Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3855 3856 [3857] 3858 3859 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9467239 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57840 on: February 02, 2013, 07:58:10 am »

I guess I'll wait and see, but I can't help feeling disappointed. That was one of my favorite books.

Everything from Hollywood these days disappoints me: flatmate wanted to watch the new Total Recall movie, so I d'l'd it. I want my 118 minutes back!

I think the question we all want to know the answer to is this: Is the woman with 3 boobies still in it?
This is a blank sig.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57841 on: February 02, 2013, 08:12:39 am »

Yes, actually she is! Except she's a prostitute in a ghetto on Earth and appears much earlier in the story. She's just about the only story element that survived the remake, actually! 50% less plot, 200% more explosions.

EDIT: Here's the top review on imdb, making all the same points I just did, funnily enough :\

I wish I could recall the last two hours of my life. I really thought this movie would be fun - not good, mind you - but fun. A re-make of an old classic with an even bigger budget, better actors, and today's special effects would be worth 8 bucks. Plus Jessica Biel is sexy as hell. I was rewarded for my rare optimism by poor acting (seriously, the robots were more engaging); cliché dialogue (at one point, the villain actually said darkly, "Go handle it" to his henchman); and unpredictable plot-turns (the audience was kept guessing what the hell was going on). And these were all carefully scripted for the sole purpose of getting to the next action sequence - none of which had anything to do with the original movie. The only call-back to the original title was the appearance triple-titted hooker. No need to explain how the hell a regular human came to have these mammoth milk-monsters, because there are three of them. I should have walked out after they made their five-second cameo. I would have been happier.

The synposis from wikipedia should underline just how retarded the setting of this version of Total Recall is:

At the end of 21st Century, a global war devastates the Earth. The remaining habitable territory is at minimum and is divided into two — the United Federation of Britain (UFB) and the Colony (Australia). Many residents of the Colony travel to the UFB to work in their factories via "the Fall", a gravity elevator, which travels through the Earth. A Resistance operating in the UFB seeks to improve life in the Colony.

Yeah, the only places people live in The Future are a high-tech Britain and Australia yet they almost all sport American accents as I recall, and travel back and forth is via an underground magnetic space elevator that goes through the Earth's core. Apparently they can't build a dome on the surface anywhere else or fly aircraft, but they can build 10000km tunnels through magma.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:26:36 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57842 on: February 02, 2013, 08:56:44 am »

I just fucking hate my life.

I wonder if I struggle with my own mortality too much. Every now and again, not all the time mind you but right now definitely, I feel that society is simply structured so people can peacefully and amiably march from the cradle to the grave.

Twenty three years old, almost twenty-four now, but I feel so old, like I'm a person that's getting ready to die. I'm so afraid of death, cause it feels like my life hasn't even started yet. When I say that society is structured this way, I look around and it just feels like everyone is comfortable going through all their early years drawing this little box for themselves, and then they're just supposed to live inside it for the rest of their lives and be happy with it. I feel, growing up, since I was always so lonely and without guidance, and drew my box so close to myself that I can barely move around in it, cause I never knew I'd need more space than just enough to lie down in. Now I need to devote time to figuring out how to break this goddamn box.

I hate being lonely still, everyone here should know that though I don't post here much anymore. Sometimes I feel that society functions just because people are afraid of being lonely and afraid of dying, those are the root causes of everything that happens in the world around me it seems. People just working to content themselves with the little bit of social interaction they get and the pay they receive. Apparently at some point in people's lives, they content themselves so thoroughly that they pass through life without feeling the transition of time, and decades pass with little changing, and this seems to be how they make this little box they've drawn themselves into their permanent home, and eventually their coffin. The little box is my coffin.

I don't know what to do with myself. I'm not sure what to do. I'm just so scared all the time on the inside. TRANSPARENTEDIT: Also people usually don't respond when I'm trying to say something meaningful, and that makes me sad.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 12:55:13 pm by JoshuaFH »

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57843 on: February 02, 2013, 02:09:40 pm »

I wonder if I struggle with my own mortality too much. Every now and again, not all the time mind you but right now definitely, I feel that society is simply structured so people can peacefully and amiably march from the cradle to the grave.

Twenty three years old, almost twenty-four now, but I feel so old, like I'm a person that's getting ready to die. I'm so afraid of death, cause it feels like my life hasn't even started yet. When I say that society is structured this way, I look around and it just feels like everyone is comfortable going through all their early years drawing this little box for themselves, and then they're just supposed to live inside it for the rest of their lives and be happy with it. I feel, growing up, since I was always so lonely and without guidance, and drew my box so close to myself that I can barely move around in it, cause I never knew I'd need more space than just enough to lie down in. Now I need to devote time to figuring out how to break this goddamn box.

I hate being lonely still, everyone here should know that though I don't post here much anymore. Sometimes I feel that society functions just because people are afraid of being lonely and afraid of dying, those are the root causes of everything that happens in the world around me it seems. People just working to content themselves with the little bit of social interaction they get and the pay they receive. Apparently at some point in people's lives, they content themselves so thoroughly that they pass through life without feeling the transition of time, and decades pass with little changing, and this seems to be how they make this little box they've drawn themselves into their permanent home, and eventually their coffin. The little box is my coffin.

I don't know what to do with myself. I'm not sure what to do. I'm just so scared all the time on the inside. TRANSPARENTEDIT: Also people usually don't respond when I'm trying to say something meaningful, and that makes me sad.

I don't know how to respond to that, but here.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #57844 on: February 02, 2013, 02:55:31 pm »

*hug* It's often because people don't know what to say, or they're afraid they'll say the wrong thing.  I want you to know I've gone through something similar, and so have many, many people.  It's a good thing, in a way.  You've realized you need something from life, something different than other people.  Some people can get their spouse, white house with picket fence and 2.5 children and live happily ever after.  And then there's us, the few people who want to making a lasting change in the world.  Or do something positive for other people to be inspired by.  Or something else, something meaningful and unique.

Don't feel like you've wasted your life, you needed that time to grow up and mature.  It's a part of nature, it simply must be done.  From this point on, you get to decide what you want to do, what you feel is meaningful.  By all means, seek out what you want.  It could be what you were always afraid to do growing up, but always told yourself it was impossible.  It is now possible, it's now possible because you need to do it, you want to do it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57845 on: February 02, 2013, 03:06:12 pm »

Joshua, I think you just perfectly stated what's been going through my mind the past few years. I don't really have any answers myself, but I'm told it gets better. In any case, we're all here for you in spirit, though not physically present.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #57846 on: February 02, 2013, 03:17:20 pm »

You should probably stop making misery speeches if you want to be happy.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #57847 on: February 02, 2013, 03:38:45 pm »

Sad: I think the Chryssalids in the new XCOM game are weak imitations of the original monsters. They infect humans still, but those humans automatically hatch the next turn, instead of using the human as a suit of armor until it reaches your lines. When hatched, they're weakly armored and prone to getting shot down instantly. Old Chryssalids just started tearing humans in half straight from birth. And they would basically always kill a human in close combat, too! These new ones kind of suck at fighting. My assault soldiers can regularly beat them back from point-blank range.
I miss the tension brought about by certain doom.
It's three turns, actually, IIRC.

On my normal run I took down zombies way before the Chryssalids even hatched but in my most recent Ironman Classic games they've been a more serious threat. Mostly since my damn squad misses not one, not two, but three 90+% chances to hit, but even then the chryssalids have displayed a tendancy to eat civvies right out of view so that they zombify en masse and come shambling at me just a bit faster than I can deal with.

Luckily my new squad is much better at aiming, and I have a backup sniper I got from Brazil, I think. I'm working on getting sats up, though, so I'm doing more money missions than missions for squaddies.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57848 on: February 02, 2013, 03:54:12 pm »

Thanks guys, it's very nice to have a place to vent thoughts when I just need a place to vent.

You should probably stop making misery speeches if you want to be happy.

They're an exercise in introspection at the very least, and though I may be depressed both during and after writing them, I feel it elucidates the feelings welling up inside of me.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57849 on: February 02, 2013, 04:02:03 pm »

Electroshock therapy supposedly help against depression :D

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57850 on: February 02, 2013, 04:03:24 pm »

Let's go practice !!MEDICINE!!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #57851 on: February 02, 2013, 04:12:36 pm »

Let's go practice !!MEDICINE!!

I, for one, would rather not be the recipient of the medical equivalent of "Percussive maintenance".

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57852 on: February 02, 2013, 05:15:25 pm »

I heard Ernest Hemingway received electroshock therapy, and it's contributed to his eventual suicide o_O

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57853 on: February 02, 2013, 05:19:12 pm »

Hemingway's suicide probably had to do more with the brain damage he received from bashing the door of a crashed burning airplane open with his skull.

Oh, and the part where he was in two airplane crashes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57854 on: February 02, 2013, 07:25:14 pm »

I thought you were being facetious for a minute there, had to read up on Hemingway.  Anyway, enough about suicide in the sad thread, shall we?

What's making me sad today: texturing 3D models.  The more I do it, the more I despise it.
Pages: 1 ... 3855 3856 [3857] 3858 3859 ... 8167