Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3831 3832 [3833] 3834 3835 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456207 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57480 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:12 am »

Sometimes I'm calling people that died a long time ago
Heh, our house gets calls asking for deceased people too.  I think it's just a thing that happens.

Yeah, same here. Which is weird, because before we lived in this house, this house didn't exist.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57481 on: January 16, 2013, 07:28:10 am »

Work is work, to a degree.

On the other hand... did you not know what you were going to be doing before hand, JFH? Telemarketing in general is pretty well known to be nothing short of soulcrushing, and stuff targeting the elderly especially so. Even more so when you're trying to sell something to them that they'd normally be getting through, y'know, their doctor or something. I.e. you're basically trying to talk them into an unnecessary buy. That's... kind of a recipe for a fairly unpleasant line of work, right up front.

Do what you got to do to eat, but if you can drum up the energy to job hunt on the side for something more fulfilling/less scummy, I'd say do that. Perhaps with some fervor :-\

I'll admit, I was being intentionally oblivious to what the job might have required of me. After a year of job searching, and someone seriously wants to hire me? "SURE! Whatever you need done, I'm on it." I was thinking to myself. This might have been too naive.

Gonna hand out some more apps today. I have the places I already applied to written down and I'm gonna call them to follow up in the near future.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57482 on: January 16, 2013, 07:42:17 am »

This is my fault. I suck at math because i didnt fight enough to get my sped teachers to realise i was capable of education on my level.

I fucking suck at math. And i hate it too. And now i have figured out that most of the things i want to do requires top grades on top levels of math.

Fuck engimeering or programming. Fuck it all. I would love doing it, but no.
Now my plan is to either flip burgers untill im too old to work, or just smoke something so my schizo breaks out and i can live on state money the rest of my life.

I am not capable of this anymore. Good bye dreams.
Hello reality. Fuck you, but im stuck with you.

Now im becoming that kind of person i have loathed all the time. A lazy, dumb egoistic overweight fuck that lives on other peoples money, work and gratitiousness.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57483 on: January 16, 2013, 10:16:44 am »

This is my fault. I suck at math because i didnt fight enough to get my sped teachers to realise i was capable of education on my level.

I fucking suck at math. And i hate it too. And now i have figured out that most of the things i want to do requires top grades on top levels of math.

Fuck engimeering or programming. Fuck it all. I would love doing it, but no.
Now my plan is to either flip burgers untill im too old to work, or just smoke something so my schizo breaks out and i can live on state money the rest of my life.

I am not capable of this anymore. Good bye dreams.
Hello reality. Fuck you, but im stuck with you.

Now im becoming that kind of person i have loathed all the time. A lazy, dumb egoistic overweight fuck that lives on other peoples money, work and gratitiousness.

So would something like a math tutor at school be out of the question? 

Programming is, in my opinion, more about logic than math.  Unless you're programming something math-heavy (like the next version of matlab or something crazy), of course.  This is speaking as a professional mainframe assembler programmer.  If you're good with logic puzzles (sudoku, tangrams, etc.) that's what'll help more with programming.  I ended up taking calculus 1/2/3, numerical analysis, and all sorts of other !!fun!! and advanced math classes getting my bachelor's in CS.  I never used that information since, both when getting my master's degree in CS and at my job. 

Unfortunately, getting a college degree does require math classes.  Maybe look at a technical college?  Maybe think about talking to Truean.  I'm pretty sure she's had ... things ... to say about the value of college degrees anymore. 

Laziness is your own problem, and being egoistic isn't necessarily a terrible thing, IMO.

And if you want to do something about being overweight, you could always go vegan >_>

Realistically, though, the best thing is to exercise with a friend/buddy/partner.  I know I read somewhere that if you make an exercise schedule with someone else, you're much more likely to stick to it than if you're doing it by yourself.  My own experience would lend weight to that statement. 

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #57484 on: January 16, 2013, 10:21:43 am »

Math is only required for programming college, scientific programming and video games.

When I got into college, I had ZERO advanced math skills. It just means that you are going to have to work really hard and don't be afraid to start in intermediate math before jumping into calculus and the crazy stuff.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57485 on: January 16, 2013, 12:10:31 pm »

Oh wow wtf i got approved for technical anyway.

Fantastic. SE here we go.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57486 on: January 16, 2013, 01:35:47 pm »

Kid had a major seizure lastnight.  He's had minor episodes before, but this is the first one that I would consider a full seizure, bad enough that we made use of the emergency glucagon shot and called 911.  Just got back from 6 hours in the ER.  Everything's fine now but... ugh...

Remember The Ring?  Remember how people's faces were contorted after Sadako killed them?  My kid made that exact face lastnight.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57487 on: January 16, 2013, 01:38:19 pm »

Sounds like the kid's gonna need medication to control those. Seizures like that are not something to be taken lightly.
My sympathies, SG  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57488 on: January 16, 2013, 01:39:03 pm »

Kid had a major seizure lastnight.  He's had minor episodes before, but this is the first one that I would consider a full seizure, bad enough that we made use of the emergency glucagon shot and called 911.  Just got back from 6 hours in the ER.  Everything's fine now but... ugh...

Remember The Ring?  Remember how people's faces were contorted after Sadako killed them?  My kid made that exact face lastnight.

Im sorry man :(

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57489 on: January 16, 2013, 01:56:49 pm »

Sounds like the kid's gonna need medication to control those. Seizures like that are not something to be taken lightly.
My sympathies, SG  :-\

He's been type 1 diabetic since the age of 4.  It was caused by severely low blood sugar.  Not sure why it dropped the way it did.  This happens sometimes, and we still don't understand why.  His blood sugar will just plummet suddenly when he's asleep.  But only when he sleeps in his bedroom.  He sleeps on the couch in the living room most nights, and we've only ever seen those unusual blood sugar drops when he sleeps in his bedroom.  The bedroom where he claims the door closes and locks itself when he's in there.  Where he claims to hear whispering and fingers touching his back.  I'm not letting him sleep in there anymore.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57490 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:02 pm »

That's not good. Usually when children experience mental abnormalities like that it means nothing and goes away with age, but if it is having a physiological effect something else is going on. I'd get him a psychological examination if I were you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57491 on: January 16, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »

I would also recommend stocking up on silver bullets and holy symbols.

Also, moving might be a good idea too.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57492 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »

Hmm...perhaps it's because I've been watching House lately, but could there be some sort of mold or pest in your kid's room? Potential sources of radiation or fumes? Maybe he's having a bad reaction to something if it ONLY happens in one specific room.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57493 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:20 pm »

That's not good. Usually when children experience mental abnormalities like that it means nothing and goes away with age, but if it is having a physiological effect something else is going on. I'd get him a psychological examination if I were you.

I honestly don't think it's him.  There's more to the story.  The younger one has often seemed to acknowledge something that isn't there.  My wife and a friend have heard whispering near him while he was asleep before, and the same friend has felt fingers on his back while staying over.  I've seen the door to his bedroom move on its own.  And other things.  Noises.  Not easily explainable ones, but things like a loud pounding on a closed door to an empty room.  I could get into quite the conversation about it.  There's been some weird stuff.  It's not just in that room, either, but that's where it seems most focused and where the blood sugar crashes happen.  We've kind of come to accept that there is something strange about, and have some loose ideas about it... but just try to mostly ignore it and get on with life, because it gets more active the more you acknowledge it.  Haven't talked about it here much, because I know there are some extreme skeptical types here that will try to super-analyze it on scraps of information.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57494 on: January 16, 2013, 02:50:05 pm »

I'll hazard a guess and say ghosts. Or hobos in the attic.
Pages: 1 ... 3831 3832 [3833] 3834 3835 ... 8167