Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3862 3863 [3864] 3865 3866 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471617 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57945 on: February 06, 2013, 09:18:48 pm »

Eh, didn't he supposedly live to over 900(0?!)? That's a bit of a stretch for our current medical technology, even with proper nutrition and exercise. Then again, as previously mentioned the technology is getting better all the time.
969, according to Google. I'm going to go with "Yeah, right," on this one and just say that Sky still has lots and lots of time to do whatever she wants.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #57946 on: February 06, 2013, 09:20:27 pm »

Hilarious theory : what if you CAN live forever, just very few people who get old want to?
You can still be killed by bullits, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure etc, but teleomere (I think it is?) shortening, or actual aging, doesn't happen unless you WANT to die. :P

THE GOVERNMENT KILL THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE REALLY OLD AS THEY TAKE UP TAX MONEY

IT'S ALL A PLAN

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57947 on: February 06, 2013, 09:22:37 pm »

Hilarious theory : what if you CAN live forever, just very few people who get old want to?
You can still be killed by bullits, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure etc, but teleomere (I think it is?) shortening, or actual aging, doesn't happen unless you WANT to die. :P

THE GOVERNMENT KILL THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE REALLY OLD AS THEY TAKE UP TAX MONEY

IT'S ALL A PLAN

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #57948 on: February 06, 2013, 09:23:23 pm »

So manythings I want to try, and so little time to do them. :(
You've got another good 70-80+ years. There's time.
Some things can't wait :(
Like the slew of programming technology I want to learn and take advantage of before college, or making stuff, or reading, while simultaneously keeping up a grade in a highly competitive environment, and score well on a battery of standardized tests that aren't exactly easy by high school standards... @_@ Then uncertainty whether what I'm doing even counts, and the feeling of inadequacy that visits every so often.

E: Aahhh! Ninjas approaching from all eight cardinal directions, and sixteen more I was previously unaware of!
* Skyrunner is very confused :/ 

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57949 on: February 06, 2013, 09:26:13 pm »

What would you call the 24 directions that would be the 3d equivalent to the 2d cardinal directions?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #57950 on: February 06, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »

I think I'd go with north, south, east, west, up, down, queer, normal, google, and sweet.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57951 on: February 06, 2013, 09:28:14 pm »

Like the slew of programming technology I want to learn and take advantage of before college, or making stuff, or reading, while simultaneously keeping up a grade in a highly competitive environment, and score well on a battery of standardized tests that aren't exactly easy by high school standards... @_@ Then uncertainty whether what I'm doing even counts, and the feeling of inadequacy that visits every so often.

E: Aahhh! Ninjas approaching from all eight cardinal directions, and sixteen more I was previously unaware of!

More post-ninjas just gives your post a greater chance of being insightful and relevant. It's one of the corollaries to Conservation of Ninjutsu. That aside, don't feel inadequate. At the very least you've probably done more productive things with your life than I have. Alternatively, existence as a self-aware intelligence is in and of itself important and meaningful. I'm probably the last person in the world who should be spouting optimistic platitudes, but things are rarely as bad as they seem. Unless you've been buried in a pit of spiders, in that case they probably are.

Also, sidebackways.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57952 on: February 06, 2013, 09:30:08 pm »

More post-ninjas just gives your post a greater chance of being insightful and relevant. It's one of the corollaries to Conservation of Ninjutsu. That aside, don't feel inadequate. At the very least you've probably done more productive things with your life than I have. Alternatively, existence as a self-aware intelligence is in and of itself important and meaningful. I'm probably the last person in the world who should be spouting optimistic platitudes, but things are rarely as bad as they seem. Unless you've been buried in a pit of spiders, in that case they probably are.

Also, sidebackways.
The only proper way to wear a shirt.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #57953 on: February 06, 2013, 09:35:09 pm »

Your mileage may vary, but I learned more Spanish after 10 hours of Rosetta Stone than I did after 2 semesters of it taught by a native-speaking professor. Granted Rosetta Stone came after, so it was building on a foundation I already had, but I liked the emphasis on... schematic learning? Don't know what you'd call it, but I like how they throw you into the language, and use your brains own method of classifying differences to learn language naturally, rather than starting with studying the mechanics of a new language.
The problem with Rosetta Stone with Japanese, especially if you're learning with a goal of eventually being able to read it, is that speaking the language itself isn't really the most difficult part, it's the kanji, and Rosetta Stone doesn't really prepare you for that at all. It can be helpful if you want to put emphasis on speech but reading is generally agreed on as the big hurdle for Japanese.

What I'd recommend is picking up the kana and then moving on to either Mitamura's Let's Learn Kanji (which is what I used) or Heisig's Remembering the Kanji, depending on what style of learning you prefer. Then, armed with a good dictionary, start reading. And if you're going to use Rosetta Stone, which may be helpful for speaking, don't use it as your main focus. And keep a particle dictionary on hand.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #57954 on: February 06, 2013, 09:48:08 pm »

http://www.advocate.com/politics/prop-8/2013/02/06/mormons-evangelicals-ask-supreme-court-ignore-science-gay-parents

"Dear Supreme Court, please ignore all that stuff saying it's ok to be gay...."

:(
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57955 on: February 06, 2013, 10:24:22 pm »

Remember that this is the Supreme Court, which generally rules on the constitutionality of things. Their argument boils down to "nothing in the constitution says people have to make laws that make sense," which is true.

The funny part is they pretty much flat out admit that the scientific evidence is correct.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57956 on: February 06, 2013, 10:27:18 pm »

You can still be killed by bullits, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure etc,
Which is pretty much how people die of old age currently.

Edit : But I'm pretty sure there's some people that thinks it's a real conspiracy.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57957 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:29 pm »

Realized that I hate my community ._.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57958 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:39 pm »

http://www.advocate.com/politics/prop-8/2013/02/06/mormons-evangelicals-ask-supreme-court-ignore-science-gay-parents

"Dear Supreme Court, please ignore all that stuff saying it's ok to be gay...."

:(
That's disgusting. Someone needs to teach these assholes a lesson.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57959 on: February 06, 2013, 10:52:10 pm »

What would you call the 24 directions that would be the 3d equivalent to the 2d cardinal directions?

I think you mean 26 directions... (3^3 - 1)

But the simple answer is that x/y planar directions are North, East, South, West, with Northeast etc for the diagonals.

With Up/Down for the z-Axis, that could make 3D directions things like "Up-northeast", "Down-east" etc.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 10:54:27 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 3862 3863 [3864] 3865 3866 ... 8167