Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3871 3872 [3873] 3874 3875 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9474099 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #58080 on: February 12, 2013, 04:42:44 pm »

I have to wonder if the student body would actually support such an "alternative prom". My high school experience was probably pretty different from one in small town Indiana, but students I know definitely wouldn't have tolerated that kind of bigotry.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58081 on: February 12, 2013, 04:57:42 pm »

Just a decent CS school, and hope for Stanford as my Master's degree school.
The university here in Toledo might be a good choice for you. It's got fairly good soft computer programs, and is already extremely popular with foreign students.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58082 on: February 12, 2013, 07:10:20 pm »

My sister took back her cat sunday and I am really missing her. (the cat, not my sister)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58084 on: February 12, 2013, 08:09:06 pm »

The teacher's obviously being thrown to the wolves, though, given the response statements from pretty much every authority in the town. That's more than a little depressing in and of itself; the idea couldn't possibly have gone forward without approval from more than a single teacher, but now that it caught the national eye it's standard "commentary does not reflect the views of etc. etc.". So the institutional problem won't be addressed, and it will likely be treated as the actions of an individual.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #58085 on: February 12, 2013, 08:12:02 pm »

Thing is, the fact that we're hearing about this actually represents a step forward. If she'd said it fifteen, maybe even ten years ago, we'd never know about it.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58086 on: February 12, 2013, 08:25:06 pm »

The teacher's obviously being thrown to the wolves, though, given the response statements from pretty much every authority in the town. That's more than a little depressing in and of itself; the idea couldn't possibly have gone forward without approval from more than a single teacher, but now that it caught the national eye it's standard "commentary does not reflect the views of etc. etc.". So the institutional problem won't be addressed, and it will likely be treated as the actions of an individual.

Having reread the article. there's no indication that the "straight prom" ever had anything to do with either the school or even the church. From the article, it appears that a small group of individuals acting as private citizens held a meeting at the church (because small towns rarely have the sort of meeting rooms or banquet facilities larger communities have, the church is often used to organize everything; as in many cases it's among the only facilities large enough to hold a significant number of people) to discuss setting up their own version of the festivities. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

_forgotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58087 on: February 12, 2013, 08:36:16 pm »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58088 on: February 12, 2013, 08:38:19 pm »

If we can't deal with a supervolcano in 100 million years, we deserve to die.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58089 on: February 12, 2013, 08:45:07 pm »

Hear hear. If we're not making planets, nevermind saving one, by that point, we have failed as a species and it's time to give up so something else can get a go at things.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58090 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:48 pm »

I don't even see why it would kill us. Ashes may be dangerous, but we could easily filter the air or whatever. Dwarves survive live some time under rain of vomit, blood and such.p
His conclusions are also a bit dubious. Moving molten pile of rocks doesn't necessarily equals volcano. And, predictions over such length of time, while they don't know much ...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58091 on: February 12, 2013, 08:51:31 pm »

I don't think you realize quite how extreme this would be. The last time a volcano this large erupted, humanity was reduced to about 30 fertile females. We're not even sure how many died.

Most buildings would be destroyed by the ash in a few hours. There wouldn't be summer for years and all our crops would die. The volcanic ash will turn into a concrete-like substance if it encounters the moisture in your lungs.
No Gods, No Masters.

_forgotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58092 on: February 12, 2013, 08:53:05 pm »

This is picture how it looks like underneath the ocean http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ebsvn1hyhlnjpg/original.jpg .

"The first scenario is a "hotspot plume," the kind of large scale geological event that happened about 2 million years ago at Wyoming's Yellowstone caldera — an eruption that covered North America in blanket of volcanic ash."

"The second possibility is a flood basalt eruption — a more protracted event similar to what happened in India's Deccan Traps about 65 million years ago. In this scenario, a large and volatile volcanic region spews lava to the surface over an extended period of time — continuous eruptions that can last thousands of years, resulting in large igneous provinces. A similar thing happened in the Pacific Northwest's Columbia River region about 17 million years ago."

"The two piles, which rest on the boundary between the core and the mantle, are located underneath the Pacific Ocean and under Africa (we're talking really deep under Africa). Each of them are approximately 3,000 miles (4,830 km) across."
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:55:38 pm by _forgotten »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #58093 on: February 12, 2013, 08:54:15 pm »

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:53:30 pm by penguinofhonor »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58094 on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:32 pm »

You're also looking at a mass extinction event, and total crop failure for decades or centuries.

BTW, these supervolcanoes don't occur "every 100 million years", the article states they take 100 million years to go from a hotspot to a fully-grown super-volcano. The Yellowstone one has a major eruption every million years or so, and there are multiple sites around the world like this (Yellowstone was only mentioned because it's in the USA)

For the basalt-flow volcanoes i was watching a documentary about the basalt-flow volcano in Siberia 250 million years ago - it erupted for about 500,000 years and the lava pool covered basically the entirety of Siberia, it wiped out 95%+ of life on Earth.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:57:47 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 3871 3872 [3873] 3874 3875 ... 8167