:18 am »

Poo left the forums. To not hurt us and herself. I talked to it about her, but she's certain.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58106 on: February 13, 2013, 10:29:04 am »

Well as long as she's not hurting herself or doing anything rash.  :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58107 on: February 13, 2013, 10:32:00 am »

Well if you catch when people signed up you kinda realise that people only stay here for 1 or 2 years.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58108 on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:36 am »

...I'm on 4+ (as are you).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58109 on: February 13, 2013, 11:06:31 am »

Yeah, I'm halfway through my third. Then again, I do just lurk now.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 3872 3873 [3874] 3875 3876 ... 8167