Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3790 3791 [3792] 3793 3794 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465821 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56865 on: December 21, 2012, 01:59:12 am »

So apparently the Sad thread is in the end-of-the-world-philosophy state.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56866 on: December 21, 2012, 02:09:18 am »

Today is not the end of the world. Today is the beginning of a bold new world, where you will conquer your fears, fulfill all your desires, and bring your goals to fruition. Nay, today shall only be the end of the old way of laziness and apathy, and shall be a new beginning of freedom, truth, love and hope!

Today is the first day of the rest of your lives! [/philosoraptor]

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56867 on: December 21, 2012, 02:11:46 am »

Hm. I've always gone with science. Because proof.
Scientific dogmatist?

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56868 on: December 21, 2012, 02:12:34 am »

I think that indoctrination of children into specific religious/spiritual beliefs is horrific.  That subject should be a personal journey that doesn't begin until such an age as they begin to question on their own initiative.
It makes me sad that more people don't think this. It also on a non-spirituality-oriented bit makes me sad that I have literally the worst short-term memory ever. My long-term memory is amazing but so help me if I want to remember what someone said thirty minutes ago or even if I talked to said person I will not be able to remember it for the life of me.

Come on brain, why won't you work? Please work, as you are going to make me cry if you don't start working properly. I don't like crying. It makes me sad.

Today is not the end of the world. Today is the beginning of a bold new world, where you will conquer your fears, fulfill all your desires, and bring your goals to fruition. Nay, today shall only be the end of the old way of laziness and apathy, and shall be a new beginning of freedom, truth, love and hope!

Today is the first day of the rest of your lives! [/philosoraptor]
Sounds more like Courage Wolf. Speaking of that I recall a thread on /b/ where a new father let post numbers decide what to name his son. Someone picked Courage Wolf and won.

And so was the beginning of the legend of Courage Wolf Harper. Thinking about the possibilities of what a child named Courage Wolf could do after being named after such a strong motivational meme makes me happy and thus isn't really relevant in a sad thread.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56869 on: December 21, 2012, 02:31:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tis a legend indeed

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56870 on: December 21, 2012, 02:36:49 am »

I call bullshit. It can't be that hard to fake a birth certificate.

Though if it is real, it isn't that bad. Nobody will make the connection. "Courage" is kind of an odd name, but I'm pretty sure it's been used before. "Wolf" is even more acceptable, on its own.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56871 on: December 21, 2012, 02:39:51 am »

Well, I think that whole exchange has been resolved.  She still doesn't get it, but I don't think she's going to hold it against me.  Her last comment was 'So I guess this means you don't want Hiro coming with us to church this Sunday, because we were going to invite him...'
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56872 on: December 21, 2012, 02:44:23 am »

Though if it is real, it isn't that bad. Nobody will make the connection. "Courage" is kind of an odd name, but I'm pretty sure it's been used before. "Wolf" is even more acceptable, on its own.
Look at the OP's number, it is 77

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56873 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:49 am »

Well, I think that whole exchange has been resolved.  She still doesn't get it, but I don't think she's going to hold it against me.  Her last comment was 'So I guess this means you don't want Hiro coming with us to church this Sunday, because we were going to invite him...'
Who is "she"? I can't find mention of that before.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56874 on: December 21, 2012, 02:47:53 am »

Look at the OP's number, it is 77
So is the one that recommends "CourageWolf".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56875 on: December 21, 2012, 02:49:14 am »

Who is "she"? I can't find mention of that before.

The friend who was posting fundamentalist panic about "god isn't allowed in schools!"

She's a former neighbor/friend.  She's genuinely nice, we do favors for each other, and our kids are friends who go to the same school.  My main concern was that if she took it badly, I might fuck up our kid's ability to be friends.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56876 on: December 21, 2012, 03:35:11 am »

Do it with the bhagavad gita while you're at it.
Now that I'm earning a little money, I'll probably get my hands on as many holy texts as I can (translated into English, because I suck at languages) and go through all of them, cataloging my finds and reasonings for blacking stuff out.

Also, Japa, that seems like a fascinatingly weird read.

Being totally biased, I would recommend our edition, which offers a word-by-word translation of each verse, as well as in-depth explanations of all of them.

Next time you're in chicago, you can find one at 1716 W Lunt Ave, Chicago, Illinois (That's one of our temples)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56877 on: December 21, 2012, 08:41:56 am »

It pisses me off, because I've already seen signs of my kid being slowly turned Christian by osmosis and peer pressure and even some school teaching.  Just a few days ago he came home and told me "Did you know Christmas is Jesus' birthday?"  I asked him how he learned that and he responded "We sang songs about it in music class!"  He's already told me he believes in god and asks why we don't go to church.  We need to get the fuck out of Indiana.

I feel your pain. We had to switch my kids from a secular preschool to a church preschool about 1.5 years ago, and I was not happy about it. It's that same sort of "Conversion by osmosis" thing you're describing. Made all the more uncomfortable by the fact that Mommy is a Unitarian and Daddy is a Taoist (and I haven't even bothered trying to explain that to them yet). At least now my daughter is into public school and doing the Unitarian church on Sundays, even as my wife now thinks she's basically atheist. (The running joke among Unitarians is that Unitarians are "atheists with kids").

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56878 on: December 21, 2012, 10:24:21 am »

When I was four, I got my hands on a Bible when I was at some relatives' place. I read it through from cover to cover that afternoon (because we didn't have it at home and I didn't want to ask if I could borrow it), and found it the craziest and weirdest book I had ever read. Later that week, I found out that there were millions of people that actually took the stuff in there serious. That was how I lost my faith in humanity.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56879 on: December 21, 2012, 10:28:28 am »

Ah, 'tis the season for hate and misunderstanding.
Looking at humanity, I didn't think there was a specific season for that.  >_>

Laying the verbal smack down on a friend for spreading horribly misinformed and harmful fundamentalist propaganda on my facebook.  She's complaining about god not being allowed in schools.   ::)   Her kids are a couple of my kid's best friends.  I really hope she can be mature about this.
There is a link in my sig.  It is studded with relevance. 

As for my sads, hearing mention of the bhagavad gita reminds me of playing on LegendMUD where they had a quest that acted out the conversation between Arjuna and Krishna.  Oh, actually, found a summary of what to do for the quest.  I really should look into that MUD again.

Also sad that dragons didn't appear today, as I was secretly rooting for the Shadowrun timeline to be true since I was much younger. 
Pages: 1 ... 3790 3791 [3792] 3793 3794 ... 8167