Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3836 3837 [3838] 3839 3840 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9453381 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57555 on: January 18, 2013, 04:14:57 pm »

Pretty much all the problems with it that people (not necesarilly those of this board) tend to have is that they're on this idea that any progress/science/reason/equality will obviously also tack on deception and the violation of consent (at least, more violation and deception than occurs already. It's a violation of consent to prevent you from discriminating based on race/sex/orientation/whatever, but that discrimination is a violation in and of itself, and one trumps the other.) :I
tl;dr version: The problem you guys have is that you assume people will be people and fuck it all up.

edit: Descan, every time I see your avatar, I think it's Kai's gf.
THANK YOU...I'm not the only one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57556 on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:15 pm »

tl;dr version: The problem you guys have is that you assume people will be people and fuck it all up.
Well, they're right, but that doesn't mean said things are bad.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57557 on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:50 pm »

Wait, I made Kai's gf somehow by accident? o_O

Also comic had way too much text. Preachy at that, too.
It's a text-based "comic" to begin with - this one is actually impressive for how little text it had. The text has primacy with her work, and I'm cool with that. It's a different style than most comics, but it works.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57558 on: January 18, 2013, 04:19:35 pm »

I misread gf as gif for a bit, and confusion ensued.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57559 on: January 18, 2013, 04:22:07 pm »

edit: Descan, every time I see your avatar, I think it's Kai's gf.
THANK YOU...I'm not the only one.
Honestly, me too :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Doctus

• Bay Watcher
  • 黄昏よりも昏きもの…
    • View Profile
« Reply #57560 on: January 18, 2013, 04:24:18 pm »

But they're facing different directions! How could you get confused D:

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57561 on: January 18, 2013, 05:45:26 pm »

1) happy
2) pink
3) upper body + facestuff
4) ???
5) profit
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:48:29 pm by Dutchling »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57562 on: January 18, 2013, 06:25:45 pm »

Ahem, Doc's avatar's hair is purple. This is very important.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57563 on: January 18, 2013, 06:28:49 pm »

Pink-skinned, purple-haired pill-popping policeman is a proficient plunger.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57564 on: January 18, 2013, 06:33:43 pm »

1) happy
2) pink
3) upper body + facestuff
4) ???
5) profit
-1) Wielding a candy cane
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57565 on: January 18, 2013, 07:35:13 pm »

Pink-skinned, purple-haired pill-popping policeman is a proficient plunger.

O, only once one openly acknowledges all aggravating alliterative and similar situations shall serenity supreme rule! Rather, reside, reservedly regal, for few fair forums fondly shelter such snickering, sniggering sorts.

Boom, still got it. And that makes me just a little bit sad.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57566 on: January 19, 2013, 05:53:11 am »

It is sad that the Atheist Doomsday will likely actually be a doomsday, though not in the way you would expect.

With science comes the use of knowledge against wisdom or against the common good
With Progress comes the progress of some but not others as well as the progress in place of positive progress
With Reason comes the pride of knowing and ignorance in other clothing
With Equality comes misunderstanding where equality is confused for a substituted equality

Mind you, that is just one way.

We have yet to hit the "Corporate Crisis" juuuust yet. Though we are getting there.

In a way, all of these have already happened.

Science: War industry. The entirity of the first/second/third world war, the cold war, nukes, whatever ...
Progress: The industrial revolution
Reason: The first world War. A war none of it's contestats wanted to fight, but it was the entirely logical result of the network of alliances and such. More examples can easily be found.
Equality: Stalin's communist regime

You can also find little examples everywhere.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:13:32 am by 10ebbor10 »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57567 on: January 19, 2013, 06:08:15 am »

Pretty much all the problems with it that people (not necesarilly those of this board) tend to have is that they're on this idea that any progress/science/reason/equality will obviously also tack on deception and the violation of consent (at least, more violation and deception than occurs already. It's a violation of consent to prevent you from discriminating based on race/sex/orientation/whatever, but that discrimination is a violation in and of itself, and one trumps the other.) :I

No I don't need to do that at all. Progress on its own is already an extremely flawed concept. It is at its heart vague and very subjective. It can destroy the world on its own without any corruption. Remember that the slaughtering, enslaving, and subjigation of the Native Americans perfectly fits within progress without bending anything. Though you did say "tack on violation of concent" which is funny because violation of concent and progress really go hand in hand.

Progress is simply movement. It is up to someone to define what to them progress is.

That comic created a idealised version of it that is so far removed from reality it is laughable.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #57568 on: January 19, 2013, 06:17:32 am »

Also, the following slavery was also a reasonable thing. Since the native Americans were not very good at surviving the harsh work on plantations, it was decided, logically, that importing African slaves would be a more economical and maybe more humane thing to do.

Point is, that none of the things proposed are fundamentally good things. In fact, fully realising them would be disastrous to the morality of human kind.

Full dedication to science requires the removal of any ethical complaints.
Full dedication to progress implies/requires the destruction of anything old, wherether it was good or bad
Full dedication to reason requires the removal of emotions from decision making, or anything really. While the mechanics behind emotions are entirely reasonable, emotions themselves aren't.
Full dedication to equality requires the elimination of all personnal freedom.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #57569 on: January 19, 2013, 06:42:18 am »

Sippery slopes. They're the same 50-year old lame excuses we've been hearing to date. Thing is, none of those doomsday predictions has taken place, so it's kind of annoying to see them being brought up time and time again as excuses to perpetuate inequality or impose religious moral agendas.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 3836 3837 [3838] 3839 3840 ... 8167