Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3789 3790 [3791] 3792 3793 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466011 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56850 on: December 21, 2012, 12:59:35 am »

It pisses me off, because I've already seen signs of my kid being slowly turned Christian by osmosis and peer pressure and even some school teaching.  Just a few days ago he came home and told me "Did you know Christmas is Jesus' birthday?"  I asked him how he learned that and he responded "We sang songs about it in music class!"  He's already told me he believes in god and asks why we don't go to church.  We need to get the fuck out of Indiana.
So how does this make you any different from her, if her kid started showing atheistic or islamic ideas?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56851 on: December 21, 2012, 01:03:59 am »

Explain to him your views, and explain to him his views. Neither are wrong... per se... Imho a child should be allowed to select his/her own religion, but if it's osmosis/peer/school teaching, then i'd call that tantamount to indoctrination.

What are your views, SalmonGod?

For now I'm waiting to see how this issue develops.  When he brings it up, all I do is plant questions.  I don't want to be heavy-handed about it or determine his beliefs for him, but I don't want him to be indoctrinated either.  I only want to demonstrate critical thinking.

My own views can't be summed up easily.  I have my own idea from a variety of influences.  I'm basically agnostic with some spiritual beliefs (not even beliefs, really, but ideas and leanings), but with specific disbelief in Abrahamic religions.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:07:29 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56852 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:14 am »

The best way you can ensure he never becomes a Christian is to tell him everything about Christianity. Seriously.
This. I read the bible cover to cover, one chapter at a time, with the aid of a lot of questions, a very patient youth pastor, a dictionary, and a thesaurus at the age of six (took me the whole year.) With a sharpie, I blacked out everything that was contradictory, outright evil, or made no sense. Ripped out the page when it was all black, front and back. I wound up giving the cover of that bible to the youth pastor, because there were no pages left, and I had no belief left. I did this again as a teenager (with three bibles [KJV, NIS, and NASB], a translated qu'ran, and a translated torah,) because I desperately wanted to believe in something, as I was going through a very rough patch. No page was spared.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56853 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:22 am »

Do it with the bhagavad gita while you're at it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56854 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:34 am »

It pisses me off, because I've already seen signs of my kid being slowly turned Christian by osmosis and peer pressure and even some school teaching.  Just a few days ago he came home and told me "Did you know Christmas is Jesus' birthday?"  I asked him how he learned that and he responded "We sang songs about it in music class!"  He's already told me he believes in god and asks why we don't go to church.  We need to get the fuck out of Indiana.
So how does this make you any different from her, if her kid started showing atheistic or islamic ideas?

The difference is I'm not teaching my kid anything about religion at his age, and I'd never think about trying to influence another kid's beliefs.  I think that indoctrination of children into specific religious/spiritual beliefs is horrific.  That subject should be a personal journey that doesn't begin until such an age as they begin to question on their own initiative.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56855 on: December 21, 2012, 01:19:57 am »

Do it with the bhagavad gita while you're at it.
Now that I'm earning a little money, I'll probably get my hands on as many holy texts as I can (translated into English, because I suck at languages) and go through all of them, cataloging my finds and reasonings for blacking stuff out.

Also, Japa, that seems like a fascinatingly weird read.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56856 on: December 21, 2012, 01:19:59 am »

The difference is I'm not teaching my kid anything about religion at his age, and I'd never think about trying to influence another kid's beliefs.  I think that indoctrination of children into specific religious/spiritual beliefs is horrific.  That subject should be a personal journey that doesn't begin until such an age as they begin to question on their own initiative.
Except you are. You're deliberately trying to shield him from an ideology that you don't agree with, or at least that's the way I'm reading it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56857 on: December 21, 2012, 01:23:16 am »

On the bright side, he's probably getting all of this stuff from his peers, so it isn't like he's going up against skilled theologians or anything.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56858 on: December 21, 2012, 01:27:28 am »

On the bright side, he's probably getting all of this stuff from his peers, so it isn't like he's going up against skilled theologians or anything.
This seems like the opposite of a good thing. If you're son WERE to convert, wouldn't you prefer that he do so on the basis of sound theological theories as opposed to "god exists"?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56859 on: December 21, 2012, 01:28:21 am »

This seems like the opposite of a good thing. If you're son WERE to convert, wouldn't you prefer that he do so on the basis of sound theological theories as opposed to "god exists"?

Resisting. Urge. To. Make. Insanely idiotic and intolerant comment. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56860 on: December 21, 2012, 01:32:17 am »

Except you are. You're deliberately trying to shield him from an ideology that you don't agree with, or at least that's the way I'm reading it.

I'm not exactly shielding him.  I have no problem with him being exposed to religious beliefs, so long as the framing of this exposure is "This is what some people believe" and he is not exposed to any one religion excessively.  Until children learn critical thinking, they will accept any information given to them as fact.  This is what I want to prevent.  I want whatever set of beliefs he ends up adopting to be the result of his own critical thinking and exploration.  This is my #1 concern.  I don't mind what his beliefs are in the end, even if I disagree with them, so long as his determination of his beliefs was done without the influence of indoctrination.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56861 on: December 21, 2012, 01:35:26 am »

At a very young age, I was Uniting Church tempered with a very strong belief in science. I remember telling my catholic grandparents "I think that God made the initial spark and that science did the rest", 'science' being what I defined as evolution at that age. That seemed to satisfy them. That was when I was five.

These days I'm... I don't know what one would describe it as, but I'd say an 'empirical agnostic'; that is, when indelible proof of a god exists, I would choose whether or not to follow it. Additionally, I'm buddhist of a fairly half-hearted kind.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #56862 on: December 21, 2012, 01:51:15 am »

I thought that too when I was young.
God made the big bang! xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56863 on: December 21, 2012, 01:54:03 am »

Hm. I've always gone with science. Because proof.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #56864 on: December 21, 2012, 01:54:58 am »

strong agnosticism is best agnosticism
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 3789 3790 [3791] 3792 3793 ... 8167