Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3816 3817 [3818] 3819 3820 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9460284 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57255 on: January 07, 2013, 11:02:50 pm »

It pretty well describes the way we're headed.  Automation is expanding and businesses are demanding their employees be more and more machine-like.  I'm not plugged into an AI while I'm at work, but I'm micromanaged to a pretty insane and constantly expanding degree.  It's not going to happen exactly like that story, but it's a good simplified scenario to demonstrate the real challenges technology poses to our well-being.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57256 on: January 07, 2013, 11:11:59 pm »

The sad was more about the ending than the beginning. The beginning is just a giant mountain of downhill.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57257 on: January 07, 2013, 11:17:50 pm »

The ending is just incredibly unrealistic, and has some very creepy elements.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57258 on: January 07, 2013, 11:19:54 pm »

I haven't read it in a while, why is the ending sad?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57259 on: January 07, 2013, 11:25:48 pm »

The ending is sad because it goes so far in the opposite direction it might as well have just looped around. We're not going to get to that point without more or less inverting politics all at once.

On a less serious note, because Australia ends up with space elevators and everything great in the history of ever while america turns into a giant lawsuit-inundated mostly-craphole made up of money and clay-based building material.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57260 on: January 07, 2013, 11:28:28 pm »

The ending is sad because it goes so far in the opposite direction it might as well have just looped around. We're not going to get to that point without more or less inverting politics all at once.

On a less serious note, because Australia ends up with space elevators and everything great in the history of ever while america turns into a giant lawsuit-inundated mostly-craphole made up of money and clay-based building material.
It's all the australium.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57261 on: January 07, 2013, 11:29:08 pm »

I remember a short story I read once that had a similar premise (in regards to computers being in charge, sorta).

Basically, humans and some alien life were in a constant war far in the future. They kept launching missiles at each other, but never did much damage. Then one guy shows up with an unheard-of ability: he can do math in his head, without needing a calculator. Basic addition and subtraction at first, but eventually square roots and stuff. The military co-opts his knowledge for a brilliant new strategy: teaching people how to do math so they can pilot newer, better missiles. The one guy commits suicide for contributing to the bloodshed, but it's far too late.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57262 on: January 07, 2013, 11:30:12 pm »

It's all the australium.
Australium is solar-powered and works with optimism instead of whatever Mann Co. practices?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57263 on: January 07, 2013, 11:31:52 pm »

I haven't read it in a while, why is the ending sad?

Because it was a pretty bad ending to a story that began as very thought-provoking, but also because the utopia the characters found themselves in was incredibly shallow. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57264 on: January 07, 2013, 11:35:35 pm »

Not that its going to improve my mood at it at all, but there certainly is a point you might've missed, SG: They tell him (and specifically him) that someone had bought a share in the company for him and one other person. That is why he can leave. Each person can only have one share, and theres usually only so many shares available, correct? Yet later it says 400k people a day are arriving or something like that. How many freaking shares are there to give out?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #57265 on: January 07, 2013, 11:36:25 pm »

I remember a short story I read once that had a similar premise (in regards to computers being in charge, sorta).

Basically, humans and some alien life were in a constant war far in the future. They kept launching missiles at each other, but never did much damage. Then one guy shows up with an unheard-of ability: he can do math in his head, without needing a calculator. Basic addition and subtraction at first, but eventually square roots and stuff. The military co-opts his knowledge for a brilliant new strategy: teaching people how to do math so they can pilot newer, better missiles. The one guy commits suicide for contributing to the bloodshed, but it's far too late.
That's an Asimov short story and it was just humans against humans, because that's how Asimov rolls.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57266 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:52 pm »

That's an Asimov short story and it was just humans against humans, because that's how Asimov rolls.
My bad. It's been several years since I read it, I don't even remember the title :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57267 on: January 07, 2013, 11:38:58 pm »

Not that its going to improve my mood at it at all, but there certainly is a point you might've missed, SG: They tell him (and specifically him) that someone had bought a share in the company for him and one other person. That is why he can leave. Each person can only have one share, and theres usually only so many shares available, correct? Yet later it says 400k people a day are arriving or something like that.

Yeah, I didn't think of it right away, but every time I look back on the story, I'm more convinced that the Australia project is basically an update to the terra cotta public housing system.  They let people think they're escaping, but they're just being warehoused into a Matrix-like existence.  I did notice that slight disconnected the first time I read it, but just thought it was a minor thing the author overlooked.

Which actually makes it into a pretty decent ending, if you choose to interpret it as a very subtle commentary on what a fucked up pandora's box of paranoia transhumanism has the potential to be.  I'm not sure that's how the author intended it, though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:42:50 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57268 on: January 07, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »

I'm tired and not really going to argue about it very well because of that, but at least it was a nicer warehouse than sitting in what could be easily summed up as a architect giant's fun in the mud given durability, less wetness (probably), and LEDs for eternity. The Australia one had replicator bots based off the fact that if you own it, you don't have to buy anything from it, the 'it' being the entire sodding continent of Australia. Thats pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:50:40 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #57269 on: January 07, 2013, 11:50:16 pm »

I feel like I have a Jeckal and Hyde thing going on. By day, I'm my normal self. But by night, I'm...really depressed and sad. :c
Yeah, sooner or later I'm going to vent on life advice one of these nights...   :-\
Pages: 1 ... 3816 3817 [3818] 3819 3820 ... 8167